Go West on the N14

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

machanicmike

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
BMW (all models)
So Go west on the N14

Started out last year when the Misses said she wants to see the Namaqualand flowers in Bloom . So I said Ok when she suggested on motorcycles .
Dates for the trip were 5 august -12 august
So the planning was fun  organising the bikes luggage and the route was all helped to be easier thanks to this forum .

https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=211634.0

Bought both motorcycles , comms and luggage from peeps on the forum . Great help thanks Lads

So bikes  The Misses is on a 2012 Honda Tornado  and I was On A 2011 KTM 690 Enduro R
Luggage was giant Loop and some oxford soft luggage that would be divided between the 2 bikes.    I would be the ''watercarrier'  so spares tools and the like with Me and the soft light stuff with the misses .

The route was the last part of the N14. Upington ,Spingbok Kleinzee, hondeklipbaai ,Klein Pella and back to Upington

Friday Evening was eventful to say the least loading bikes and unloading bikes took its toll on my patience but i got it all done by about 10 pm . Try and load bikes the night before  and then park the bakkie in the garage  :-\      bIkes too tall for the garage door. unload .......    you get the picture .. 

Saturday  we left for Upington at about 8;30    and made our way done the N14  . Can somebody explain all the lefts and rights on that road  . 
Any way  we stopped in Kuruman and had a quick look at the eye  and decided to get the car/bakkie section of the trip done first  . We pull into Upington at about 16;30 .  Dinner and then sleep ... :bueller:

The following Morning was to be a sink or swim moment. Loaded bikes fuel tanks and off we went . Keimoes was the first port of call for Coffee
mistake number 1 dress correctly    Mistake number 2 .. Do a test with all the luggage and kit before departing on the Journey
But with eskom not working on a sunday in `Keimoes for a short while . No Coffe  we had to Plod on  . We did the photo thing at the Orange river and continued to Kakamas for Coffee  ......
Mistake number 3 remember where you pack your ear plugs ..... and DONT TELL THE MISSES TO HURRIE UP  ( very steady and safe rider  only been on a
bike since last year this time ) Helmet comms went silent for a while while tempers calmed and Poffadder  drew closer > Lunch in Poffadder mmmm wasnt the best but better than going hungry . Topped off tanks and headed for Springbok  at 90kph  it was a long but with regular stops and pics we were there at about 16;30    . This was to be Home for 2 nights  . a bit of a rest day as this was the longest We had ever ridden in 1 go .
Dinner and BED    was lights out very quickly .

The following Morning was a quest to find where the Flowers were Blooming and where  there were ,,,..... :-[  You Guessed it not a good flower year    ....
So what to do  go searching for flowers .

The First real taste of Sand roads

https://goo.gl/maps/1qW3mZcrvq82  Click the link to see the route

By now  mistake number .....  Get some time on gravel /sand roads so you dont travel at a snails paces. Ive ridden some off road but the Misses hasnt  so time was taken but in retrospect  it was a good thing . Sun was out the birds were singing and we were riding ours Bikes  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Sand road was not too bad on the 690  if it got squerly Lean back and gas it    on the Tornado Paddle for all you worth Or try and lean back and gas it  again Newbie Rider the Misses is ploding along like a camp....  8)

Lunch In kamieskroon and return via the N7 back to Springbok with some stops to take pics of flowers    a bush here and a bush there....

More to follow
Pics to follow