Living my dream!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madmac

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
Hi all you Wild dogs,

Just wanted to introduce myself and say hi. I am a new motorcyclist and feel like a pig in mud with my near 40 year dream (I'm 43 now) finally been lived. It started at the age of 5, riding a PW50 and from that moment, I always wanted a motorbike. At the age of 16, I managed to convince my folks that I needed one much to their reluctance. I had a friend who was busy doing a rebuild on a MT50 and I could buy it for R500 (back in 1990). Sadly it didn't come together and I couldn't find another deal at that price and my father wasn't prepared to part with more money (I even had the helmet on standby).

Life took over and was never really in a position to buy a bike for various reasons (money, wife, kids, life, etc). My brother was obsessed with BMW and has been riding them for the last 25 years (he has 5 in his stable) so his influence was always there nudging me along. I remember the F650 coming out and thinking I wanted one, and then the F800 came out and I wanted one (the 1200 never really grabbed me). Anyway, long story short, in June I was looking at a FB for sale forum and there suddenly was an ad for a F800 GS. The mileage was good, the price was good and I thought time to live my dream. I spoke to my girlfriend who thought it was a midlife crisis and I told her my story. She still thought I was crazy and said she didn't approve.... I said well that's tough because I'm doing it. That was a Monday. I went and booked my learners test at Kempton Park and managed to get an opening for the Thursday. I also phoned Red Star racing and managed to get on their beginners riding course for the Sunday. So Thursday I got my learners, Sunday I did the course and Monday night I collected my F800 (within a week, it all came together).

Four months on and I am living my dream! I tell everyone that it's the best thing I have ever bought (despite loving and onto my 3rd Audi). Some people find it hard to believe that I took such a bold step so quickly. But you have to understand, I have been riding bicycles my whole life and the last 10 years, Mountain biking has been my biggest passion. I come with a lot of experience in riding and yes I know, having a motor between my legs comes with a lot more responsibility, I do believe with cycling experience, it's given me a big advantage over other motorbike novices. I have a huge heart for adventure and love roughing it so the GS symbolises what I want from a motorbike. I have dreamt of travelling the globe on motorbikes my whole life and I am one step closer now.

I have made some new friends and love the community. I was on a recent ride with 2 friends and we stopped for a coffee and a chat. Another biker pulled in and came and sat and chatted with us. The significance is he belonged to a bike club from Soweto, a black guy who through the common love of motorbikes, we found unity in a country where there is still a huge divide. This can only be a good thing and may the divide get smaller and smaller.

So that's my intro to all you dogs. Respect all of mankind, live your dreams and love your life, no one gets out alive!!

Best wishes,
Gareth