Discharging Carnet or TIP in South Africa (Ugandan bike)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Hi,

I have just bought a DR 650 in Kampala and intend to ride it down to South Africa on a Carnet (or TIPs as the case may be).

My query concerns what to do with it when I get to South Africa.  The bike is not worth much so I would be happy to scrap it, donate it, or pay the import duties. Is it an option to arrange any of these avenues after bringing the bike into Sth Africa on a Carnet or TIP (would prefer not to have to arrange an import process prior to arriving in Sth Africa)? Does anyone have any experience with this, or able to recommend an agent/helper? 

Would like to avoid having to ride it back up, but would also consider doing any of the above options in nearby countries like Botswana or Mozambique etc. Also, I would be happy to hear from anyone potentially interested in riding it back to Uganda.

If you can help me out, there may be a free bike in it for you (and of course, I'm happy to reimburse an agent for assistance if the option is to scrap or donate)!

Cheers,
Stu