Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Brussels Move  (Read 33943 times)

Offline immigrant

Re: Brussels Move
« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2017, 01:51:16 am »
Seems like you are settling in nicely Splash. Keep the pictures coming. I find Europe fascinating. But I doubt I will ever go there - to many people. It will make me nervous.
Yamaha Super Tenere, Yamaha FZ8, Yamaha Grizzly, Yamaha Viking, Honda CRF250L

The following users thanked this post: Splash

Offline landieman

• Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2017, 06:35:29 am »
not to mention the suspect syrian "refugees"
don't worry about things you can't change,change the things you can.

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2017, 09:41:52 am »

In Brussels they have put cement blocks to prevent access,to vehicles to the tourist areas, there are also army patrols so they are vigilant as due to the history they have been the victim of a number of attacks. Of course it won’t stop a person wearing a vest blowing themselves up in the grand place which is full of people when they do the light show off,the fantastic buildings.

I guess it’s a sign of the times. The population of Brussels has changed, I was expecting that what I did not expect was the number of South Americans, Peruvians mainly.

Alas, also many beggars, sometimes whole families living on the streets, almost always of North African descent. Damn sad to see kids living on the streets.
Swim.Bike.Run.Eat.Sleep

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2017, 10:36:39 am »
Splash, in the one seaside picture is that a kite surfer in the background, being Welsh I understand cold water.  :peepwall:
Duirt me leat go raibh me breoite. Courtesy of Spike

Offline Splash

« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2017, 10:58:51 am »
Splash, in the one seaside picture is that a kite surfer in the background, being Welsh I understand cold water.  :peepwall:
Looked like great fun. Exceptionally envious. Wind was not a problem!
Gone traveling.

Offline Splash

« Reply #65 on: December 30, 2017, 11:03:03 am »

In Brussels they have put cement blocks to prevent access,to vehicles to the tourist areas, there are also army patrols so they are vigilant as due to the history they have been the victim of a number of attacks. Of course it won’t stop a person wearing a vest blowing themselves up in the grand place which is full of people when they do the light show off,the fantastic buildings.

I guess it’s a sign of the times. The population of Brussels has changed, I was expecting that what I did not expect was the number of South Americans, Peruvians mainly.

Alas, also many beggars, sometimes whole families living on the streets, almost always of North African descent. Damn sad to see kids living on the streets.
Taken visible policing to another level. Not taking any chances. Somehow, might work. Does make the city look like a Hollywood set. Feel sorry for the soldiers having to spend their days in a railway station!
Gone traveling.

Offline Splash

« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2017, 09:54:41 pm »
Being the New Year weekend, Brugge was on the agenda.

Gone traveling.

The following users thanked this post: IceCreamMan

Offline Splash

« Reply #67 on: December 31, 2017, 07:46:25 pm »
Arlon, a little village. Very nice train ride. In the east of the country.

Gone traveling.

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #68 on: December 31, 2017, 08:33:40 pm »
Mmmmm those cakes  :thumleft:

So much history there hey.

I was looking at those retaining blocks filled with flowering plants and thought how it looks here in SA - would never look like that!

Enjoy!
Eat life!

Offline Splash

« Reply #69 on: December 31, 2017, 10:18:23 pm »
Mmmmm those cakes  :thumleft:

So much history there hey.

I was looking at those retaining blocks filled with flowering plants and thought how it looks here in SA - would never look like that!

Enjoy!
They have also done the same along the railway line, except in big blocks. Should look better than a concrete wall. Unfortunately, everything is dead at the moment.
Gone traveling.

Offline Splash

« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2018, 08:55:55 pm »
All things have a beginning and so too they must have an ending. Took my last two trips before next year.

First was on Saturday to Brugge. An amazing tourist city with cruise ships of visitors descending on the town. Enjoyed the festive atmosphere walking around the old city centre. A pleasure to be able to enjoy the architecture and the tourists. Do plan to make another trip back, just need to check my timing.

Second on my list was, well, not really sure what I wanted. Decided on Aarlen as it is in the south-west of Belgium, and that was about it. Was a wonderful train ride into the mountains.

The city itself was nothing exceptional. Was still nice to walk up to the cathedral which has a great view of the town. Did not hang around long and was soon back on my way home.

Enough excitement for this year and needed a day to rest.

Happy New Year to you all and may 2018 be just the best ever.

Gone traveling.

Online Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #71 on: January 03, 2018, 10:05:35 am »

Happy New Year to you all and may 2018 be just the best ever.

Thanks for the lovely posts and photo's.

Best wishes to you too for 2018!  :cheers:
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline Splash

« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2018, 07:57:16 pm »
Went to Bergen today - a pretty city which I would like to visit again.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 11:30:29 am by Splash »
Gone traveling.

Online Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2018, 09:27:17 pm »
Beautiful photo's! That wooden sculpture/art work looks like something from Africa Burn.
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline eberhard

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
« Reply #74 on: January 15, 2018, 05:23:40 pm »
I only recently started following your fred and I like what I see. Some really great pictures you’ve put up.

Keep it up.  :thumleft:

Where possible, give information as to the daily hang of things, e.g. how’s the shopping there, restaurants, somewhere to sit for a coffee and snack, service in general, law enforcement, bureaucracy, red tape, the neighbours, people in general, etc. A bit of gossip, you know those juicy bits.
eberhard
Agostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Beware the 250 roost !
« Reply #75 on: January 17, 2018, 02:04:03 pm »
Splash when you get a chance head south to Amiens in France, the cathedral is something to behold. The pinnacle of Gothic architecture  :thumleft: Only 2h40 drive.
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline Splash

« Reply #76 on: January 20, 2018, 07:36:54 pm »
I only recently started following your fred and I like what I see. Some really great pictures you’ve put up.

Where possible, give information as to the daily hang of things, e.g. how’s the shopping there, restaurants, somewhere to sit for a coffee and snack, service in general, law enforcement, bureaucracy, red tape, the neighbours, people in general, etc. A bit of gossip, you know those juicy bits.

Life is actually very boring and normal. Let me know if you would like to know something specific.
Gone traveling.

Offline Splash

« Reply #77 on: January 20, 2018, 07:37:48 pm »
Tournai in the rain. Some pictures. This train leaves from my home station, so did not have to go to Brussels first.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 10:12:49 am by Splash »
Gone traveling.

The following users thanked this post: IceCreamMan

Offline eberhard

« Reply #78 on: January 20, 2018, 10:16:14 pm »

Life is actually very boring and normal. Let me know if you would like to know something specific.

Maybe I was too subtle. HOW ARE THE GIRLS THERE?!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 10:17:18 pm by eberhard »
eberhard
Agostini 1000
R90S
R80/7

Offline eberhard

« Reply #79 on: January 20, 2018, 10:18:56 pm »
On second thought, not the one pictured above. Good photo, by the way, but too cold for me.
eberhard
Agostini 1000
R90S
R80/7