Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: X challenge fuel tank petcocks. ( Touratech)  (Read 508 times)

Offline Mark D

X challenge fuel tank petcocks. ( Touratech)
« on: December 24, 2017, 08:14:34 pm »
Hi, has anyone needed to replace the fuel petcock rubbers and O rings or replace the whole petcock on their Touratech fuel tanks?
Mine are pretty corroded and weeping around the outside of the tap.

Offline Rouxman

• Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
    • View Profile
Re: X challenge fuel tank petcocks. ( Touratech)
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 10:05:41 pm »
Hi, has anyone needed to replace the fuel petcock rubbers and O rings or replace the whole petcock on their Touratech fuel tanks?
Mine are pretty corroded and weeping around the outside of the tap.
I need to replace mine. Had a look at Startline but none of theirs fit.

If you Google "Acerbis Petcock" you will find the correct ones on various sites but overseas. I've also seen them on Ebay UK.

These one's in my book will be an upgrade from the ones supplied with the tank. I was told these are also available from KTM...

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/OMG-Screw-Fuel-Tap-Rubinetto-Benzinhahn-Petcock-KTM-LC4-LC8-SX-EXC-Acerbis-Tank-/160929720548?_mwBanner=1

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Actions express priorities - Gandhi

Offline Mark D

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2017, 07:13:30 am »
Thanks Rouxman, those KTM ones look good. Also a more compact design. They look similar to the ones on the 1190. I will do some measuring.

Offline lone riderer

• travel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 12:29:34 am »
Yes i have just started having the same issue, both weep when shut off. Please let us know if you find a fix.
“One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.” – Henry Miller

Offline Mark D

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 08:27:09 am »
Will do. Can anyone confirm if the mounting bolt holes in the petcock are 34mm center to center.

Offline Rouxman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 11:17:50 am »
Will do. Can anyone confirm if the mounting bolt holes in the petcock are 34mm center to center.
Mark D, it seems to be near as dammit......

On my way to KTM Paarden Island. Will see if they have stock, confirm pricing and report back.

Offline Mark D

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 01:17:54 pm »
Thanks Rouxman. I am also trying to phone Durban KTM at the moment but their spares okes are busy at the moment. Said they will call back.
34mm looks like a common size for most petcocks I see on the web. One will just have to make sure the hole & 'O' ring is the same size.

Offline Rouxman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 03:38:09 pm »
Thanks Rouxman. I am also trying to phone Durban KTM at the moment but their spares okes are busy at the moment. Said they will call back.
34mm looks like a common size for most petcocks I see on the web. One will just have to make sure the hole & 'O' ring is the same size.
Mark D,

Ok so KTM Paarden Island ve stock and was kind enough to open the box and let me have a look.

I didn't buy them because I need to drain my tank to remove the exhisting Petcock for comparison. It was a last minute decision to go. We are going again end of the week so will then take it along for comparison of the "O" ring sizes.

The bolt holes are also 34mm centre to centre and they cost R289 each.

One thing to consider is that the outlet will either point down or up depending on how you install the petcock. They don't have an option for it to point backwards. Maybe a small elbow will resolve this.

I will keep this thread updated with my findings.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 03:41:06 pm by Rouxman »

Offline Mark D

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 06:17:09 pm »
Thanks Rouxman,

I also managed to get a price of R284 each which is basically the same. Unfortunately they apparently sold the last one in stock this morning.( They are also used on various plastic KTMs)

New ones only arrive in 2-3 weeks. That would be great if you can visually compare the two before buying. I have seen on various web sites that the KTM one has the same measurements ( hole size, O ring size etc) as the Acerbis petcock

which is fitted to the Touratech tanks. So hopefully these KTM ones will fit as they seem a lot cheaper than the Acerbis petcocks.

I think even with the fuel pipe coming out the bottom, should not be too much of a problem as the KTM petcocks are quite compact.

Offline Mark D

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 06:21:29 pm »
Also having a look at the Touratech tank installation manual and it states that you have to cut the plastic fuel filter off the Acerbis petcock before fitting to the tank.

Offline SteveD

• Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 01:29:02 am »
Yup, that is because the tank is quite narrow at the bottom and the little plastic fuel filter thing simply doesn't fit IIRC.
Watching with interest....