My SR250 delivery bike ... and some Nostalgia from the past

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blauth

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
This topic is a little late but rather late than never and here are a few pics of my latest little project, an early 80's Yamaha SR250 delivery bike.....possibly the most reliable motorcycle on earth.

The design brief is simple......a simple street scrambler that is just easy to live with, practical, low maintenance and a joy on short little cafe trips.....maybe longer as I tend to do on little bikes.

Firstly......Help:
- Where can I get some parts chromed in Midrand/Pretoria area?
- I need to get new shocks OR softer springs turned for the existing rear shocks. These startline shocks are sprung for a 5 ton bike. The problem is the shocks are 400mm eye to eye, very long. Only other twin shock bikes out there with that length are the old scramblers like XR250's

This is a quick summary of what I've done:
Cosmetic
==========
- Cut the subframe off and moved it up about 50mm
- Custom rear loop welded onto subframe with attachment points for rear fender.
- Cleaned up tabs and stuff on frame that were no longer required.
- Powder coated everything: frame, wheels, fittings etc.
- Fabricated custom seat, battery box, headlamp and front fender mounts, modified exhaust, rear fender, front tripple clamp loop to keep wires neat and together.
- Cut new front fender from existing front fender. This is now mounted high up like an old school scrambler.
- Relocated ignition switch to under tank, just in front of carb.

Mechanical
==========
- New tyres. These are quite pricey for such little tyre @ about R2300 for both.
- Rebuilt forks (seals, oil and cleaned up). Fitted fork boots.
- New front and back wheel bearings
- I bought a new speedo drive gear from Yamaha, must still fit it.
- New steering head bearings (ouch, expensive from Yamaha - about R600.00)
- New swingarm bushes (ouch, expensive from Yamaha)
- New carb vacuum slide (ouch, expensive from Yamaha - about R1500.00).
- I fitted a little wire mesh tyre air filter. Cheap and simple.
- New original Yamaha round decals for the tank. This was an extravagance because they were about R380.00 for two but they will look tit when I'm done. It will add the air of a quality build.
- New primary chain and sprockets.
- Fitted custom headlamp
- Fitted dirt bike handle bars
- Pulled wiring harness apart and shortened where necessary and made necessary modifications. I really struggled to to get the starter to work because I couldn't figure out why the starter solenoid wasn't getting current when I pushed the switch. Turns out, the earth is through the handle bars which have now been powder coated...hence no connection and hence no circuit. This took me about 6 hours to figure out and the fix took me about two minutes..  :dousing:
- New battery
- Adjusted timing chain. I don't think it's every been adjusted in the bikes history. I was convinced the engine needed a rebuild because it clattered and banged so much. Anyway, after timing chain adjustment, sounds sweet. The engine doesn't even smoke. I also adjusted the valve clearances.
- I installed an integrated LED tail light / indicator strip on the rear loop.
- Fitted a slightly larger main jet to compensate for the mesh airfilter and open exhaust. I also adjusted the air/fuel mixture slightly to get the idling and bottom end nice. Minimal time spent on this.
- Cut the exhaust, welded the inner (it's double skinned), repaired a hole and fitted a shorty muffler.
- Fitted new clutch and brake lever and gear change lever.
- Fitted new tyres. There is a very limited choice available for the 16"/18" combo so unfortunately they are street tyres but in reality, this is fine, it is a 'Street scrambler'.
- Serviced engine.

To Do:
============
- Paint the tank; base colour white, black tapered stripe following the black from the top of the seat, red circles on the side in which the original Yamaha tuning fork logo's will fit. I'm also going to paint RED knee pads on the tank. This is going to look so cool.
- Chrome: engine covers, tapped inspection covers, front fender, rear fender.
- Install indicators on front (I have cheapies that will go on for now but may want to install better quality one's down the line).
- Maybe install another rear tail light because the Road Worthy place will most likely complain about the LED strip that I've installed on the rear loop. I may need to also install additional rear indicators too.
- Bar end mirrors (still need to buy).
- Speedo unit. Not sure what I want to do here because I want the front to stay the way it is, simple and uncluttered. I've fitted an electronic speed behind the bars on one of my previous Bonneville's. Probably do the same here.
- Sort out these shit rear shocks that I got from Startline. Jeez, they are ridiculous, it's like riding a hard tail they are so stiff.
- Sort our brake light switches.
- It needs new clutch plates, I can feel they slip a little in top gear. I haven't inspected them but I'm sure it's time.
- Make a plan to 'fender' the front part of the rear tyre so it doesn't spray kak all over everything.
- Get licensing and paperwork up to date. It's all there, just license is R800.00 back dated so must get that all sorted. This is the most important thing for the little bike.
- Engine breather filter. I want one of those wire mesh types in Red to go with the colour scheme.

Summary:
This little bike is one of the best built bikes I've ever had the pleasure of working on. The switch gear is all housed in metal casings, everything is quality on this little bike. The carb is so simple. Everything is easy to get to e.g. to get to the carb bowl, it takes about two minute, remove the entire carb in 2.5 minutes. Tapped cover access, maybe five minutes. A full service will not take more than 30 minutes.

I've had the bike for more than a year. I've never ridden it before this weekend. I bought it as a 'non-runner' (just started) for R4500.00. I got to ride it for the first time  :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:. Look. it's not going to win any races but it fires up really quickly, sounds neat, and goes really well. The chassis is now nice and solid with all new bearings and bushes everywhere. The wide bars really give you a great feel when riding this little thing and it's weight is probably down to about 110kg. To move it around my garage, I just grab it with one hand on the handle bar and push it around, it's awesome. The real letdown on the ride are the super stiff rear shocks. That's an absolute must to fix up.

I'm not exactly sure what it's cost to date but probably about R16500. Not too bad considering a new Honda CRF250 Rally is marketed at 85k.    :imaposer:

Attachments

• 20170729_171430.jpg
    20170729_171430.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 454
  • 20170729_171445.jpg
    20170729_171445.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 453