Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Brussels Move  (Read 33474 times)

Offline Bensien

Re: Brussels Move
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2017, 11:01:55 pm »
Iíve spent a quite a bit of time in Belgium. What I liked (besides the beer) was the public transport system. You can  live in in in a country village like Tremelo and commute to Brussels or Antwerp every day. And if you are bored, Paris, Cologne and Amsterdam are just a short hop away. I was once offered a position at the WCO in Brussels, which I foolishly declined. I wish I could turn back the clock.
Why do things that only happen to stupid people always happen to me?

Offline Splash

« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2017, 08:04:51 am »
Iíve spent a quite a bit of time in Belgium. What I liked (besides the beer) was the public transport system. You can  live in in in a country village like Tremelo and commute to Brussels or Antwerp every day. And if you are bored, Paris, Cologne and Amsterdam are just a short hop away. I was once offered a position at the WCO in Brussels, which I foolishly declined. I wish I could turn back the clock.
You are right about the trains. From Brussels one can catch the Thalys train and get to Parys, Amsterdam or London within an hour or two. The beauty is that it gives airlines and airport security the finger. Much easier to just arrive and get on a train without having to worry about boarding times and security checks. Not to mention criminal airport parking fees or additional airport public transport fees (Brussels airport adds Ä5).
Gone traveling.

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2017, 02:57:25 pm »
Are you going to get a bike? ;D
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Splash

« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2017, 09:35:40 pm »
Are you going to get a bike? ;D
Terrible question. Have been looking longly at bikes. Will see. Can hear dirt bikes in the forests and do see tracks. One little step at a time for me. Am sure to let you all know.
Gone traveling.

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2017, 07:38:58 am »
Well anyone riding before March is nuts so you have some time ;D
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Ganjora

« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2017, 12:22:15 pm »
Was in brussels in 95 when i did my european adventure.
Loved the old town centre.
Loved the beer.
If only europe was a little warmer and lawless like africa,  i could live there...

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2017, 10:50:08 pm »
Will be in Brussels next week for a few days with family to show them where I lived and grew up blah blah.....looking forward to it.

Staying close to the grand place like all good tourists but will show them my Belgium tattoo so they donít try rip me off.  :ricky:

Gonna be interesting to see their expressions when I drive on the left like all civilized nations do......
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 10:52:11 pm by IceCreamMan »
Swim.Bike.Run.Eat.Sleep

Offline Splash

« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2017, 06:52:53 pm »
Last chance to visit the Aachen Christmas Market. A Ä30 return train tick and a two hour trip. They definitely know how to celebrate Christmas. Merry Christmas to everyone and a happy New Year.

Gone traveling.

Offline Splash

« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2017, 07:59:48 pm »
Went to the beach today - by train a little more than an hour away. Still no white Christmas for me.
Gone traveling.

Offline Splash

« Reply #49 on: December 25, 2017, 02:37:36 pm »
Christmas Morning cycle in the forests.
Gone traveling.

Offline Splash

« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2017, 07:32:08 pm »
Easy walk around a beautiful city - Antwerp. 30 minutes by train from Brussels.
Gone traveling.

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2017, 08:35:30 am »
Nice - thanks for posting - beautiful forest that!

Hope you had a good Christmas.
Eat life!

The following users thanked this post: Splash

Offline Sam

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2017, 09:13:12 am »
Everything looks so "civilised" there. Lekker!

Have you been to Brugge yet? Quite a cool little dorpie. To my knowledge, there's also a pretty good military museum in Brussels that apparently worth visiting.

I was where you are now a couple of Christmas' back....no snow, but bloody cold!!

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2017, 04:28:24 pm »
Thanks for the beautiful photographs! I am riding through the hot Karoo and these sommer make me feel chilled.
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2017, 10:17:58 am »
Arrived in Brussels last night, driving around the city on the wrong side of the road is hellova stressful but thatís a learning curve.
Walked around the grand place and hit the touristy bars for beer as one does. The population of Brussels has changed since I lived here thatís for sure.

Went for a run this morning up to the basilica and around Bruxelles, beautiful city it is. More beautiful than most I reckon.

Now for more beer an hit the tourist traps. Beer prices in the grand place and tourist places are on par with my local in uk so not to bad, makes the eyes water when paying in rands though.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 10:50:06 am by IceCreamMan »
Swim.Bike.Run.Eat.Sleep

Offline Splash

« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2017, 02:18:01 pm »
Arrived in Brussels last night, driving around the city on the wrong side of the road is hellova stressful but thatís a learning curve.
Walked around the grand place and hit the touristy bars for beer as one does. The population of Brussels has changed since I lived here thatís for sure.

Went for a run this morning up to the basilica and around Bruxelles, beautiful city it is. More beautiful than most I reckon.

Now for more beer an hit the tourist traps. Beer prices in the grand place and tourist places are on par with my local in uk so not to bad, makes the eyes water when paying in rands though.
Give me a shout. Am at work though. Someone has to.
Gone traveling.

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2017, 07:11:53 pm »
Splash - You should pop down to some of the WWI battlefields. Truly worth it. :deal:

Offline Splash

« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2017, 08:28:05 pm »
A note. Do not buy a local computer. My hard drive died on Tuesday, ordered a computer on Wednesday and it arrived Thursday morning - great. Wanted to send it back because the Russias had hacked my keyboard. In Belgium ... they have AZERTY keyboards!!!

Christmas Holidays

In Brussels over Christmas with no plans. In haste, looked up train timetables and asked for advice on where to go. Got several suggestions for my four days for four trips.

Turned out Aarchenís Christmas Market was ending so that became my first outing on Saturday. Was apprehensive about the distance so made an early start. It was so early, the station still had homeless people hanging around from the night before. Got a return ticket with one stop for Ä31. Seemed like a bargain to me. Was not the only one on the train with a similar plan. A festive holiday mood was present, no Ő have to go workī unhappiness. Changed trains in a town called Verviers. Was not hard to find my connection, just followed the crowd.   

Aachen is a beautiful historic German town with something to prove for Christmas. The market was fantastic. Loved the food and bought a loaf of dark bread to take home and some gingerbread biscuits.

Sunday seemed like a beach day to me. Made my way back to the train station and for Ä20 got a return ticket to Ostend. The train was empty. Not really the weather for swimming. Anyway, was not disappointed and the sea provided a perfect setting for a walk along the promenade. Loved watching dogs being taken for walks, little children misbehaving and kite surfers (bigger children). Have to go back in summer.

Christmas day was a slow day with little happening. Had planned to do a cycle ride through the local forest. Was not disappointed and loved the piece. Went through Tervuren and saw some people singing English carols. The town has a large expat community. Back home and I readied myself for free movies from my cable provider. Managed four and called it a good effort.

On my fourth day, needed more excitement and headed for Antwerp. Was in good company as the city was busy. Lots of people from the Netherlands. Obviously worth the drive. Climbed a 10 story building with a panoramic viewing deck only to be stuck by how flat the earth looked, at least in Antwerp.
Back home and happy to have had my four days of holiday for Christmas. Merry Christmas to you all. Hope it was for you all you had wished for.

Gone traveling.

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2017, 10:28:37 pm »
Merry Christmas! As someone who hasn't owned a TV for probably 10 years now, your effort seems excellent  :imaposer:

Sounds great, thank you for sharing, also beautiful photos  ;)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 08:37:34 pm by Ri »
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline landieman

• Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2017, 03:07:00 pm »
nicely done Splash!!always great to see hard work paying off  :thumleft:
don't worry about things you can't change,change the things you can.