Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Capie and Vaalie taken for a ride by dodgy Russian  (Read 22516 times)

Offline Osadabwa

• Bike: Honda XR650R
  • Don't be surprised
Khumbaya, you wankers, khumbaya!
« Reply #140 on: April 13, 2018, 04:00:38 pm »
Dear Xpat, thank you for your kind words. The interwebs are so full of grumpy bastards taking offence at everything, I thought I would opt for a kinder, gentler approach for once. I wanted to break the cycle, you see.

Ah fukit. Back to the usual then: How the bloody hell did you ride so long, Xpat, and never learn how to patch a freaking tube properly? Fafaksake! Invite to Kenya revoked! We have enough wankers up here already who can't tell a tyre lever from a left handed crescent wrench  :lol8:

And make haste with the next writeup already! You write slower than you ride!

:snorting:
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 04:01:39 pm by Osadabwa »

Offline armpump

Re: Capie and Vaalie taken for a ride by dodgy Russian
« Reply #141 on: April 13, 2018, 04:09:47 pm »
lol fat pig

ps See if bite/pinch aligns with rim lock perhaps.

Online JustBendIt

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • cunning linguistic afficionado
« Reply #142 on: April 13, 2018, 04:18:10 pm »
lol fat pig

ps See if bite/pinch aligns with rim lock perhaps.

It cannot be from the rim lock because the inner tube sits inside the red liner and the rim lock is on the outside of the red liner

I am sure that triangular pinch is from a tool ...like a tyre lever  ... I think the inner tube got "hurt" when it was first fitted and just took a while to wear through and leak - by this stage of the trip Xpat had done maximum 1000 km on the new Tubliss system
The older I get the faster I was

Offline Ruan 87

« Reply #143 on: April 13, 2018, 04:25:33 pm »
Two things that are evident In your RR:

1) Stick to basics ( tubes )
2) There is going to be a few more Nam RR's in the near future.

Great stuff :thumleft:

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #144 on: April 13, 2018, 04:29:47 pm »
Basics 1) may well be rally mousses like the Nitro ...  ::)
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701 Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Online JustBendIt

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • cunning linguistic afficionado
« Reply #145 on: April 13, 2018, 05:54:19 pm »

Rally mousses inside rally tyres are the way to go

I was speaking with donovanwho (our malle moto Dakar 2018 boykie) a few days ago - he has mousses that he has done 10 000 km on and almost all of that flat out as fast as he could go ...he reckons the high speed Michelin rally BIB mousse in a rally tyre (like Michelin Desert Race) is the way to go - his mousse failures have only come with soft enduro tyres at sustained high speeds 
The older I get the faster I was

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #146 on: April 13, 2018, 05:58:50 pm »

Rally mousses inside rally tyres are the way to go

I was speaking with donovanwho (our malle moto Dakar 2018 boykie) a few days ago - he has mousses that he has done 10 000 km on and almost all of that flat out as fast as he could go ...he reckons the high speed Michelin rally BIB mousse in a rally tyre (like Michelin Desert Race) is the way to go - his mousse failures have only come with soft enduro tyres at sustained high speeds

Great info from the (race) horses mouth. The big trick with mouses is to service (clean and lube) them regularly that reduces friction and therefore heat (the mousse killer). Also seal the valve holes(s) with silicone to reduce water and mud ingress. Run two rim locks on rear if possible.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701 Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

Offline armpump

« Reply #147 on: April 13, 2018, 07:11:01 pm »
But no pressure control....if you want

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #148 on: April 13, 2018, 07:12:52 pm »

True but there are variable pressure versions coming. Seen the Tyre Ball system?   :3some:
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 07:16:05 pm by BiG DoM »

Offline SchalkL

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #149 on: April 13, 2018, 07:37:24 pm »
Guys show some respect for Xpat's thread and take the other topics elsewhere as requested please  :xxbah:
Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #150 on: April 13, 2018, 09:05:18 pm »
Guys show some respect for Xpat's thread and take the other topics elsewhere as requested please  :xxbah:

:o

Offline KTMvan

« Reply #151 on: April 13, 2018, 09:07:17 pm »
Dear Xpat, thank you for your kind words. The interwebs are so full of grumpy bastards taking offence at everything, I thought I would opt for a kinder, gentler approach for once. I wanted to break the cycle, you see.

Ah fukit. Back to the usual then: How the bloody hell did you ride so long, Xpat, and never learn how to patch a freaking tube properly? Fafaksake! Invite to Kenya revoked! We have enough wankers up here already who can't tell a tyre lever from a left handed crescent wrench  8:

And make haste with the next writeup already! You write slower than you ride!

