Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in New Zealand - The move has been made...  (Read 44528 times)

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
Re: The Potential Journey to a first world country..... (NZ offer received!)
« Reply #260 on: October 17, 2018, 09:38:33 am »
  I am fortunate enough to have friends over there that will lodge me for the 2weeks and allow me to use of their car)

Wellington or Auckland?

That was in Auckland when I went over in June....

Now I will be staying in Wellington so either Airbnb or short term room/apartment rental until wife and kids join me

Cool, Come braai as jy eensaam  :biggrin: :biggrin: voel. (voor vrou en kids oorkom) Het tuisgemaakte boerewors.Ons praat darem nog afrikaans by die huis. Ek sal jou die Manawatu en Horowhenua omgewings gaan wys.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 09:39:21 am by Ama ride ride »
Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Offline silvrav

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #261 on: October 17, 2018, 09:54:20 am »
  I am fortunate enough to have friends over there that will lodge me for the 2weeks and allow me to use of their car)

Wellington or Auckland?

That was in Auckland when I went over in June....

Now I will be staying in Wellington so either Airbnb or short term room/apartment rental until wife and kids join me

Cool, Come braai as jy eensaam  :biggrin: :biggrin: voel. (voor vrou en kids oorkom) Het tuisgemaakte boerewors.Ons praat darem nog afrikaans by die huis. Ek sal jou die Manawatu en Horowhenua omgewings gaan wys.

:thumleft: Sal so maak dankie!

Online Ganjora

« Reply #262 on: October 17, 2018, 11:09:41 am »

why the boerewors,  braai and speaking in afrikaans?
you must assimilate into your new culture.

Offline caconcepts

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #263 on: October 17, 2018, 12:21:12 pm »

Embrace the new culture......walk randomly without fear, drive somewhere with your doors unlocked, don't lock your front door, sleep with the windows open, listen to the news without saying FFS 20 times or simply drive down to the beach don't lock you car and just sit and watch the ocean, without looking over your shoulder constantly......... :imaposer: :pot: :pot: :pot: :pot: :pot: :pot: :pot: :pot:
DT50, XL500, F650GS Dakar, Honda NC700, F650CS, R1200GS x 2, R1200GSA x 3, K1200LT, G450X

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Forum Whore
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #264 on: October 18, 2018, 07:19:03 am »

I expected dirty or Hein to ask this question.. :imaposer:

Boerewors. Since when is it only an afrikaans thing? Go and look at any soutpiel or black braai and look what are on the coals next to the meat.Who won the Checkers boerwors competition the last few years? Even butchers here sell it. However I like my wors in a certain way so I try to make my own. The Kiwi's prefer the soutpiel breakfast worsies. But since I started braaiing with them they demand I provide boerewors.

Braai vs BBQ.Will take pics next time to show you the difference. Psst check out netflix. There is a dokkie about bbq and braai.

Afrikaans. Well , English is my 3rd language so its like pudding to be able to speak afrikaans every now and then.

But fear not. I have jandals in my cupboard.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 07:31:21 am by Ama ride ride »

The following users thanked this post: Aircooled

Offline caconcepts

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #265 on: October 18, 2018, 07:23:59 am »

Boerewors. Since when is it only an afrikaans thing? Go and look at any soutpiel or black braai and look what are on the coals next to the meat.Who won the Checkers boerwors competition the last few years? Even butchers here sell it. However I like my wors in a certain way so I try to make my own. The Kiwi's prefer the soutpiel breakfast worsies. But since I started braaiing with them they demand I provide boerewors.

Braai vs BBQ.Will take pics next time to show you the difference. Psst check out netflix. There is a dokkie about bbq and braai.

Afrikaans. Well , English is my 3rd language so its like pudding to be able to speak afrikaans every now and then.

Well Said....
DT50, XL500, F650GS Dakar, Honda NC700, F650CS, R1200GS x 2, R1200GSA x 3, K1200LT, G450X

Offline Sardine

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #266 on: October 19, 2018, 08:03:00 am »

:spitcoffee:

Have you been on a flying fox yet?

Offline silvrav

Just woke up, thought another week of waiting, being end of the month I also would need to chat to my boss again, but woke up this morning to the mail stating work visa approved and attached!  :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

It is now a reality.....it hasnt sunk in yet but this might be my last week in SA....

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
Great news and glad for you, looking forward to see how things go on the other side.
May everything work out well for you.
Dakar 650
KLR650

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
Just woke up, thought another week of waiting, being end of the month I also would need to chat to my boss again, but woke up this morning to the mail stating work visa approved and attached!  :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

It is now a reality.....it hasnt sunk in yet but this might be my last week in SA....

Great Stuff Hannes!

Now the really hard part starts. You can do it!  :deal:  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 05:35:56 am by Mr Zog »
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Forum Whore
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #270 on: October 29, 2018, 06:22:28 am »
Have you been on a flying fox yet?

Oh yes. Love them :imaposer:

The following users thanked this post: Sardine

Offline Boerbok

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Melbourne (ex-Centurion)
Good luck with the big move and life reset.

It is daunting, and on some days it seems like an endless mission, but break it into a list of tasks and solve them one at a time. You’ve made it this far, you’ll be fine!
Hans

CURRENT: 2017 Honda CRF1000L
SOLD: 2013 BMW F800GS - 2007 BMW G650 XChallenge - 2004 BMW R1200GS - 2002 KTM 640 Adventure - 1998 Honda XR600R

Offline silvrav

So its been a busy last 24hour since getting the go ahead.

1. Temp accommodation booked for 1 night at a motel just off the airport - I am landing at 23h45 in wellington so feel to bad to wake a host at that time.
2. Then a weeks accommodation arrange to get to know the area more before getting a long term rental
3. Bank account applied for and opened from SA side
4. Car finance arranged and pre approval received - So now i can shop when I land for some wheels.
5. Need to pack more at home and arrange for rentals to be extended and 1 returned to avis
6. air ticket has been changed

Some info on my airbnb experience. So, I find a nice little place to book for a week that is close to the city...so book and pay :) only to wake up to an email from the host, oh sorry I am having issues with airbnb and its actually booked :( Airbnb sends an email advising that the host must cancel, which he does and i get my original amount + 10% back to say sorry. Find a new place and booked that...lets see.

I like this efficiency....

The following users thanked this post: Carrots

Offline Whatsupwes

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
Congrats and Good Luck with the move, it's getting real now!!!

Please update the costs record for interest sake! Is the bike sold?

All the best!
2004 & 2008 Yamaha BWS
2015 - Ktm 390 Duke
2004 - BMW F650GS
2013 - R1200GS LC
Live the Life You Love - Love the Life You Live

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Forum Whore
  • Ride to ride again

1. Temp accommodation booked for 1 night at a motel just off the airport - I am landing at 23h45 in wellington so feel to bad to wake a host at that time.
2. Then a weeks accommodation arrange to get to know the area more before getting a long term rental
4. Car finance arranged and pre approval received - So now i can shop when I land for some wheels.
5. Need to pack more at home and arrange for rentals to be extended and 1 returned to avis

Some info on my airbnb experience. So, I find a nice little place to book for a week that is close to the city...so book and pay :) only to wake up to an email from the host, oh sorry I am having issues with airbnb and its actually booked :( Airbnb sends an email advising that the host must cancel, which he does and i get my original amount + 10% back to say sorry. Find a new place and booked that...lets see.

Toughen up, you will just have to get used to it.  :imaposer:

Glad your accommodation shorted.
Cars? You are going to be like a kid in a candy store. Here are 1000 of models never released in SA.

Offline silvrav

Re: The Potential Journey to a first world country..... (NZ Work VISA approved!)
« Reply #275 on: November 01, 2018, 06:15:44 am »
Congrats and Good Luck with the move, it's getting real now!!!

Please update the costs record for interest sake! Is the bike sold?

All the best!

Will update a bit tonight at the airport once I sit down for a bit

Toughen up, you will just have to get used to it.  :imaposer:

Glad your accommodation shorted.
Cars? You are going to be like a kid in a candy store. Here are 1000 of models never released in SA.

I have been told so... So very excited to get going. For now it will be public transport cause I can and it works
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 06:17:03 am by silvrav »

Offline silvrav

Re: The Potential Journey to a first world country..... (NZ Work VISA approved!)
« Reply #276 on: November 01, 2018, 06:24:41 am »
My last full day yesterday was all to do with finalising last minute items, last minute signings of documents for new medical aid for the fam, returning the one the avis car and some packing.

So my last night in SA...

Decided to have a last few Windhoeks and some biltong.  :biggrin: some pizza for dinner as take aways is moer expensive in NZ and some quality time with the family.

Instead of the usual splitting of duties between my wife and I for our sons bed time routine, I did it all... Spend some quality time with him... Going to be tough today to say good bye to him for a few months and sommer got a knop in my throat just thinking about it.

Today will involve last minute shopping, including my wedding ring replacement that hasnt been done yet, a haircut and a coffee and cake with the family before I leave for the airport at 14h00.

For some reason I can not check in online and have to go check in at the airport counter... More queues.... I hate queues...  :sip:

Atleast once through I'll go sit in the slow lounge one last time... Thanks fnb  :thumleft:

Oh and from 34deg pretoria I will be landing in 11deg wellington  :3some:
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 06:26:10 am by silvrav »

Offline J-dog

• Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #277 on: November 01, 2018, 06:33:37 am »
Bon voyage and bon chance Silv!  :thumleft:

Offline Slingervel

« Reply #278 on: November 01, 2018, 07:53:40 am »
Good luck man!!

I assume you're on the FB People who live / wanting to live in NZ? Gooi bietjie your last airport photo's there.

I saw a post there yesterday of a dad saying goodbye to his two sons, toe kry ek n knop in my keel.

I can just imagine leaving my wife, 2,5 year and 2 month sons behind...  :'(

Good luck, and constantly remind yourself why you're doing this to stay motivated.

We're planning to leave next year as well for NZ.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Offline w@nted

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Ride to Work and Work to ride...
« Reply #279 on: November 01, 2018, 08:48:25 am »
My last full day yesterday was all to do with finalising last minute items, last minute signings of documents for new medical aid for the fam, returning the one the avis car and some packing.

So my last night in SA...

Decided to have a last few Windhoeks and some biltong.  :biggrin: some pizza for dinner as take aways is moer expensive in NZ and some quality time with the family.

Instead of the usual splitting of duties between my wife and I for our sons bed time routine, I did it all... Spend some quality time with him... Going to be tough today to say good bye to him for a few months and sommer got a knop in my throat just thinking about it.

Today will involve last minute shopping, including my wedding ring replacement that hasnt been done yet, a haircut and a coffee and cake with the family before I leave for the airport at 14h00.

For some reason I can not check in online and have to go check in at the airport counter... More queues.... I hate queues...  :sip:

Atleast once through I'll go sit in the slow lounge one last time... Thanks fnb  :thumleft:

Oh and from 34deg pretoria I will be landing in 11deg wellington  :3some:

Wow, I am excited on your behalf. Please keep us updated with pics etc... :sip:
Bikes: Honda CB1, Yamaha XT660R, BMW F800GS, BMW R1200GS DOHC, BMW R1200GS LC Trophy edition, Husqvarna 701 Enduro