Sparkies Assemble - Reg/Rect question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kortbroek

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR650R
I got hold of a LED auto replacement light and two 10w spots. I am going to mount these on a XR650R.
For those unfamiliar with the XRR. The wiring runs two parallel circuits, 1)AC circuit that powers tail light and headlight and 2)AC to DC circuit that powers the horn, indicators etc.
I am already running a radiator fan, vapor, gps and usb power points from the stock reg/rect. I have no idea what the spec of the stock setup is though so don't want to risk overloading it.
My plan is to take the AC supply that currently powers the headlight and put a reg/rect on that then power the new LED headlight and spots from this.

So question 1) The AC line to the current headlight is already regulated to 12V, will fitting a full reg/rect setup cause problems? Should I only mount a rectifier?
Question 2) Would I need to add a capacitor? I'm guessing that voltage fluctuation can be accommodated by the LED unit so a capacitor is not crucial? If a capacitor is needed, what size? I'm guessing around 2000-2500uf? Seeing as I'm only running lights on this setup a small cap to remove "noise" should not be needed?

I'm thinking of just buying a 12v Reg/Rect of the shelf. Where should I go and which one should I buy? It needs to handle 100w at 12V to be safe.

Edit: For those not in the know, the XRR is a real bike and doesn't have a battery  :deal:

Thanks in advance  :thumleft: