Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in New Zealand - The move has been made...  (Read 64596 times)

Offline landieman

• Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
Re: The Potential Journey to a first world country..... (NZ Work VISA approved!)
« Reply #280 on: November 01, 2018, 01:35:11 pm »
WOW,Silvrav,all the best  :thumleft:
don't worry about things you can't change,change the things you can.

Online silvrav

• Bike: AJS (all models)
Re: The Potential Journey to a first world country..... (NZ Work VISA approved!)
« Reply #281 on: November 01, 2018, 03:02:21 pm »
Boarding time...

It was tough, almost surreal to say good bye to my son and wife... Just felt like another business trip I'm going on. To some degree it helped but think it will sink in much later :(

Its weird, exciting, tiring, all at once... Thinking of stuff shouldve done or could've done before leaving... Feel bad leaving my family behind and hoping it's not to long before I see them again.

Time to get through check in, security and then chill a bit in the slow lounge before boarding

Online IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
« Reply #282 on: November 01, 2018, 03:04:37 pm »
Good luck....my wife and son left about 2 months before me...it is a surreal experience...however time flies....

Go well
Swim.Bike.Run.Eat.Sleep

Offline Vlekkie

« Reply #283 on: November 01, 2018, 03:41:35 pm »
So roughly 6 months all and all.  Fairly quick if you consider what was achieved - when you are really goal orientated the chips fall in place..

Offline Buff

« Reply #284 on: November 01, 2018, 03:48:29 pm »
All the best fella, keep us up to date  :thumleft:
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline Motor1

« Reply #285 on: November 01, 2018, 06:57:58 pm »
Best of luck mate, hope you settle in nicely and family follow soon.
Sold: 2010 BMW F800GS
Sold: 2010 XT660Z
2011 XT1200Z
2013 Vespa 300 Gts
2009 Suzuki AN400

Online silvrav

« Reply #286 on: November 02, 2018, 07:32:14 am »
Thanks Everyone!

Had a hectic 11 hour flight to Sydney, sitting here and waiting to board to Wellington.

didn't sleep much so will post details and pictures over the weekend....

The following users thanked this post: Sardine

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #287 on: November 02, 2018, 09:01:44 am »
Fascinating to follow this "adventure" Silvrav! Good luck on NZ soil - may you find there everything and much more than you are hoping for! Showing a lot of guts doing this.

Online silvrav

« Reply #288 on: November 03, 2018, 01:32:50 am »
Right...update time....sorry for you all but I am now 11 hours ahead, so you will only get to read this in the morning. But now @Mr Zog and I can chat during the day  :lol8: Well his friday is my saterday.

What an interesting past 72hours. It all started at home. Wife and I decided that I would uber to the airport, instead of them dropping me, Reasons being:

1. Believe it would be easier on my son as this is what I did when I was traveling for work.
2. I don't want them to travel back home on their own for fear of bastards at the airport.

Good bye's felt short and now feel like I should've hugged them even longer.

I got to the airport in good time, but with a note that the flight is delayed for 20mins. The last time I flew to NZ the flight was also delayed and I missed my connecting flight in Sydney to Auckland and had to wait for an extra 3hours....so wasn't sure what to expect.

I also couldn't check in for my flight online for some reason, I believe this is due to the delay, and when I got to the airport the counters were still closed. I decided to have a beer and meet up with my replacement from my old work to do a bit of a chat/handover to him to help the guy out. About an hour and a half later and a beer or 2 we greeted and I joined the queue.

Check-in was uneventful with only the nice lady dropping my bag weight from 30.7kg to 30kg, as my limit was 30kg before being charged.

For the first time in my flying time (and some of you know how much I have flown in the last 2 years) the place was quiet! I was through security in 10mins and the queue for emigration was 5 long...however this didnt stop me to stay put for 30mins....  :lol8:

Some background info first, I use to be in the navy and still have some navy items, one of those being my suit carrier bag that has big SA NAVY embroidered on it.

As I got to the front of the queue the very last kiosk opened, reserved for the assisted passengers, and the lady officer waved me on... She saw my navy bag and asked if I was in the navy. I indicated I was and the 1,000 questions started.... Where you going? what you do? contact details? etc....I thought oh crap...really? my last exit from SA and now they elect to screen me. I already saw how I am moving my flight due to being retained/delayed  :lamer:

Luckily, in the end, all was good and she wanted to know what I am doing cause she is having issues with the body corporate at a place she just bought. I assume she has been asking everyone what work they do in the hopes she runs into someone who does property....like me. So she and I stood for about 30mins chatting about her issues and me advising her what she can and can not do. I gave her my contact details and said she can email me whenever she needs some help. Think I just made a contact at emigration  :thumleft:

The flight was uneventful except for my neighbor who was a bit arrogant and we kept fighting, well I did for just half the armrest for the whole flight. I eventually dozed off and think i slept a good 5-6hours...again very unusual for me....

We got off at Sydney in time (thanks captain!) where I proceeded to find the closest bar and have a beer....There is a place called Heineken House! With a BIG tower of beer...I elected to sit there and have a beer....12ish Aus$ or R150!! :eek7: Big pill (or beer as it was a draught) to swallow but it was worth it!  :drif: Somehow tasted better than the beer back home. I had about an hour and a half to sit and wait for the Wellington flight.

Once boarded it was relatively smooth flying until we were about 20mins out from Wellington. It got bumpy and the captain informed us previously to expect it....He hasn't landed once in Wellington without turbulence....wellington is a windy city after all (see their mountain board below)

We landed without incident and proceeded to disembark. I was surprised to see how small the airport was, must be the smallest international airport I have been through.

Immigration control was also friendly and easy, much better than Auckland as I recall they looked scary and was very detailed in their questions and scans. My bag eventually made it onto the carousel and proceded to collect it and buy a local sim card. (no FICA or RICA kak. give money, get card already activated and loaded). Lady was nice enough to even put it in my phone as I forgot my pin in SA, to open the sim card drawer.  :spitcoffee:

I was originally going to use uber/taxis/public transport to get to the motel but my buddy from Auckland, who did a LSD trip to Wellington, advised its better to get a rental car for at least the first 3-4days....and I can now agree. All those bags, on public transport in wet and windy weather, would've been chaos... besides ubers cost would've been the same as a car rental for 2 days  :patch: car rental here is pretty cheap, about R100-R150 a day for entry level.

The car rental, however, was off-site from the airport and a shuttle came to collect me...the "shuttle" pulls up, colored lights all over and 2 locals getting out....I almost thought I was back in SA, proper taxi looking  :deal:

They helped me load my bags and off we went to get the car, which was parked a block away from my motel for the night  :imaposer: I got in, drove around the block (2, maybe 3  times as I missed the entrance a few times) :3some:

Now, one thing I have noticed in NZ is that certain places are NOT 24/7 like it is in Africa. I got a friendly email when I confirmed my motel stay to say thank you and here is the pin code for the safe to get your key as you elected to arrive outside office hours  :patch: say what....ok will see when I get there.

I see reception but no safe...walk around a bit to try and spot a box on the outside wall, maybe in the blocks (there are 7 and they said I will be in block 6). Nothing nada.... Now its -0100 local time (12h00 sa time) so I am tired but not overly tired so it's confusing me even more. Then I pull my phone out and decide to read the message one more time before I phone the poor guy at 0100 in the morning. The message says, in the reception. My sa brain had to read it a few times....I proceeded to try the reception door and hey presto its open. I go inside, looking all uncomfortable as this is a first. I spot the safe on the counter, next to the computer, bunch of other electronics, files, books flowers in vases etc. I proceeded to enter the pin and open the safe. There are 2 envelopes and I find the one with my name on it... At that moment I felt like I was on the amazing race  :imaposer: A letter with a bunch of instructions on what to do, where to park and where my room is.

I don't even take my big bag out the car, I grab my laptop bag and head inside. Dropped my bag, undress and hit the bed. Send some messages to the family back home and decide to watch some TV before I drift off in the next 30mins.

Before I went to sleep I set my alarm for 8am local time...my alarm does go off but I fall asleep again only to wake up at 0950, realizing I need to check out by 10  :imaposer: get dressed, grab my stuff and head out.

I proceed to check out and then straight to bannings (NZ builder warehouse, but better) and get some NZ plugs for my charges, and cables and and and. I also realized I forgot my leatherman in SA (stupid stupid stupid) and had to buy a local knockoff for 7NZD (about R70)...But maybe for best in the end. Its small and I can carry it around much easier then my I could my leatherman. How long it will last remains to be seen.

Now, driving here is much different than SA, you need to watch the rules, watch your speed, watch your blind spots, watch the other road users, watch watch watch. Local speed is 50 (not 60) and my foot struggled to be comfortable at 50, so it is a muscle memory I need to change.

I can only check in at the airbnb at 2pm so now I am sitting at a local coffee shop and having a R50 cappuccino, which isn't bad if you consider they are R40 at mugg and bean back home... just better in NZ :) New Zealanders love their coffee and they have a coffee shop at almost every big corner over here.

oh, one last thing, its quite different than anything else I have experience. My travels in Africa and even Auckland I had either friends or colleges that could tell me go here, there or you can buy this over there...Here not so much. So I need to discover things all over again. I have found a barber, coffee shop, grocery store, barber and a bar so far!  :thumleft:

Thats enough to survive on now.

Edit - photos added

Oh, the photo about the signs company van? Its Saturday, company is closed, and the business van is standing outside  :eek7: no fear of stealing or even just breaking in it seems.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 07:48:03 pm by silvrav »

The following users thanked this post: funky_munky, Sardine

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #289 on: November 03, 2018, 04:50:12 am »
Lol welcome

Wellies indeed is a windy city. Next week its going to be lekker warm.

Anyway, from Wellies to the north there are only two "exits" roads. They are called state highways. SH for short. SH1 go north on the west side of NZ and SH2 on the east side.

So when you are brave enough take SH1 north and discover the Kapiti coast. Or of you want to become a wine snob, take the SH2 to Masterton, Martinborough etc and go and sample local stuff.

Enjoy the discovering. Hows jetlag?
Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Online silvrav

« Reply #290 on: November 03, 2018, 04:55:54 am »
Lol welcome

Wellies indeed is a windy city. Next week its going to be lekker warm.

Anyway, from Wellies to the north there are only two "exits" roads. They are called state highways. SH for short. SH1 go north on the west side of NZ and SH2 on the east side.

So when you are brave enough take SH1 north and discover the Kapiti coast. Or of you want to become a wine snob, take the SH2 to Masterton, Martinborough etc and go and sample local stuff.

Enjoy the discovering. Hows jetlag?

aaa thanks  :thumleft: not much of a wine snob but craft beer I enjoy. Locals already told me about the tap garage for beer....sounds interesting :p

Jetlag not to bad. I always found the SA-NZ ok, where the NZ-SA hits me....but this time I am not returning so all good

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #291 on: November 03, 2018, 05:01:41 am »
I will tell you a small secret.

I have mate who works at a small craft beer brewery in Wellies....And you buy your beer out of taps in the wall there. Seem its the tap garage you speak about
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 05:02:26 am by Ama ride ride »
Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Online silvrav

« Reply #292 on: November 03, 2018, 05:05:47 am »
I will tell you a small secret.

I have mate who works at a small craft beer brewery in Wellies....And you buy your beer out of taps in the wall there. Seem its the tap garage you speak about

That sounds about right! The lady I am staying with said exactly that...that and that she had 3 to many last night  :imaposer:

Offline ROMMEL HOND

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #293 on: November 03, 2018, 05:56:38 am »
Welcome to NZ Hannes...can't open your photos, but if you want to experience wind then you must come to the Canterbury Plains this time of year.

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #294 on: November 03, 2018, 04:13:25 pm »
Tipies SAners, skaars daar en julle weet al die bargain suipplekke!! :peepwall: ;) :lol8:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Online silvrav

« Reply #295 on: November 03, 2018, 07:50:02 pm »
Welcome to NZ Hannes...can't open your photos, but if you want to experience wind then you must come to the Canterbury Plains this time of year.

Thanks Rommel! will make a note to come that way in due course.

Tipies SAners, skaars daar en julle weet al die bargain suipplekke!! :peepwall: ;) :lol8:

Ek drink nie baie bier nie maar as ek drink soek ek kwaliteit...dit en my vrou kom eers volgende jaar oor, so moet op ander maniere besig bly. :peepwall:

Online silvrav

« Reply #296 on: November 03, 2018, 08:17:26 pm »
Seems the google drive photos dont work lekker so re-added them.

Short update...Just woke up, gone 07h00 here Sunday morning, but it wasn't a peaceful sleep. Originally woke up at 02h00 and had to force myself back to sleep to get into the new timezone as soon as possible. Otherwise, work tomorrow is going to be plenty interesting.

Today is a nice sunny day and the airbnb I am staying at is right next to a bird sanctuary so have plenty of locals that starts early morning with their rituals.

Plan for today is to try and find a temporary 3-4month rental as I am only at the airbnb till saterday, and then go out and get some more groceries, a snapper card (the local public transport pay/cards) and an umbrella  :biggrin:

Then just look at this view.....

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #297 on: November 04, 2018, 02:44:00 am »
Beautiful View Hannes  :drif:

Strongs for Monday boet  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Online silvrav

« Reply #298 on: November 04, 2018, 05:06:48 pm »
 :patch: just gone 4am...woke up at 0000, 0200 and 0400 now...  :sip: but won't be able to go back to sleep now.

Weird, last time I came to NZ the timezone didn't stuff me around so much....or it's cause I'm stressing about all the stuff I need to do....you see last night I got a message informing me the short term rental I have lined up from this coming saterday was not actualy available and they had crossed info on their website.  :(

So now I need to find a new spot from saterday or become a tree hugger and go sleep in one. Rentals are not easy to get here and the airbnb I am staying is already booked from. Saterday by someone else.

Duckit... I must just go straight onto a 3 bedroom plave for when the family arrives... Lets see what this week holds... Time to netflix to pass the time before I need to go work...

Times like this I miss my home/fam as there isn't much one can do at an airbnb  :deal:

Online TeeJay

« Reply #299 on: November 05, 2018, 09:15:42 am »
Nice man - following this thread with interest. Nice to read your stories - please keep it coming!
Eat life!