Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: oil leak from where?  (Read 378 times)

Offline Cracker

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
    • View Profile
oil leak from where?
« on: November 28, 2017, 01:41:52 pm »
So, after a long trip with the bike being pinned on open tar roads, I got home to an oil leak. Only a few drops on the ground and none when the bike is standing. But from where? I thought I'd have a look before I clean it all up.

https://imgur.com/jzWsNs7

It's not the gear lever seal or the sprocket seal. It might be the slave cylinder or oil from behind the slave? Or the alternator cover? Clutch works well although fluid is low but so is the engine oil .....  ::)

Very hard to see in the pic but the oil is all over the engine casing above the slave and on the alternator cover.

there seemd to be oil in/behind the slave cylinder assembly but I can't see from where - it's messy.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 01:42:33 pm by Cracker »
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline SNIPE

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Tommy Gun Don't Care
    • View Profile
Re: oil leak from where?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 05:04:06 pm »
I had a similar issue where the o-ring on the push rod started leaking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JustBendIt

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • cunning linguistic afficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 05:32:04 pm »
Looking at your pic my first guess would be the clutch slave cylinder is leaking

I highly recommend one of these to cure all ills http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=215982.0
The older I get the faster I was

Offline Grumpleton

• Ja, Nee so is life , and then there is my bike.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 06:13:06 pm »
had the same spill, check that its not coming from the check valve on the oil tank, at the screen, it runs down the pipes and sprays out under the stator cover, got a service kit with new seals from KTM R450.00 and that seemed to solve the oil sweating. its the little green seal on the bottom of the oil screen.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 06:14:20 pm by Grumpleton »
Sun, Wind and Sail and for those colder days, My Bike.
Live for today, because yesterday has gone and tomorrow may never come.

Offline Cracker

• Top Biscuit!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 07:31:37 am »
Can't find it yet but slave doesn't seem to be leaking yet and the oil tank valve and pipes are clean, etc.

So I'm suspecting the o-ring? on the push rod - where is that, Snipe? I see an oil seal, not an o-ring on the clutch push rod. And if it's that one how do I remove? By pulling the rod from the other side?

The area has now been cleaned of all oil completely and will be monitored - hoping it's not the slave - can't really afford a new one right now.

Offline Heddles

• Bike: AJS (all models)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 09:25:51 am »
Clean it properly and ride it.. then strip it again.

The clutch slave will show issues in its operation.

If there is oil in that area when you strip it again, determine whether it is engine oil or clutch fluid. If engine oil, then it is the pushrod seal.
You need to clean the engine properly before you will pinpoint it..
I see oil outside that area which would lead me elsewhere looking for that leak..

Mileage..? Year..? Model..?

Offline Heddles

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 09:33:43 am »
Can't find it yet but slave doesn't seem to be leaking yet and the oil tank valve and pipes are clean, etc.

So I'm suspecting the o-ring? on the push rod - where is that, Snipe? I see an oil seal, not an o-ring on the clutch push rod. And if it's that one how do I remove? By pulling the rod from the other side?

The area has now been cleaned of all oil completely and will be monitored - hoping it's not the slave - can't really afford a new one right now.

There is no o-ring on the clutch pushrod. There is a seal. To replace it, you need to strip the right hand side clutch cover off.. The clutch needs to have the release bearing removed and then the pushrod comes out from the right side.

There is an o-ring in the clutch slave cylinder though. I have had good success with replacing them. The key issue is actually not the cylinder and piston, but the plastic block that it mounts into. They distort and allow the piston to tilt, causing the piston to wear the cylinder..

Be warned if you are going to take this in yourself, that you need to follow proper instructions as per the workshop manual and tighten bolts and fasteners to the correct tightening torque values as per that manual. Failure to do this could result in costly damage...

Offline Cracker

• Top Biscuit!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 12:18:04 pm »
Clean it properly and ride it.. then strip it again.

The clutch slave will show issues in its operation.

If there is oil in that area when you strip it again, determine whether it is engine oil or clutch fluid. If engine oil, then it is the pushrod seal.
You need to clean the engine properly before you will pinpoint it..
I see oil outside that area which would lead me elsewhere looking for that leak..

Mileage..? Year..? Model..?

98000km, 2005/6, 950S

I suspected the oil was from elsewhere, it seemed too high to be the slave area. And the oil marks running vertically down the stator cover was puzzling. No oil got to the chain or sprocket to be flung around either. So, yep, it's had a good dose of brake cleaner and is sparkling again - testing to begin soon.

When I took the slave off there was clean oil around the mounting screws and inside, where the pushrod seal is. But the slave and rod itself were both dry of oil.

Gonna buy the seal anyway -so far in it's life I've replaced the gear lever seal, the sprocket seal and the seal inside the alternator cover - seems their time is up at this mileage.

Offline Heddles

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2017, 12:47:52 pm »
You will have to monitor it to see where it's coming from..

They do have a habit of leaking from the base gaskets. So proper clean and look properly..

It will leak close to the starter if the base gaskets are leaking.
They destroy the face of the casing and the cylinder and leak..

Engine out story.

And they will lead you on a search of note. Even one where the oil runs down into the slave area and have you thinking its that..

Offline bonova

• Get busy living or get busy dying
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2017, 04:01:05 pm »
What Heddles said.
To add my 2c.
I would say almost 100% its the clutch pushrod seal there BUT the oil in the top of the picture does scream base gasket.. As said - pushrod seal is a seal and not an O- ring. Its a bit of a bitch to get out but us a tap screw. U need to 1st remove the pushrod from the Right side of the motor. Make side you get it 100% flush on installing as there is a chamfer and makes it a bit of a bitch. Buy 2 in case - they cheap.
While you there replace the O- ring n the gear position sensor - it has a habit of leaking too....
Good luck bud!
BMW F650 DAKAR ; BMW 650 X-Challenge ; YAMAHA 660 TENERE ; BMW 800 GS KTM 200EXC. Now - KTM 950 Adventure S, KTM 250 XC-W and BMW 450 Rally

if u are interested in something no matter what it is, go at it full speed ahead, luke warm is no good, hot is no good either, white hot and passionate is the only thing to be...

Offline Cracker

• Top Biscuit!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2017, 04:26:58 pm »
I'm really, really, hating you 2 right now ......   :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

Offline Cracker

• Top Biscuit!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 11:01:34 am »
Well, it's been established that the leak's coming from the base gasket - you can guess how f----ing pleased I am about this  >:( >:( >:(

Anyways, I've ordered a gasket set and some other bits and pieces for when I get round to dropping the engine .......

Thought I might start a thread on this once I get started - I'll be doing it myself. Lemme know if yous are keen on following.

However, it ain't gonna happen until the new year, probably gonna do a Lesotho/KZN meander over the holiday period.

The following users thanked this post: Marbroza

Offline Marbroza

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 11:12:16 am »
That would be an interesting post.

lots of pics please
Im scared of dirt

Offline I&horse

• You look like a
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • was Andy 950
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 01:27:40 pm »
Don't know if this is the right thing to do, but could you try to torque the head first?
Silence is golden...... Duct tape is silver

Everything works with smoke, if the smoke escapes, it stops working.

Offline Grumpleton

• Ja, Nee so is life , and then there is my bike.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 01:42:59 pm »
Don't know if this is the right thing to do, but could you try to torque the head first?

Agree, there was re recall for some bikes for re-torque.,cant remember what year.
Sun, Wind and Sail and for those colder days, My Bike.
Live for today, because yesterday has gone and tomorrow may never come.

Offline spankme

• Bike: KTM 950 SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2017, 02:01:20 pm »
too late to torque

Offline Cracker

• Top Biscuit!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2017, 08:12:36 pm »
I doubt it, the issue relates to the gasket - check the HOW, there's info there.

Mine's the last of the 950s, should be perfectly torqued .......... should be  ::)

Offline lpj

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2017, 08:19:26 pm »
I doubt it, the issue relates to the gasket - check the HOW, there's info there.

Mine's the last of the 950s, should be perfectly torqued .......... should be  ::)
Apologies for hijacking your thread, bur what is the HOW?

I've been trying to figure out what my 950 (2004 model) needed to have done etc?

Hijack off

Offline Heddles

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2017, 08:54:52 pm »
The LC8, be it 950 or 990, had the same issue. When you strip the engine, the gasket appears to have moved, damaging the gasket faces on the casing and the cylinders. The majority of the damage seems to occur closest to the starter.

There are differing opinions about why this occurs, which if you research, you will encounter.
In short, it appears that the gasket moves and damages the sealing  surfaces. Torquing may have helped in the new stages of the engine's life but it doesn't when they get to higher mileage. The gasket has basically lost the sealing tension between the two surfaces and needs to be replaced. When removed, there is no or very damage to the gasket, more damage to the sealing surfaces of the engine block components.
The quick fix is to clean and fit a new gasket, using a good quality gasket sealer in very small quantities, to help seal the join.
The obviously more expensive and possibly more difficult one, is to reface the damaged surfaces.
Needless to say, I have not yet had a customer request the latter, hence I have not investigated who could and would take it on and what it would cost...

Either way, the engine has to come out and be stripped.

Offline Heddles

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2017, 09:07:06 pm »

Apologies for hijacking your thread, bur what is the HOW?

I've been trying to figure out what my 950 (2004 model) needed to have done etc?

Hijack off

Some of them never leak and some leak from low mileage.
It's a gamble. You cannot say that the money spent to prevent them from leaking is well spent, if they are not leaking..

But there are a few definite way so improve them which always will make an improvement..
Small things that make a difference.