Is this a Scam?---Gumtree--- remote buyer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freefalk

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R80GS
I've advertised a Vespa for sale on Gumtree.
Buyer has approached me via the app.
Agrees to buy the bike.
Says he is Offshore... so doesn't trustt EFT... wants to use paypal.
I have paypal account. send my details to him.

Then this mail comes in------
Thanks for the details but  I need to inform you about this, i just received an email from my pick agent am most sure i include that in my previous email, she said she won't come for the pick up unless i pay her the agent commission fee via shoprite first in order to be able to schedule a pick up time, i would have love to pay them directly via shoprite but there is no way i can pay online ! so i have to ask you to help me with the pick up fees, i will include the R2500 they charged to pick it up and take it my home(1st class treatment), to the payment i will sending into your PayPal account, so after i have made the payment I will need you to help me send the R2500 to my pick up agent through Shoprite.I will be sending total payment of  R15,350 into your PayPal account ,which means R12,500 for the Item, while R2500 for the Pick-Up fee. I have also included the shoprite charges which is R50 and extra R300 for the stress ok
I will be making the payment if you agree to help with this.

So its the part where I get nervous and back out. even though Paypal is bullet proof.

Is this a set up. Me having to forward money? There is no real risk to me is there. Still it seems off. Anyone had an experience like this?