Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The mythical Electrical socket  (Read 1021 times)

Offline dustlover

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
The mythical Electrical socket
« on: November 21, 2017, 08:30:05 am »
Morning all,

I want to install a cigarette lighter socket on my GS 1200 LC. I have read that there is a factory-installed connection on the left hand side of the bike. Is this true? If so, can somebody tell me where it is please? I can't for the life of me find it.

Thanks.
Go for it - the world is your lobster.

Offline OomD

Re: The mythical Electrical socket
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 08:41:30 am »
Morning all,

I want to install a cigarette lighter socket on my GS 1200 LC. I have read that there is a factory-installed connection on the left hand side of the bike. Is this true? If so, can somebody tell me where it is please? I can't for the life of me find it.

Thanks.
It's on the right side of your instrument cluster.

Bear in mind that it has a current limit of about 5A, if you draw any more the computer shuts down power to the socket. Don't worry you won't blow a fuse (well, at least not the bike's  :lol8:) but it can sometimes be a pain if you want to run an compressor off it, for example. Most people (myself included) fit an additional socket just below the seat (left side) with a separate fuse, to overcome the bike's 5A limit.

Edit: The bike's own socket is a Hella socket, not a sigarette lighter type. Slightly smaller...
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 08:42:22 am by OomD »

The following users thanked this post: dustlover

Offline katana

• One day when I grow up, I want to be a
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
  • Sheer Smiling Pleasure
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 08:44:13 am »
The BMW socket is not a cigarette lighter socket - the name eludes me now.  Your best bet is buying a kit from Flying Brick or Wild at Heart.  I personally went the boating shop way, nicely water proof, and made my own wiring.

Edit:  Missed the LC part.   :thumleft:
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 08:51:39 am by katana »
"The only man that has to remember anything, is the man who tells a lie" Mark Twain

Offline Heimer

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Kan nie ALZ onthou nie
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 09:05:20 am »
Hella plug

I bought a twin lighter socket thingy from outdoor warehouse and keep it loose in my tank bag to charge phones etx. Just plug it into the hella when needed
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 09:07:34 am by Heimer »

Matriek getuigskrif 1979: ........... is 'n vriendelike seun met volop selfvertroue. Hy tree soms vreemd op. Die skool se beste wense vergesel hom.

Offline dustlover

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 11:44:19 am »
Thanks to all of you.
Yes, I know about the Hella plug and have a double adapter for USB for it. Thing is, though, I have a pump with a cigarette lighter plug and want to install a lighter socket for it. I read that there is a BMW installed socket or lead or perhaps only a cable which is on the left hand side of the bike. Perhaps that was me misunderstanding things and it's the Hella socket after all.
Thanks again to all.

Katana, which boating shop did you use?

Cheers.

Online Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • WAT KYK JY
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 12:05:50 pm »
Don't know how complicated the battery installation on your bike is. On mine it sits under the tank and its a pain to get to, to make terminal connections.

On my 1150 the starter  motor terminals are easily accessible and I used them for my direct lighter socket connection.
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

…, I wish I could own them all, and until I can afford to own them all at once, I will own them one at a time... 

Offline Heimer

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Kan nie ALZ onthou nie
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 12:32:42 pm »
Thanks to all of you.
Yes, I know about the Hella plug and have a double adapter for USB for it. Thing is, though, I have a pump with a cigarette lighter plug and want to install a lighter socket for it. I read that there is a BMW installed socket or lead or perhaps only a cable which is on the left hand side of the bike. Perhaps that was me misunderstanding things and it's the Hella socket after all.
Thanks again to all.

Cheers.

You might find that the Canbus on the BMW cuts the pump out. Happened on mine. First scheck that out before you invest in lot of fancy plugs & shit

I connected a socket for the pump directly off the battery using a flat 2 cable curt connector that is cabe tied to hang just from under the saddle on the left
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 12:36:46 pm by Heimer »

Matriek getuigskrif 1979: ........... is 'n vriendelike seun met volop selfvertroue. Hy tree soms vreemd op. Die skool se beste wense vergesel hom.

Online Gérrard

• Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • WAT KYK JY
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 12:37:19 pm »
Thanks to all of you.
Thanks again to all.

Cheers.

You might find that the Canbus on the BMW cuts the pump out. Happened on mine. First scheck that out before you invest in lot of fancy plugs & shit

I connected a socket for the pump directly off the battery using a flat 2 cable curt connector that is cabe tied to hang just from under the saddle on the left

The 1150 was mos a sophisticated bike... it had a charging point lead off the starter terminals, easily accessible to connect power points to. :lol8:

…, I wish I could own them all, and until I can afford to own them all at once, I will own them one at a time... 

