Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: An Interesting & Seemingly Objective "Argument" - CRF1000 vs 1090 Adv  (Read 8409 times)

Offline XRRX

http://www.cyclenews.com/2017/08/article/ktm-1090-adventure-r-vs-honda-africa-twin-shootout/

Would like to see this "test" repeated with the 2018 models ...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 10:35:16 pm by XRRX »

Offline McSack

• Hairy-arsed throttle-slinging
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Would also like to see that test include a DCT
Really is something else off-road
~ Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere and sometimes, in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself ~

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
Re: An Interesting & Seemingly Objective "Argument" - CRF1000 vs 1090 Adv
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 07:12:12 am »
Ja this review been around for awhile - lotta kak there too - this parting shot takes the cake: "The KTM is what you ride in the Roof of Africa extreme enduro. The Honda is what you ride to the Roof of Africa to spectate, then around Africa, up into the Middle East, to Europe, and eventually on the boat back to the U.S—an adventure we can all do."

A real WTF you thinking bru! ?  :o
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 09:00:26 am »
Ok wait....You can't change riding modes on the 1090 on the fly?

Offline bud500

• Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 09:15:06 am »
Ja this review been around for awhile - lotta kak there too - this parting shot takes the cake: "The KTM is what you ride in the Roof of Africa extreme enduro. The Honda is what you ride to the Roof of Africa to spectate, then around Africa, up into the Middle East, to Europe, and eventually on the boat back to the U.S—an adventure we can all do."

A real WTF you thinking bru! ?  :o

Shocking journalism.
Live like someone left the gate open.

Offline Renrew

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • livethe1percentlife
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 09:42:39 am »
Two things:

1. The entire write-up describes the 1090 as being the better bike, but they conclude that the AT is their choice.

because:

2. It is a better traveller...

Why is it assumed that something that is capable of hardcore riding would not work as a traveller?

“...Honda pulled the rug from underneath KTM” LOL

Is this where you get all your inside info from XRRX :imaposer: :imaposer:

Kraftfahrzeuge Trunkenpolz Mattighofen
KTM 1190R
KTM 990R
KTM 950R Super Enduro_0km ;)
KTM 300 XC-W

Offline XRRX

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 01:54:09 pm »
Two things:

1. The entire write-up describes the 1090 as being the better bike, but they conclude that the AT is their choice.

because:

Why is it assumed that something that is capable of hardcore riding would not work as a traveller?

My dear boy Mr Renrew - you just can't pass an opportunity to get personal and insulting hey ...
... all because I've asked you once to stop using "God's" name to describe your feelings of excitement about KTM ... which you apparently have adhered to - THANK YOU!!!
In another post elsewhere you insinuated that I will run to the Mod's again - well - I can assure you I handle my shit myself - and I definelately have no "Mod-friends" - unlike you - getting away with "murder" on an open public forum!!

The reason for this thread was merely to share some interesting stuff (sorry - my bad - thought it was interesting) with other bikers, as I'm trying to do my homework as good as possible before my planned next purchase next year! And yes - the AT and 1090 Adv R is currently on my shortlist ...

BTW: I have been banned previously under another name from this forum - PERMANENTLY - for "sins" not even comparable to your personal charades !!!

Calm down Buks, sorry, I mean XRRX, let's not get too personal here
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 02:27:09 pm by JonW »

Offline sidetrack

• Keep it real, keep it a single
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2017, 02:18:32 pm »
XRRX and Renrew for team mates in the next Honda Quest  :3some:
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 02:20:29 pm by sidetrack »
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2017, 02:28:25 pm »
Two things:

because:

A bike designed for hardcore riding could work as a traveller, but not as well as something actually designed with long-distance travelling in mind. Quite obvious, I'd have thought.

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2017, 02:33:24 pm »
Thanks for posting XRRX, I enjoyed the article.

I think the last sentence about doing the Roof on a 1090 was meant to be taken with a pinch of salt, obviously just a reference to Quinn Cody and Chris Birch's exploits at Romaniacs.
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?

Offline Dux

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2017, 02:53:41 pm »
I haven't ridden the 1090 yet although I have read very good things about it , I did however ride the 1190 and while it handled well and was insanely fast I never gelled with it as easily as I did with the 990 . The AT was a different story though , within 5 minutes I felt as though I had been riding it for ages , very easy to get on with bike , very user friendly , and if I were looking for something in this class I would personally choose the AT , if I were looking at Roof of Africa type stuff then I would use a much smaller bike , most definitely not one of these , although I am certain both could do it if required .
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

The following users thanked this post: Aprilian

Offline Renrew

• Race Dog
  • livethe1percentlife
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2017, 02:57:11 pm »
Two things:

because:

My dear boy Mr Renrew - you just can't pass an opportunity to get personal and insulting hey ...
... all because I've asked you once to stop using "God's" name to describe your feelings of excitement about KTM ... which you apparently have adhered to - THANK YOU!!!
In another post elsewhere you insinuated that I will run to the Mod's again - well - I can assure you I handle my shit myself - and I definelately have no "Mod-friends" - unlike you - getting away with "murder" on an open public forum!!

The reason for this thread was merely to share some interesting stuff (sorry - my bad - thought it was interesting) with other bikers, as I'm trying to do my homework as good as possible before my planned next purchase next year! And yes - the AT and 1090 Adv R is currently on my shortlist ...

BTW: I have been banned previously under another name from this forum - PERMANENTLY - for "sins" not even comparable to your personal charades !!!

SO GO FUCK YOURSELF !!!

LOL :imaposer:  :imaposer:

KTM 1190R
KTM 990R
KTM 300 XC-W

Offline Renrew

• Race Dog
  • livethe1percentlife
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2017, 03:06:03 pm »
Two things:

because:

A bike designed for hardcore riding could work as a traveller, but not as well as something actually designed with long-distance travelling in mind. Quite obvious, I'd have thought.

So what was designed specifically for long distance travelling? Then it should be the tarmac traveller test, but they are both in the same segment and compete as such. What makes the 1090 LESS suited to travelling?

NOT saying it’s a kak bike at all, I digg it, but their conclusion doesn’t follow from the evidence presented.

Why choose a bike that is 4% better at tarmac touring, but unferperforms to a greater degree in the other aspects? It’s not like we are comparing a GS1200’s long distance comfort vs a 500XCW’s long distance comfort.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 03:10:08 pm by Renrew »
KTM 1190R
KTM 990R
KTM 300 XC-W

Offline Robin Brown

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2017, 03:29:40 pm »
At the end of the day
 "Its not the bike but what you do with the bike  that really counts"

Offline Dux

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2017, 05:03:55 pm »
At the end of the day

Exactly  :thumleft:
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline XRRX

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2017, 06:07:07 pm »
At the end of the day

Exactly  :thumleft:

+2

Two things:

because:

SO GO FUCK YOURSELF !!!

LOL :imaposer:  :imaposer:

Expected loser/poser answer/reaction ...  ::) ::) O0 :snorting:

But, what is interesting though is that JonW altered my last sentence around 2:33pm, and Mr Renrew (or whoever he/she is), was still able to quote my original post at 2:57pm -  :peepwall: :peepwall:

Why don't you "man-up/girl-up" Renrew and show us who you really are !! Do you really own any bikes/ have you ever ridden any bike???  :peepwall: :pot:

Offline Rossdog

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2017, 07:18:53 pm »
I'm waiting for Round 3...
'69 Model.

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2017, 08:19:19 pm »
Ja fokit ou's - step away from the handbags.  ::)
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline dirtyXT

hand bags at 10 paces! go.
Bike history:
Ital jet 50 - sold, DT 50 - scrapped - AR80 - sold DT185 - confiscated  KDX250 - sold ZZR400 - sold KX500 - XT660R Swapped for R1 YZF R1 - sold - XT660Z - sold

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2017, 10:06:39 pm »
Renrew, the "cooked-balls" syndrome that appears on the big late-model KTM's is already one huge put-off for any traveller. ;)

KTM can rightly lay claim to a lot of competition experience, but where do they find themselves in terms of touring bike experience?

The above is an important point, as Honda has a lot of experience over KTM when it comes to rider ergonomics, and this is the reason so many people state that they felt at home on the

1000At almost immediately.