BMC air filter for Dakar

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fario

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure
Ok, so off I went to BMW V&A this afternoon and forked out approx R 800 for a BMC air filter element for my Dakar (washable, reusable, higher performance blah blah). About an hour ago I wandered into the garage to fit my new "upgrade" to compliment the Scorch pipe I fitted last weekend. My thoughts were nicely ensconced in visions of better breathing and hence more horsepower. The world was a good place. Off came the side cover, a couple more torx loosened and the old element was out. Good stuff! Nice to be such a competent home mechanic. World was even better than before! Ouit of the box came the BMC (I had oiled it ealier with PJ element spray) and with a little bit of bother, I inserted it into the airbox. Then the nightmare started! The flange of the element has to compress to allow the snorkel to "slide in" and the clamp to "slide over" before it is tightened up. No f****ing way Jose!. the BMC flange is the same thickness as the OEM but is much harder and there was no way I could get it compressed enough to get everything fitted. after an hour of sukkeling I put the old one back. Easy peasy.

Now what? I checked the part no on the internet (363/10) and it appears correct. How do I fit this little F***er? Heat the flange gently to soften, spray some filter oil on the sliding bits and try again?

Have any of you fitted one of these? Please enlighten me. My world is not so good right now. :dousing: :dousing: