Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Kalahari Rally  (Read 8302 times)

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Re: Kalahari Rally
« Reply #160 on: October 17, 2018, 02:07:18 pm »
Its ok, found him.. on the live tracking it says he is #25 then when you scroll in it changes to #24 because the okes are pretty close to each other but if you use the filter it works great
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 02:08:07 pm by Fuzzy Muzzy »
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Buff

« Reply #161 on: October 17, 2018, 02:11:41 pm »
Does anyone have any news on Jonathan St Claire..

He seems to be doing his thing, strong and steady  :thumleft:
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #162 on: October 17, 2018, 02:30:24 pm »
yeah for sure, very cool oke and I enjoy watching him ride.. one day when i'm big ill have a rallye bike like his and give it horns down those fast roads. lol
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #163 on: October 17, 2018, 02:46:46 pm »
;D @ Brian still smiling after rolling the car.  :thumleft:

@Ryan: Yes Lyndon must have lost concentration and then moved the ico too far back or something. It is ridiculously easy to get confused once you are off track. Backtracking plus making a mental note of what to set the ico to while worrying about being hit by someone else coming the other way. Of course you dont know how far you have gone when you turn around and it is twice the distance off when you return to a known point....so making a left instead of a right is an easy thing to do because you're second guessing yourself all the way until you realize where you might be.

Looks like this rally is being well run. Exciting stuff!
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #164 on: October 17, 2018, 02:47:31 pm »
Are the cars leaving after the riders or first?

That could be another thing - maybe Lyndon was following tracks.
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #165 on: October 17, 2018, 02:51:27 pm »
;D @ Brian still smiling after rolling the car.  :thumleft:

@Ryan: Yes Lyndon must have lost concentration and then moved the ico too far back or something. It is ridiculously easy to get confused once you are off track. Backtracking plus making a mental note of what to set the ico to while worrying about being hit by someone else coming the other way. Of course you dont know how far you have gone when you turn around and it is twice the distance off when you return to a known point....so making a left instead of a right is an easy thing to do because you're second guessing yourself all the way until you realize where you might be.

Looks like this rally is being well run. Exciting stuff!

I followed some of the rallye riders doing the Tankwa X and all I could do is admire the guys.. riding when following someone is one thing, riding to a GPS is another but trying to ride and navigate with a roadbook is a skill all on its own, how these okes do it at speed is fantastic to watch, overshoot or loose focus and you have to be awake to get back on track .. I think it really helps if you have a great sense of general direction.. which I don't  :laughing4:

The following users thanked this post: BlueBull2007

Offline Ross Riddle

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
« Reply #166 on: October 17, 2018, 02:52:51 pm »
Spoke to him this morning and he was in good shape. Bike was good. The top runner have just left the fuel stop at in 255 and have another 70 to go in the special.
EVO 50X, Honda Racing replica Pocket bike, 2013 KTM 300 XC-W, 2016 Husky 450 FE Rally Conversion

Offline RyanI

« Reply #167 on: October 17, 2018, 03:56:02 pm »
This is going to the top 5 on my bucket list of things to do

Me too, scheming how I can make it happen
BMW850GS (2018)

Offline Weedkiller - Adie

« Reply #168 on: October 17, 2018, 04:31:35 pm »
Interesting end for the bikes.  Ross missed a CP and Lyndon got lost right at the dam.

Adie
Laat ons Stof maak.

« Reply #169 on: October 17, 2018, 04:43:32 pm »
It is a cruel world out there.  Snip from the regulations.

1. Lyndon with 'Cut and Run' for yesterday?

2. Ross for possible skipping  CP today.  GREAT the Skipped CP popped out.  ALL GOOD.

Adie
Laat ons Stof maak.

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #170 on: October 17, 2018, 04:56:53 pm »

I have an old crf450x I was thinking all I need is a pooratec tower and the suspension redone..  I'll never compete with the top okes but while I'm alive and can ride it has to happen

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

Offline AlexRG

« Reply #171 on: October 17, 2018, 06:06:44 pm »
Hey! You can start by buying my bike on the below link 😀 :

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=222727.0

I have an old crf450x I was thinking all I need is a pooratec tower and the suspension redone..  I'll never compete with the top okes but while I'm alive and can ride it has to happen

« Reply #172 on: October 17, 2018, 06:09:31 pm »

It depends on your HEART. not the one in your chest but willpower.  I was late 50's at my first Amageza.  Even that I had to withdraw (was the only rider in the team of 3 still competing) it was the most fun/effort/work/training/.... I had in my life.  If I was a few years younger I would do it again.  There are lots of cost effective ways to get the bike and kit done.  The entry for 2018 was +-R18 000. (R55/day if you start saving now. Stop smoking, drink less anything will/is possible.

Even if you do not finish the full event, riding in the bush, following a roadbook, get lost etc etc is worth more than one night in a brothel. It make the muscles tense. >:D

Adie.

P.S. We will have our cost effective rally instruments available again next year. (currently at least two at Kalahari that I know of) Will also have towers and fuel tanks etc to meet the 250km range.
Laat ons Stof maak.

Offline Offroad2

« Reply #173 on: October 17, 2018, 06:32:23 pm »

It depends on your HEART. not the one in your chest but willpower.  I was late 50's at my first Amageza.  Even that I had to withdraw (was the only rider in the team of 3 still competing) it was the most fun/effort/work/training/.... I had in my life.  If I was a few years younger I would do it again.  There are lots of cost effective ways to get the bike and kit done.  The entry for 2018 was +-R18 000. (R55/day if you start saving now. Stop smoking, drink less anything will/is possible.

Even if you do not finish the full event, riding in the bush, following a roadbook, get lost etc etc is worth more than one night in a brothel. It make the muscles tense. >:D

Adie.

P.S. We will have our cost effective rally instruments available again next year. (currently at least two at Kalahari that I know of) Will also have towers and fuel tanks etc to meet the 250km range.

Agreed Adie 100% - commit then execute !!! so guys all being well,  least you  will have two rallies 2019 ... K19 & Tankwa.
No Road like Off-Road

Offline Ace Venture

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
« Reply #174 on: October 17, 2018, 09:56:57 pm »
It is a cruel world out there.  Snip from the regulations.

1. Lyndon with 'Cut and Run' for yesterday?

2. Ross for possible skipping  CP today.  GREAT the Skipped CP popped out.  ALL GOOD.

Adie

This CP was a fuel point, Ross was there so a tracking issue.

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #175 on: October 18, 2018, 05:50:08 am »
Adie, youre a legend, bud. :thumleft:

Quoted for posterity:
riding in the bush, following a roadbook, get lost etc etc is worth more than one night in a brothel. It make the muscles tense.

:laughing4: TRUE

Offline Dwerg

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 900 Scrambler
    • Wise Web Worx
« Reply #176 on: October 18, 2018, 07:14:02 am »

It's life changing. Well it was for me anyway. The downer after a rally was unexpected. It's months of planning, bike prep, training, then the race and suddenly it's over and then... nothing. Adjusting back to reality was weird. One day I was on a special, having issues and struggling, a day later I was in a suit at a fancy wedding in Camps Bay feeling like I'd been transported into an alien world
Previous: KTM 690R, 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

The following users thanked this post: BlueBull2007

Offline gser

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Gelukkig nog nie hard GeSloeg nie
« Reply #177 on: October 18, 2018, 08:24:00 am »

It's life changing. Well it was for me anyway. The downer after a rally was unexpected. It's months of planning, bike prep, training, then the race and suddenly it's over and then... nothing. Adjusting back to reality was weird. One day I was on a special, having issues and struggling, a day later I was in a suit at a fancy wedding in Camps Bay feeling like I'd been transported into an alien world
Your wedding Dwerg ? Bhahahaha!
So, will we see you at the KR 019 ?

Offline Dwerg

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 900 Scrambler
    • Wise Web Worx
« Reply #178 on: October 18, 2018, 08:33:10 am »
Your wedding Dwerg ? Bhahahaha!
So, will we see you at the KR 019 ?

:lol8:

I'd love to be there if life allows it. We have been talking about it between the group of friends
Previous: KTM 690R, 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #179 on: October 18, 2018, 10:12:38 am »

I started my rallye build on my CRF450X on Tuesday.  I thought I could stop rallying, does not seem doable.  I don't really care about top okes...