The science; history and assumptions behind the various bike brands ....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XRRX

Race Dog
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
So after 51yrs, I believe I finally understand bike-brand-dynamics at bloody last!!!  :patch: :peepwall:

I was invited for a so-called "Charity ride" today in George - distance about 15km ...  ::) ::) ::)

I arrived on my "Adventure BMW" - unsuspecting of what to expect ....
I was early - but steadily the bikes arrived; in "style" - wheelies with short pants and T-shirt!!!  :eek: :eek: Most of them - of course "bloody f$king" superbikes!!!  :xxbah: :xxbah:
I began to feel proud about my BMW - it's after all a mature decent "upper-class" brand!!!  :biggrin: :biggrin:
Then 2 x S1000RR's arrived - complete with red anodized bolts and nuts; wild  ::) stickers and the whole shebang!!!  :eek: :eek: :eek: ... on their rear wheels !!!  :-[ :-[

We departed - as bloody noisy as possible - superbikers stopping traffic at every intersection for this circus to come through!!!  :eek: ::) :-[

After about 15 measly km the ride was over - at a pub - just a few superbikers still doing some stunts - some with "ladies" on the back - the rest trying to take pics!!!  :eek: :eek: ::)

I finally stripped me "moer" and left in a decent hurry!!!  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Later after a few dbl brandies, I began to understand what just happened ....

The Japs were first with real "superbikes" - and rightfully so earned a name as "Hooligan common brands" !!! ...puke....
BMW always built slow but decent adult bikes - so they enjoy status - class!!! KTM always went for the "rough off-road hooligans" ....
Triumph; Ducati and the rest never knew where to fit in ...  :eek:

But - today - all brands tries everything ... BMW killed their status with the S1000RR!!! ... sorry, now just as common as the rest!!!
KTM also do superbikes ... but do they have anything to loose!!  :deal: ::) ::)

The verdict - forget about the badge on the tank - buy the best bike per class you can !!!  :pot:

... as for me -  was just as embarrassed today to ride a BMW as any other brand-owner ...

These traffic hooligans kill all of our names in society!!!  :xxbah: :xxbah: :xxbah: