Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in New Zealand - The move has been made...  (Read 48889 times)

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
Re: Life in New Zealand - The move has been made...
« Reply #640 on: April 26, 2019, 02:25:58 am »
Dis verskriklik mooi daar Christiaan  :thumleft:

En is dit nie lekker om so in jou camper te slaap en nie so stres dat iemand jou in die nag gaan kom keelafsny vir jou selfoon nie  :biggrin:  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #641 on: April 26, 2019, 05:53:25 am »
Aaah that's really cool - thanks for posting  :thumleft:
Eat life!

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #642 on: April 26, 2019, 07:28:16 am »
Daai yskas het te veel kos in. :laughing4:

Man dit lyk fantasties daar.  As jy deur Twizel ry moet jy my pel Gren Poval gaan hallo se. Hy is seker nou al 20 jaar daar.  :thumleft:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #643 on: April 26, 2019, 07:30:10 am »
Dis nou op die Suid Eiland  :thumleft:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Christian Kuun

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Wynkop Kuun- Onder die Wyntenk in Stellies
    • My Web Album
« Reply #644 on: April 27, 2019, 08:09:48 am »
Dalk volgende week verby Twizel.

It is a beautiful country and I am loving the tour. Takes me back to my youthful days. Really enjoying the "thinking time". Without going soft, it has been great for some introspection and will still bring great thoughts- mostly "I need a farking bike here"
Mampoer could solve all Africa's problems....

https://picasaweb.google.com/home

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #645 on: April 27, 2019, 09:49:38 am »
I only had the opportunity to drive part of North Island,
but it made me realise that NZ is a wonderful bike riding country.  :ricky:

Just do your riding at a leisurely pace...   8)
and have rain gear along.  ::)
LIFE'S MUCH COOLER WITHOUT UNDERWEAR,
Life-long supporter of the "Free the Nipple" movement
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I'm far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline Christian Kuun

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Wynkop Kuun- Onder die Wyntenk in Stellies
    • My Web Album
« Reply #646 on: April 27, 2019, 10:20:52 am »
Everything at a leisurlely pace…  The twisties are mal.
Mampoer could solve all Africa's problems....

https://picasaweb.google.com/home

Offline Brucet

• Bike: BMW (all models)
« Reply #647 on: May 03, 2019, 08:37:55 am »

To add to some of Rommels comments

- Kids under the age of 24/25, if still dependant on you can come over with you but if they want to work will need a work visa, or student visa if they want to study. - check INZ website for exact details
- :peepwall: we bringing one and its shit expensive  :peepwall:
- If you have owned your bike for more then 12months and commit to not sell it in 24months when landing no GST or duties are due. Look at loading it in your main container then you dont have to pay double shipping etc.
- Job = visa, without one it wont be easy.

On the Passport, residency is based on a points system, and the origin of the passport doesn't give you extra points.

Hi Silvrav. A month later and I am in a slight panic as it seems I have a successful job application in Hamilton. I have done no ground work in the way of getting visa's etc

What is a realistic time frame to meet all the visa and permit requirements? (we do have valid passports etc)

WRT my bike, ive only owned it for about two months. Do you think I have a chance of being allowed to take it with?

PS. R28k to ship my bike to Auckland - just waiting to find out if I have to pay tax's on it as Ive owned it less than a year..

thank you
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 04:10:25 pm by Brucet »
BMW 1250 GS Adv HP

Offline silvrav

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #648 on: May 05, 2019, 10:02:25 pm »

To add to some of Rommels comments

- Kids under the age of 24/25, if still dependant on you can come over with you but if they want to work will need a work visa, or student visa if they want to study. - check INZ website for exact details
- :peepwall: we bringing one and its shit expensive  :peepwall:
- If you have owned your bike for more then 12months and commit to not sell it in 24months when landing no GST or duties are due. Look at loading it in your main container then you dont have to pay double shipping etc.
- Job = visa, without one it wont be easy.

On the Passport, residency is based on a points system, and the origin of the passport doesn't give you extra points.

Hi Silvrav. A month later and I am in a slight panic as it seems I have a successful job application in Hamilton. I have done no ground work in the way of getting visa's etc

What is a realistic time frame to meet all the visa and permit requirements? (we do have valid passports etc)

WRT my bike, ive only owned it for about two months. Do you think I have a chance of being allowed to take it with?

PS. R28k to ship my bike to Auckland - just waiting to find out if I have to pay tax's on it as Ive owned it less than a year..

thank you

:thumleft: Another WD coming to NZ - We can organise our own bash soon  :peepwall:

Currently visas take anything from 4weeks to 4months - https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas/waiting-for-a-visa/how-long-it-takes-to-process-your-visa-application

BUT if an employer is willing to employ you, they generally don't mind the wait, just keep chatting to them and keep them informed. Remember you only need medicals and police clearance for a work visa (and obviously passport) so focus on getting these done. Birth, marriage certificates etc is for residency and can be done while you wait for your visa (if you don't have them already).

Is your employer an accredited employer? if not they have some additional paperwork to complete as well, but all this will be on your visa application. (do it online if you doing it yourself, its much easier then paper-based)

RE your bike, this is best to contact customs and see what they say. Send me your contact details and I will ask one of the guys in the SA FB group to get hold of you (he works as a senior official at customs) and generally answers questions like this.

You welcome to PM for questions.

The following users thanked this post: Brucet

Offline silvrav

« Reply #649 on: May 05, 2019, 10:07:45 pm »
We are back! It was a nice break and good to see friends again! Before we left we had to do an easter hunt egg first, and naturally with that came lots of chocolate, lots of bouncing off the walls and lots of....  :puke_r: more on that later.

It was also a rainy Easter weekend so we decided its the perfect opportunity to introduce our son to fort building!

I am busy uploading the photos and writing a short RR as the photos will do most of the talking  :thumleft:

Easter egg hunt, our fort, and one happy pug finally back home

« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 10:21:26 pm by silvrav »

Offline silvrav

« Reply #650 on: May 06, 2019, 01:09:40 am »
After easter hunt, fort building and packing the previous night, we were up at 0500, had some coffee and packed the car. The idea was to get away at 0530 but as everyone with kids knows, the planned time is just that, a plan.  :lol8: We eventually got away at 6ish. The idea was to go north via the SH1 but the wife and I decided a more scenic route for a first road trip is in order. We headed north via the SH1 for about 50kms before turning off the beaten track and onto the SH4.

The route:
It is roughly 650km.

WOW!  :biggrin: What a route! winding roads, massive hills, massive cliffs, massive drops, beautiful terrain, and countryside! unfortunately, not a lot of places to stop for photos but man, the SH4 route on a bike would be spectacular! It carried on like this for at least 200-250km and after 6hours it didn't get old.   ;D

The problem is not the speed limits, but the road is generally so narrow and winding that you just can not even do the legal speed limit of 100 km/h. Most corners have speed indicators of their own and most did not go past 35km/h

Corner limit indicator

During the 6 hours we stopped twice, about halfway in there was one opportunity with a rest stop to stretch some legs and take some photos...

and just as we were exiting the southern part of the north island the chocolate Easter bunny had its revenge and my son proceeded to vomit it up, along with the breakfast he had :puke_l:  :puke_r: ! My wives first words - Now its a family road trip! Can't have a family road trip without a child getting sick!

As the road was still narrow I had no option to pull over, and with every few minutes, somehow my son's stomach found more content to violently eject! and mommy getting more agitated as she can't help. Eventually, I had no choice and as I found a straight'ish piece of road I pull off onto the opposite side of the road where the shoulder is wide enough to park safely. We proceed to get the wet wipes out and spend about a good 45mins cleaning our son, the car seat, his clothes, get new clothes for him and get some liquid back into him.

As I strap him in, he looks at me and says, "sorry for getting icky daddy". Man! it makes your heart melt when your kids say stuff like that  :) 10mins in and he is happy as a chappy and just wants to eat.

Halfway point is Lake Taupo, or is at least via SH1 and with the lake comes snowy mountains to the west of it. As we were heading far west of it we only got a small glimpse of the top.

Past this point, the roads opened up and became easier to drive. It was now about 14h00 and we decided to stop for lunch. We made some sammies the previous night and had some juice and coffee with us as well.

You get table stops here as well, and they quite nice, well thought out and kept clean. Our stop was interrupted by nature though, as we would later find out that the area is well known for honey production. We had bee's trying to eat with us and some seriously annoying ladybugs! Afterward, we found out ladybugs are actually a pest here in NZ and can cause an issue with pets that try and eat the bugs! - recent news article : https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/112272040/the-vets-thought-it-was-a-joke-ladybirds-infesting-dogs-mouth with a photo from the article:

Photos from the lunch stop:

We finished lunch at about 15h00 and still had roughly 200km to go. Luckily the rest of the road as mentioned was open, straight and you could keep the speed limit of 100.

We arrived at our accommodation just before 6, which was a homestay for 2nights. Homestay isn't my first choice, but my wife has never experienced it and she wanted to try something new. There was a nice Indian family and Japanese family staying in the 8 bedroom house and it is always fun to see how other cultures live.

We didn't do much for supper as I was kaput after 12hours of driving and had some toasted sammies before we all passed out just after 8.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 01:14:04 am by silvrav »

Offline silvrav

« Reply #651 on: May 06, 2019, 02:13:44 am »
It was now Thursday morning, and we were scheduled to go stay with one of our friends from Friday night, so we had 2 days to see a bit of Auckland as the weekend would be spent braai'ing, making biltong and catching up.

We decided that we will go into the CBD for the day and go walk queen street and go visit the harbor. It was a public holiday so at least work traffic would be less. Parking here is expensive! I booked a parking spot online as its 15% cheaper if you pre-book and the 6hours would cost $45  ??? Getting a hop card and loading airtime for the 3 of us would have cost the same, and then we would have hop cards we won't really use again, so we decided to rather drive.

As we approached the parking garage I spotted dedicated bike access - No need to pay or try and balance while taking a ticket, as we all know what can happen!  :imaposer:
Bikes in general park for free, be it in the street on in parking garages

The harbor was impressive, and we were told before that Auckland is home to superyachts... after googling superyachts I don't believe we saw one but some are close! Some serious money floating around here.
I am sure @Mr Zog wouldn't mind going for a fishing trip on one  :3some:

The Racing team, Explore, was also in town as they busy preparing for the next big race:

Some photos of the harbor, its boats (retro, old, new), the draw bridge for when you want to leave the harbor, and some aerial displays as it was ANZAC day (more on that later)

On our way to queen street a convoy (I would guess 100+) of bikes passed us as a ride along for ANZAC day, and there was your everyday rider, to hells angels to metro riding along.
The way Auckland CBD is built, it is very confined and the bikes were loud, very loud, to the point that I held my sons' ears closed. You could still hear the bikes 10mins later roaring on the other side of the CBD.

Queen Street is a very touristy street in Auckland as it contains many boutique shops, along with the major brands of the world, like Oakley, Rolex, Armani, etc. and have some decent coffee shops as well.

Funny enough the wife, whose idea it was, did not find it interesting enough and we decided after 20mins to head to Albert Park. Albert Park has been labeled as one of New Zealand's best parks, and although small in comparison to New york's central park, has been compared to it as its located within the city center.

We saw people walk their dogs, having a nap, having picknick, going for a run, reading and just relaxing.

It was nearing 15h00 and frankly we were pretty tired by now. My high school friend who also stays in Auckland phone me up earlier and said we must come for a braai, so we had to head back in any case to get some food, drinks and get ready for the night.

As we got back to the carpark, we were pleasantly surprised when the ticket cost was only $6, as it was a public holiday parking was capped at $6 max!  :thumleft: bonus!

The night was spent with good food, good company and we fortunate enough that my son can sleep anywhere as we only left at about 00h30  :peepwall:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #652 on: May 06, 2019, 02:42:23 am »
I'm up for fishing, anywhere, anytime  :biggrin:

I really liked those parks, clean, tidy, safe  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline silvrav

« Reply #653 on: May 06, 2019, 02:46:03 am »
Its Friday morning, late Friday morning and we need to be out by 10h00. We managed to drag ourselves out of bed by 09h00, pack our bags and the car in record time, and still had breakfast before we left the homestay at 10h00 (ish) :imaposer:

On today's agenda was a visit to Denvonport - a nice little suburb on the northshore of Auckland and where my buddy took me for a coffee and walk about when I first came to visit in July of last year. So I knew the family would enjoy it. We decided we will have a picnic for brunch and had a quick stop at countdown, where we bought a picnic blanket, some picnicy stuff, some ice for the cooler box and drinks.

Once we found parking and grab all our picnic stuff the very first sign I spotted was of great importance!

:imaposer: Humour plates like these are apparently a thing in NZ!

We sat right in front of the ocean, just before the beach where we could keep an eye on our son but not have to sit on beach sand!

Once we finished our picnic we walked around a bit and found a field of remembrance that is erected here for a short period over Easter for ANZAC day. What is ANZAC day:

Anzac Day is a national day of remembrance in Australia and New Zealand that broadly commemorates all Australians and New Zealanders "who served and died in all wars, conflicts, and peacekeeping operations" and "the contribution and suffering of all those who have served"

The date itself marks the anniversary of the landing of New Zealand and Australian soldiers – the Anzacs – on the Gallipoli Peninsula in 1915. The aim was to capture the Dardanelles, the gateway to the Bosphorus and the Black Sea. At the end of the campaign, Gallipoli was still held by its Turkish defenders.

It is big, and everyone shows great respect for war veterans, and not just during this time but year round.

By now, it was only 12h00 so I decided to take my family to the North Head reserve.

Strategically located on a headland at the entrance to Aucklandís harbour, North Head, or Maunguika, commands sweeping views over the Hauraki Gulf and its islands. It has a long history, first of Maori occupation, and then as a coastal fortification. It is considered the most significant coastal defence site in New Zealand because of the size and variety of its defence installations, which span nearly 120 years and include elements from all periods of New Zealandís coast defence history.

The North head also protected the ports during the Russian scares of the late 1800's and overlook Torpedo bay, named after the mines and torpedo's that was used/placed as it is the entrance to Waitemata Harbour, which at the time was the main naval base.

Below I marked on the map where the entrance was (with a red line) and North head was the red dot. The south and North battery installations could cover 170-180deg field of view and thus could protect the harbor quite well. The island is a maze of underground caves, secret passage, tunnels etc.

We had a blast and stayed much longer then we planned. Some photos from our visit:

« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 02:51:28 am by silvrav »

Offline silvrav

« Reply #654 on: May 06, 2019, 03:15:36 am »
The weekend, well the weekend was spent mostly kuiering, braaing and catching up. My wife took most of the photos over the weekend so once I grab them I'll post some here.

Our son, now 3, played very well with their daughter of 5 and gave us all a well-deserved adult break, where one can have some adult conversation while the kids are playing  :lol8: It seems that the wife and I will have to work on a brother or sister for him  :3some: :peepwall:

Monday came pretty quickly and could only fetch our pug at 13h00. So the plan was to pick up the dog and drive half way, stay over at Turangi (which is next to lake Taupo) and drive the rest on Tuesday.

The route: (roughly 300km)

Filling up just before fetching Lilly - note the security system  :deal:

We fetched Lilly, with the wife being overjoyed! and proceeded to hit the road....what can I say, the SH1 is pretty Boring  ::) compared to the scenic route there is not much to see.  One interesting thing that we did spot was that you drive through the defense force training ground. For about 20km of the journey, there were constant signage asking you not to stop and if you do to remain in your vehicle for your safety until someone arrives.

Also, you will notice from the photos below, the non-passing solid lines here are yellow  :thumleft: The wife and I debated it a bit and I for one believe it to be better, as with the contrast to white you spot it easier.
Her argument was it confuses her with the shoulder of the road. There were also a few sections of warnings of frost and ice, with some saying specifically to watch out for the shadows  :lol8:

We then arrived at the nothern point of lake Taupo....wow! Its huge, almost ocean-like! Apparently, it was a volcano that erupted many many years ago and gauged out the center of the island, leaving a massive crater. The lake if the world famous for its fishing, and has the largest natural trout fishery in the world!

It was just passed 5ish when we arrived at Tony's lodge, where we would be staying for the night. A friendly gentleman named Tony of course, that opened the lodge about 8 years ago when he retired from corporate life and moved down from Auckland.

The below pic is now from the eastern side of the snowy mountains and across from Lake Taupo (stolen from google as it was darkish when we arrived)

We went to bed pretty early that night, after hot dogs for supper. The next morning we were up by 0600, packed and ready to go by 730. Tony made us some scrambled eggs, and had packed out some yogurts and fruits for us. We grab some for the road and left at about 08h00.

the route, roughly 300km

The SH1 again was pretty average but have now come to realize that if you want to travel to get somewhere take the SH1 - we were home just after 12, which puts the journey for 600km'ish at just over 8 hours.

We filled up in a town called bulls on the way down - It has, black bulls everywhere! We spotted about 15 of these statues just driving through the town!

The rest of the day was spent washing, ironing, and cleaning.

Next time we will do a halfway stop on the scenic route and not SH1 !

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #655 on: May 06, 2019, 07:39:42 am »
Nice - thanks for posting - appreciate the effort this takes  :thumleft:
Eat life!

Offline w@nted

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Ride to Work and Work to ride...
« Reply #656 on: May 23, 2019, 08:34:30 am »
Thanks for the pictures and updates! How is the family doing adjusting to life in NZ? Wife and son happy?
Bikes: Honda CB1, Yamaha XT660R, BMW F800GS, BMW R1200GS DOHC, BMW R1200GS LC Trophy edition, Husqvarna 701 Enduro

Offline Sardine

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #657 on: May 23, 2019, 11:47:29 am »
Not sure how I missed your trip report.

Fantastic photos and write-up!  8)

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
« Reply #658 on: May 23, 2019, 12:11:39 pm »
Cool photo's and info on places I have heard of but never seen  :thumleft: Glad you are united with your family again and enjoy every precious moment together. When we moved back to SA couple of years ago I made a big effort to unpack and settle my wife in immediately so she could get on with things. Probably the reason why I 5 years on still have crates unpacked in my garage with my stuff  :thumleft:
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Offline silvrav

« Reply #659 on: May 24, 2019, 06:01:58 am »
Will do some updates later next week.

Been hectic at work with budget time and currently man down with the man flu....  :bueller: