Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Any point to crash bars for on-road riding?  (Read 908 times)

Offline Miracle_Salad

Any point to crash bars for on-road riding?
« on: July 18, 2017, 04:19:32 pm »
Hey Guys,

I have been contemplating on the need for installing crash bars onto the bike or just tappet/cylinder covers only?

I dont really take my GS off-road, mainly touring and on road riding. Is there any real point in having the top and bottom crash bar sets? Or just the cylinder covers(to protect from the odd fall over etc)?

What has been your experiences?

Current: '17 BMW GS 1200 LC Trophy
Past: Big Boy SRM 250,'12 Suzuki GSXF650, '09 Honda Fireblade, '16 Harley Davidson Iron 883

IF YOU DON'T WANT TO LOOK LIKE YOU RIDE A BIKE, BUY A CAR.

Offline rohann

Re: Any point to crash bars for on-road riding?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 04:39:22 pm »
I think you must take the slide in consideration if you have a small crash.  Tar takes away metal very quick so I would guess let the crash bar rather take the heat than your cylinder head.

Offline Ouman

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 04:41:25 pm »
Two years ago I attended the Natal Bash at Greytown and during the Saturday outride we shopped around for a cold beer at the shebeens in the Natal midlands and at some point I had to stop on a small downhill to look around were the rest of the crew were going. A gust of wind blew me over to the wrong side and as I put my foot down on the tar it slipped and the bike went down heavily. ONly damage was to the lower crashbar _ which Rassie fixed himself when I sold him the bike. Oh and the mirror came loose.

If it was'nt for those Touratech lower crash bars it would certainly have been an expensive drop from standing still. Get them!
The more bugs in the  teeth....the happier I get!!!!!

Offline Miracle_Salad

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 04:47:35 pm »
Ok cool thanks guys, SARS will be paying me for a change, and I got some extra dolla to spend.

It's either Crashbar set/Cylinder cover or Side soft panniers and brackets.
Past: Big Boy SRM 250,'12 Suzuki GSXF650, '09 Honda Fireblade, '16 Harley Davidson Iron 883

Offline krokonoster

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 08:04:14 pm »
I dont really take my GS off-road, mainly touring and on road riding.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 08:05:02 pm by krokonoster »

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 08:25:08 pm »
A month or ago i was riding in Stellies & hit a diesel slick....tar is a great remover...of skin, clothing, helmet material and metal....get the bars!
You don't have to be going fast to go down fukken hard... ;)
'Routine is the thief of time'

Offline kwassi

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 07:02:02 am »
Get atleast cylinder head protectors. he ones that cover most of the head.
Solo travellers should not be considered unsociable, they are expressing their independence until they choose to do otherwise.

Offline spankme

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 07:31:04 am »
A month or ago i was riding in Stellies & hit a diesel slick....tar is a great remover...of skin, clothing, helmet material and metal....get the bars!
You don't have to be going fast to go down fukken hard... ;)

I thought it was a dog that ran in front of you :biggrin:

Offline Miracle_Salad

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 09:20:49 am »

LOL, I only own a bike and dont have a car. If it gets wrecked in the dirt im stuck without transport  :-\ for now, im leaning on the side of wisdom. 

Offline krokonoster

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 09:37:38 am »

LOL, I only own a bike and dont have a car. If it gets wrecked in the dirt im stuck without transport  :-\ for now, im leaning on the side of wisdom.

Was pulling your leg dude!  lol   (also sold my car and seeing how long I can get along with only the bike...but one of the stupid ones that go make kak weekends on gravel)

Offline Miracle_Salad

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 09:45:14 am »

Was pulling your leg dude!  lol   (also sold my car and seeing how long I can get along with only the bike...but one of the stupid ones that go make kak weekends on gravel)
Yeh i know :) im so eager to do a bit of light dirt riding though. Never done offroad riding, would probably need a bit of training etc to!

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Offline krokonoster

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 09:48:17 am »
I'm a n00b but expert at learning the hard way by now (4 courses so far this year, saw my gat many a times)

Do an intro course ( a few times even) and stick to doing / practicing that till you can perfect the basics they teach you.

I moved to intermediate courses too soon....    some nasty scratches on my scooter  / torn R8000 pants / 2 holes in my leg ... take it easy / patience is the key IMO.

Offline Miracle_Salad

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2017, 11:51:26 am »
Sorry to re-open this again, but I notice alot of people praising the effectiveness of the LOWER crash bars. Is there any point to the Upper ones then?

Thinking of getting the lower crash bars and then using some of the leftover cash for Spotlights that fit near the beak :D

Offline kwassi

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 11:54:19 am »
I have both and it has saved the plastics a couple of times. I'm also getting the cylinder head protectors.

The Rockfox bars is well priced and leaves space for the MachineArt Moto cylinder head protectors.
Solo travellers should not be considered unsociable, they are expressing their independence until they choose to do otherwise.

Offline Miracle_Salad

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 12:03:47 pm »
I have both and it has saved the plastics a couple of times. I'm also getting the cylinder head protectors.

The Rockfox bars is well priced and leaves space for the MachineArt Moto cylinder head protectors.

Yes im looking at the rockfox ones to, but for mainly on-road riding? Still necessary to have both, or are they "Nice to Haves".

Offline kwassi

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2017, 12:08:29 pm »
On road probably nice to have for the top but I'll still go bottom crashbar plus cylinder head protectors.
My cylinder heads already have a number of scratches and the Bmw cylinder head protectors was ripped and bend.

The following users thanked this post: hleroux

Offline Miracle_Salad

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2017, 12:15:14 pm »
On road probably nice to have for the top but I'll still go bottom crashbar plus cylinder head protectors.
My cylinder heads already have a number of scratches and the Bmw cylinder head protectors was ripped and bend.

Ya thats the plan, to look at the cylinder covers at well. Thanks for the feedback man!

Online ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2017, 12:20:43 pm »
Most "falls" are usually in a driveway or parkinglot.

Get cbars or cillinder guards or both. You will not be sorry.

I have stock. :thumleft:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S3354.712 E01828.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2017, 12:21:46 pm »

disclaimer: we sell crash bars...

customer of ours offered us her Rockfox bars for display, after a car pulled out in front of her and she want down (BMW 700GS, so no side pots, but still...)

you have to see that flat profile (formerly round!) to believe it!

Chris
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 12:25:52 pm by zebra - Flying Brick »
Chris & Team 021 510 6455 S3354.712 E01828.208

MARINE DRIVE, into NEPTUNE street, 2nd left into SHROPSHIRE street, on the right hand side.
021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za sales@flyingbrick.co.za  support@flyingbrick.co.za
S3354.712 E01828.208

Offline krokonoster

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2017, 12:22:37 pm »

Get cbars or cillinder guards or both. You will not be sorry.

Better both...this is from the beginning when I thought crash bars alone is enough...