:snorting:
Left handed crescent wrench..... oh dear..... no clue

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

2004 KTM 640 adventure - alive and well

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #152 on: April 13, 2018, 09:25:25 pm »
On one of our trips Xpat and myself got involved in some deep discussions, I quoted a old biker's saying: "you ride alone, you die alone" to which he answered you die alone anyway. If you are on your deathbed and there is a room full of people, not one of those fuckers are going to volunteer to die with you! That is why we get along so well, it is hard to argue with logic. He always thinks through all the bullshit and transforms it into pure logic!
When we were struggling through Robbies pass (that is not true, it was a highlight of the trip for me) and we were exhausted, Justin and I was entertaining the idea of camping down in the pass, which is nothing more than a rocky riverbed (with some nice sandy patches just big enough for pitching a tent). When we ran this past Xpat he said we best attempt a really steep rocky road out of the pass onto higher ground as the possibility of a flash flood was too high, the sky was rather dark and gloomy, threatening rain at any minute. I voted for the higher ground camping, so that was 2 against 1 and we rode up the steep hill, which actually was not that bad after all.
If we camped in the riverbed I would have missed one of the coolest things I ever saw, an ant route march! An entire ant colony came rushing out of the bushes where we were going to camp, in front were the strong able bodied ants all carrying food or eggs, they probably made up a third of the colony, then followed what I assume was the wimmen, loudly chatting away (I imagine!) followed by the children and at the very back the sick and cripples. there were quite a few corporals running up and down either side of the column making sure everyone was keeping to their order and I even saw some of them helping and carrying some of the cripples! Justin and myself were watching this passing parade and as they came, they disappeared into the bushes on the other side of the "road". Most fascinating.
18 till I die.
If hard work pays, show me rich donkey.

The following users thanked this post: andrew5336, Goingnowherekwickly, wilfwalk

Offline KTMvan

« Reply #153 on: April 13, 2018, 09:36:56 pm »
On one of our trips Xpat and myself got involved in some deep discussions, I quoted a old biker's saying: "you ride alone, you die alone" to which he answered you die alone anyway. If you are on your deathbed and there is a room full of people, not one of those fuckers are going to volunteer to die with you! That is why we get along so well, it is hard to argue with logic. He always thinks through all the bullshit and transforms it into pure logic!
When we were struggling through Robbies pass (that is not true, it was a highlight of the trip for me) and we were exhausted, Justin and I was entertaining the idea of camping down in the pass, which is nothing more than a rocky riverbed (with some nice sandy patches just big enough for pitching a tent). When we ran this past Xpat he said we best attempt a really steep rocky road out of the pass onto higher ground as the possibility of a flash flood was too high, the sky was rather dark and gloomy, threatening rain at any minute. I voted for the higher ground camping, so that was 2 against 1 and we rode up the steep hill, which actually was not that bad after all.
If we camped in the riverbed I would have missed one of the coolest things I ever saw, an ant route march! An entire ant colony came rushing out of the bushes where we were going to camp, in front were the strong able bodied ants all carrying food or eggs, they probably made up a third of the colony, then followed what I assume was the wimmen, loudly chatting away (I imagine!) followed by the children and at the very back the sick and cripples. there were quite a few corporals running up and down either side of the column making sure everyone was keeping to their order and I even saw some of them helping and carrying some of the cripples! Justin and myself were watching this passing parade and as they came, they disappeared into the bushes on the other side of the "road". Most fascinating.
You die alone indeed

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline KTMvan

« Reply #155 on: April 13, 2018, 10:13:55 pm »
This tree.

Day 5

Ri my sister just bought a col looking DR 650. Hope she will be as happy with her's as you are. Previously she had an Aprillia 650 which had lots of issues....

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #156 on: April 13, 2018, 10:49:21 pm »
Ri my sister just bought a col looking DR 650. Hope she will be as happy with her's as you are. Previously she had an Aprillia 650 which had lots of issues....

If she isn't - I'll take it :biggrin: But I'm sure she will be. Slender, light and reliable, and better looking than KLR - what's not to love :ricky:

/hijack off
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #157 on: April 14, 2018, 10:40:44 am »

True but there are variable pressure versions coming. Seen the Tyre Ball system?   :3some:

My mousses were soft, probably about 0,5bar when compared with pumped tyres, What more do you want? I am sold on mousses, I am the only one on the trip that had zero puncture/tyre issues in over 2000 hostile terrain kilometers. Yes I kept my dirt road liaison speed to 100, but at no stage did they get hot, so I was probably just nannying them unnecessarily. How I wanted to chase down Justin on several occasions but instead just cruised along, suppressing the speed demon that lurks inside! Your mousses will thank you!
18 till I die.
If hard work pays, show me rich donkey.

Offline armpump

« Reply #158 on: April 14, 2018, 11:06:21 am »
Would be nice to go 1.2 on hard pack carrying that weight to prevent some tire roll.

But lets rather see more trip report :)

Offline aka.Goliath

Capie and Vaalie taken for a ride by dodgy Russian
« Reply #159 on: April 14, 2018, 01:46:25 pm »

But lets rather see more trip report

+1
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 01:46:48 pm by aka.Goliath »
BMW 1150 GSA - 2004
KTM 690R - 2014
KTM 300 X-CW - 2012
KTM 530 EXC Rally - 2011 SOLD, KTM 690R - 2009 SOLD, BMW 1200GS 2009 SOLD