Online Gérrard

• Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • WAT KYK JY
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 12:40:44 pm »
Easy to know if the power point runs through the flux capasitator. Is there power to the point when the ignition is off ? If yes, its a direct to battery connection, and if not, it runs through the loom and canbus.

Offline katana

• One day when I grow up, I want to be a
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
  • Sheer Smiling Pleasure
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 02:55:57 pm »
Thanks to all of you.
Thanks again to all.

Cheers.
There is a boat shop in Paarden Eiland rd, close to the Steers
"The only man that has to remember anything, is the man who tells a lie" Mark Twain

Offline dustlover

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2017, 03:52:41 pm »
Thanks to all of you.
Thanks again to all.

Cheers.

Heimer,
Don't want to be presumptious but is there any way you could please send me a photo of your connections?
Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 03:53:43 pm by dustlover »

Offline Heimer

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Kan nie ALZ onthou nie
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2017, 04:14:28 pm »
Thanks to all of you.
Thanks again to all.

Cheers.

Heimer,
Don't want to be presumptious but is there any way you could please send me a photo of your connections?
Thanks.

Sure I will take a pic this evening.

Offline Jughead

• Old rail tunnel, Cradock.
  • Forum Whore
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2017, 04:54:25 pm »
Morning all,

Thanks.

Dustlover, you actually need to post this thread under the correct section.  You have posted an LC related question under the AC section.

Two completely different bikes!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 04:54:58 pm by Jughead »
I came here to drink milk and kick arse!  And i've just finished my milk.
http://www.dsmc.co.za        http://www.triumphowners.com/to-car/mkiii/
Supplier of Ticket to the Moon Hammocks   http://www.ticketothemoon.com             

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2017, 08:20:56 pm »
Morning all,

Thanks.

Dustlover, you actually need to post this thread under the correct section.  You have posted an LC related question under the AC section.

Lucky it wasn't in the DC section. 8)
If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive, they'd eventually find me attractive.

Offline dustlover

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2017, 07:47:14 am »
Morning all,

Thanks.

Whoops.
Could the mods please move it? Although, in my defence, it is an Adv.Yes, forgot to mention that. Apologies.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 07:48:42 am by dustlover »

Offline Heimer

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Kan nie ALZ onthou nie
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2017, 07:53:55 am »
A plug of a battery is a plug
Does it matter?

Offline Jughead

• Old rail tunnel, Cradock.
  • Forum Whore
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2017, 08:09:51 am »
A plug of a battery is a plug
Does it matter?

Yes it does!  The original question was about "a factory installed connection on the left hand side of the bike".

The factory has installed different connections in different locations on the different bikes.

To prevent confusion and a whole lot of guessing, it's helpful to know exactly what bike you are referring to, that way he get accurate instead of half-arsed replies.
I came here to drink milk and kick arse!  And i've just finished my milk.
http://www.dsmc.co.za        http://www.triumphowners.com/to-car/mkiii/
Supplier of Ticket to the Moon Hammocks   http://www.ticketothemoon.com             

Offline Heimer

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Kan nie ALZ onthou nie
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2017, 09:50:10 am »
Oooh so who gave half arsed replies?  :snorting:

Offline LanceC

« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2017, 04:09:16 pm »
@ Dustlover
Hi
Dunno if you came right already but here is a pic of my setup.

Under the seat with a cheap cigarette lighter / USB combo (1/2). I added in an inline fuse (3) that take ordinary plastic fuses - which is connected to the battery (4).
I have the GPS thing plugged in.
I run the compressor off this no problem.

I'm glad I read about the limited 5v issue that the hella has - i'll stick to what I got - even if its a pain to remove seat for each pomp.
Cheers
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 04:10:32 pm by LanceC »

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2017, 07:30:00 pm »
@ Dustlover
Hi
Dunno if you came right already but here is a pic of my setup.

Under the seat with a cheap cigarette lighter / USB combo (1/2). I added in an inline fuse (3) that take ordinary plastic fuses - which is connected to the battery (4).
I have the GPS thing plugged in.
I run the compressor off this no problem.

I'm glad I read about the limited 5v issue that the hella has - i'll stick to what I got - even if its a pain to remove seat for each pomp.
Cheers

be careful with those USB convertors that are permanently connected to 12V, many consume quite a bit of power in standby