Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Kalahari Rally  (Read 8238 times)

Offline Kortbroek

Re: Kalahari Rally
« Reply #80 on: October 15, 2018, 06:17:51 pm »
Anyone know what happened with Greg Raaf? He was riding so well but by the looks of it didn't finish?
- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

Offline Weedkiller - Adie

« Reply #81 on: October 15, 2018, 07:18:05 pm »
I saw him taking a shortcut at the dam.  Depending on the issue he might use one of his 'Duck and dive' (or what it is called and still complete the rally.

I think the final results might change due to penalties as a few missed waypoints.

Adie
Laat ons Stof maak.

« Reply #82 on: October 15, 2018, 07:23:48 pm »
Just noticed again that this is a WOMSA event and not MSA.  Wonder how that would affect the entrants.  Are MSa members allowed to enter WOMSA event?

Adie
Laat ons Stof maak.

Offline Buff

« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2018, 09:17:18 pm »
Sadly I heard from Martin Lourens this evening that Greg Raaff had a big off today as well and has injured his back & shoulder. He needed to go to hospital for treatment. Trusting he'll make a quick recovery  :-\

Martin finished the day in provisional 5th. He recons Lyndon is crazy fast and throws that 700 around like a 2stroke  :o
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline Buff

« Reply #84 on: October 15, 2018, 09:21:18 pm »
Prov Stage 1

1. Lyndon
2. Roger Kane-B
3. Johan v Wyk
4. Brian Bontekoning
5. Martin Lourens
6. Beau Levey
7. Ross Branch
8. Gary Pretorius

Offline Kortbroek

« Reply #85 on: October 15, 2018, 09:33:32 pm »
Sadly I heard from Martin Lourens this evening that Greg Raaff had a big off today as well and has injured his back & shoulder. He needed to go to hospital for treatment. Trusting he'll make a quick recovery  :-\

Martin finished the day in provisional 5th. He recons Lyndon is crazy fast and throws that 700 around like a 2stroke  :o

Damn and he was on the pace earlier. Speedy recovery I hope.

Yeah Lyndon is quick for sure, bloody impressive.
- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

Offline Kortbroek

« Reply #86 on: October 15, 2018, 09:35:15 pm »
Little summary, lots of mud, pleased to say Ross Branch is ok after his crash but a bit banged up. Tomorrow’s the long day, 800km+
From Lyndon Poskitt's fb page.
https://www.facebook.com/LyndonPoskitt/videos/303594443568506/?t=0

Over 1000 instructions on tomorrow’s roadbook which is 800km long, that’s an average of one instruction every 800 meters. It just took me 3.5hours to mark it all

800km roadbook is going to be a long day.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 09:36:06 pm by Kortbroek »

Offline windswept

« Reply #87 on: October 16, 2018, 12:33:56 am »
And for those not on facebook Lyndon has put some photos on advrider.

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #88 on: October 16, 2018, 05:02:44 am »

Could be a very interesting stage today if all the roadbook info is required for proper navigation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

The following users thanked this post: Rexc-w

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #89 on: October 16, 2018, 06:28:38 am »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

« Reply #90 on: October 16, 2018, 07:10:12 am »
Lyk of hulle dieselfde roete as gister ry vir die eerste SS ?

Adie
Laat ons Stof maak.

Offline Hondsekierie

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Away we go!!! Bikes: 690RFR, 950SE, 990Adv
« Reply #91 on: October 16, 2018, 07:23:11 am »
Brian Bontekoning (#15) is racing with a broken hand (broke it in Lesotho previous weekend) - talking about old school tuff  ;)

Real pity about Giraffe (Greg Raaf for those who don't know) and just glad Ross was able to continue.  Wish one could tell Ross that he doesn't need to win this one and that he must rather focus on the roadbook (that means also not riding next to Lyndon) and his own navigation.

Interesting to note how many racers have been slapped with penalties, especially for speeding. 

I think this is going to be made more tuff by the busy roadbook and according to Garth he expects the front runners only to come in between 19h00 - 20h00 on Thursday - not for the fainthearted
“There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
There is society, where none intrudes,
By the deep Sea, and music in its roar:
I love not Man the less, but Nature more"

Offline Battlestar

• IF IM NOT HERE IM ON MY BIKE
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250L
  • "LUX NOBIS DUX"
« Reply #92 on: October 16, 2018, 07:47:39 am »
Roger Kane Burman 2nd and only 5 min behind Posket? Thats impressive and good going
Pass this way once!

Offline Kortbroek

« Reply #93 on: October 16, 2018, 08:01:38 am »
Lyk of hulle dieselfde roete as gister ry vir die eerste SS ?

Adie

Lyk vir my na dieselfde area maar roete is bietjie anders. Neem aan hulle het cp's geskuif etc so ouens sal maar moet roadbook volg.

Offline Kortbroek

« Reply #94 on: October 16, 2018, 09:24:26 am »
I see on SS1 today Ross Branch was faster than Lyndon by 32sec. And looking at their times they are right up there among the cars along with Roger Kane-Berman.

They must have been flying  :ricky:

Offline Buff

« Reply #95 on: October 16, 2018, 10:49:50 am »
How's the route on that web site work? Blue is obviously liaison but what's red, just the general direction of the route?

Offline Kortbroek

« Reply #96 on: October 16, 2018, 11:07:47 am »
The red route is the SS route and I suspect is just a series of straight lines between certain roadbook points, maybe prominent changes in direction? I guess this is to give spectators an idea of the route without giving away too much detail.

Offline Buff

« Reply #97 on: October 16, 2018, 11:13:01 am »
Thanks Kortbroek, I figured it that way as well  :thumleft: Rather exciting watching that page, one of the best tracking sites I've seen, just makes me wish I was there  :)

Offline Kortbroek

« Reply #98 on: October 16, 2018, 11:18:54 am »
Thanks Kortbroek, I figured it that way as well  :thumleft: Rather exciting watching that page, one of the best tracking sites I've seen, just makes me wish I was there  :)

Join the club haha. High time my ship comes in I think  :deal:

I guess they won't be able to do this with larger rallies like dakar to prevent teams using it to give riders live updates etc. Or maybe that is not really an issue? I love this tracking site as well, gives you a great idea of what's going on.

Offline Buff

« Reply #99 on: October 16, 2018, 11:23:24 am »
Roger Kane-B is doing some low flying chasing Lyndon  :o