Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in New Zealand - The move has been made...  (Read 45069 times)

Offline silvrav

• Bike: AJS (all models)
Re: Life in New Zealand - The move has been made...
« Reply #580 on: March 20, 2019, 09:18:24 pm »
I'm super stoked that they are there ok, and that now finally your life is complete again  :thumleft:

And now you can laugh at the wife when she has her own WTF moments  :imaposer:

ps. posting those pics of the lamb on the braai was just wicked  :xxbah:  :drif:  :imaposer:

Doors always open  O0 We can braai every night  :deal:

Sometimes we don't fully appreciate what we have until we don't have it.
I am sure you now know exactly what your family means to you.

Emigrating puts a strain on any relationship.
Work hard on getting it all back together.  Cuddle a lot. Be soppy romantic for a while.
Remember that your wife now has to go through all the changes you went through.

I am overjoyed you guys are together again !  :thumleft:

Thanks Fud! Good advice right there  :thumleft: The biggest problem is the sudden stop for the family so I am trying to mitigate that at the moment.

Dankie vir die update, amazing to all be back together again!

Also, at that young age I can imagine your son is nearly totally different person to who you said goodbye to 4 months ago, they grow and change insanely quickly, with mine I notice changes even after just a week of absence!

Emigrating puts a strain on any relationship.
Work hard on getting it all back together.  Cuddle a lot. Be soppy romantic for a while.
Remember that your wife now has to go through all the changes you went through.

Yes, the most stressful common experiences:
Death of a loved one
Divorce
Changing jobs
Moving

When we relocated it took us about 18months to really settle in.
Things like making new solid friends can't be forced and really only come with time.
Enjoy the process and give each other more space than usual to adjust    :thumleft:
For us it's an adventure
They leave that whole support network behind
Good to hear you are all together again. Woman seem to process the whole immigration thing a lot different than men. I remember it took my wife a very long time before she finally unpacked all of her suitcases. They (at least my wife) seem to take a lot longer to make friends and trust people, which is essential to settling in.

Thanks guys! I have a saffer that's still staying with us for now that also has a 3-year-old and wife still in SA. We clicked and will see if they wives get along but so far we think they might. They also found a house across the park from us so maybe it's a good solid friendship. My buddy in Auckland also mentioned this and that his wife took a while to adjust. So I have made her a nice little list of things she can do/sort out at home  :pot:

african cucumber

I have never seen that in my life?!! Looks like some sort of turksvy?

Very happy for you and your family being together at last!! :thumleft: :thumleft:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cucumis_metuliferus - some more info  :thumleft: We used to collect them in the Namib desert as children but the variant there does not taste anything as they say in the link...its bitter enough to make any man pull a funny face.  :imaposer:
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 09:29:12 pm by silvrav »

Offline silvrav

« Reply #581 on: March 20, 2019, 09:40:31 pm »
The family is almost over jetlag and my son just can't get enough of his bike and almost took it with to bed to hold it while sleeping  :ricky:

Guess I will need to start looking for a little 25cc when he is older.

Then some of my favorite whiskey was on special this weekend (50% off at $30) and I just couldn't resist. My wife was ok with it as she knows this bottle will last me 6-12months as I am not a big drinker.

This morning I saw a big tanker being tugged into the harbor.  Made me miss my dad as he works for SARS on the harbourside and he used to take me on routine inspections of ships in my younger days.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 03:32:31 am by silvrav »

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #582 on: March 21, 2019, 03:21:48 am »
Nice man  :thumleft:
Eat life!

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #583 on: March 21, 2019, 07:13:57 am »
I am glad it is coming together so well for you and your family.
That is one happy biker with many smiles per meter! :thumleft:
Dakar 650
KLR650

Offline Christian Kuun

• Wynkop Kuun- Onder die Wyntenk in Stellies
    • My Web Album
« Reply #584 on: March 24, 2019, 04:43:47 pm »
Learning Quickly in NZ… Slow Down. One,thing at a time. Dont work too hard  :lol8:

We are used to multi-tasking and moving swiftly because time is money,and we need to get the job done. These chaps are in no rush and the quickest way to pick up hassles is to make your coleagues look bad, or so they told me.  :deal:
Mampoer could solve all Africa's problems....

https://picasaweb.google.com/home

Online immigrant

« Reply #585 on: March 24, 2019, 04:50:56 pm »
Learning Quickly in NZ… Slow Down. One,thing at a time. Dont work too hard  :lol8:

....These chaps are in no rush and the quickest way to pick up hassles is to make your coleagues look bad...

:deal: The first rule to becoming a successful immigrant.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 04:59:49 pm by immigrant »
Yamaha Super Tenere, Yamaha R1, Yamaha FZ8, Yamaha Grizzly, Yamaha Viking, Honda CRF250L

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #586 on: March 24, 2019, 04:55:53 pm »
Heartwarming to see you all finally settling in together, well done  :thumleft:

Offline silvrav

« Reply #587 on: March 24, 2019, 08:44:14 pm »

We are used to multi-tasking and moving swiftly because time is money,and we need to get the job done. These chaps are in no rush and the quickest way to pick up hassles is to make your coleagues look bad, or so they told me.  :deal:

....These chaps are in no rush and the quickest way to pick up hassles is to make your coleagues look bad...

:deal: The first rule to becoming a successful immigrant.

:imaposer: :imaposer: No truer words has been spoken... I am chasing a simple email from a college of my for 3weeks now. Been contemplating cc'ing in the boss as one would in SA but have to really thing about it in NZ

Offline silvrav

« Reply #588 on: March 24, 2019, 09:15:04 pm »
Busy busy weekend!

Friday night we had some unruly teenagers drinking in the park, just before they left they shattered some glass bottles on the basketball court and ran like hell  :dousing: Typical teenage behaviour.

As I was making coffee Saturday morning and had my sit down to admire the view a park ranger bakkie or UTE as they called in NZ, pulled up and 2 rangers jumped out and cleaned the area  :eek7: another WTF moment for me. I mean it literally happened only a few hours earlier.

Then we did our normal Saturday grocery shopping at Pak and save (comparable to a makro kind of shop) but with good veg/fruit and meats. We then spotted something...something that made me jump for joy, some mielie sakke, but mielie sakke that I could see had wood in it  :drif: on closer inspection, it was only pine, but then at the back there was Manuka (local hard wood). at $25 a bag you might get 3 braai's out but I had to, so we got a bag and it will be treated with a good braai every other week  O0

On Sunday we did some exploring and went to Makara beach and west field wind turbine farm. A mere 10km from home but going through farmland, where on the side of the road you can buy anything from horse poo, to acorns, to alpaca poo for your garden. It was a stunning twisty road (and would be perfect for 2 wheels  :ricky:, and spectacular views. Unfortunately its narrow with some areas single road only so no places to stop to take photos.

I'll comment further on the photos below with some video's at the end.

Rangers to the rescue

mmm, wood braai  :drif:

Also got a fridge for $1 - dop en vleis fridge for the garage

Turbines, turbines everywhere! It was quite amazing the sheer size of these!

IN the background past the ocean you can see the south island mountain ranges  :thumleft:

Offline silvrav

« Reply #589 on: March 24, 2019, 09:20:43 pm »
Some photos of Makara beach!

Then this morning getting into the city it was still quite dark so did some long shutter speed photos, but will need a trypod for crips clear photos:

Offline silvrav

« Reply #590 on: March 24, 2019, 09:23:18 pm »
The beach was full of pebbles (no sand beach) and you can hear how the pebbles rush over in the waves - quite soothing.

Then on the wind turbines, you can hear how it slices through the air. I was quite amazed so was my son, but wife just wanted to leave in fear that they will sheer off and slice us all in 2  :biggrin:

« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 09:26:56 pm by silvrav »

Offline 0012

• Double-oh-Tkwarf
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Race the rain. Ride the wind. Chase the sunset.
« Reply #591 on: March 25, 2019, 10:49:02 am »
Wow, awesome pics and vids, thanks!

Hoe maak die subaru, nou dat jy dit al n rukkie het - goods, bads, surprises...?

->    TransAlp 650 - sold
:(    Yamaha XT1200Z - written off - R.I.P.

Offline silvrav

« Reply #592 on: March 25, 2019, 07:49:42 pm »
Wow, awesome pics and vids, thanks!

Hoe maak die subaru, nou dat jy dit al n rukkie het - goods, bads, surprises...?

Good! Really enjoying it and the space inside is awesome. Loaded the garage fridge in it when I collected it  :thumleft:

Its an old vehicle so the rubbers are wearing, and and and,  but all fixable.

Suprises... How well the motor and turbos still run :biggrin: and the car feels planted thanks to its AWD. We most likely driving up end of April to fetch doggie in Auckland so will have a real feel for it long distance

The following users thanked this post: 0012

Offline Christian Kuun

• Wynkop Kuun- Onder die Wyntenk in Stellies
    • My Web Album
« Reply #593 on: March 26, 2019, 11:26:16 pm »
I love the sound those pebbles make when the water retracts- its therapeutic and I can sit for hours
Mampoer could solve all Africa's problems....

https://picasaweb.google.com/home

Offline silvrav

« Reply #594 on: March 27, 2019, 12:09:41 am »
@Mr Zog fault...he is inspiring me... looky what is in my auction list. Still going but got a bid or two in  :peepwall:
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 12:10:29 am by silvrav »

Offline silvrav

« Reply #595 on: March 27, 2019, 12:11:12 am »
I love the sound those pebbles make when the water retracts- its therapeutic and I can sit for hours

yip! and with a whisky in hand its bliss!

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #596 on: March 27, 2019, 02:40:00 am »
@Mr Zog fault...he is inspiring me... looky what is in my auction list. Still going but got a bid or two in  :peepwall:

:biggrin: :peepwall:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

The following users thanked this post: Willem-Ben

Offline Oubones

« Reply #597 on: March 27, 2019, 04:41:49 am »

Now that is they way to go! :thumleft:
I hope you are successfull.
What sailing do you have around there?
That is harbour or dam size yacht?
Dakar 650
KLR650

Offline silvrav

« Reply #598 on: April 01, 2019, 08:19:45 pm »

Now that is they way to go! :thumleft:
I hope you are successfull.
What sailing do you have around there?
That is harbour or dam size yacht?

The one I am bidding on is harbor size yacht. Sailing here is mostly ocean sailing as the Wellington harbour. (See aerial) is quite protected from the rough seas, but the bigger yachts and more experienced sailors will sail between Wellington and the other towns around NZ.

With the protected harbor there are also a lot of sailing clubs for young and old

In the middle of the North island there is Lake Taupo for those that prefer dam/lake sailing and dont want to do the 150 odd km to the ocean every weekend.

Offline silvrav

« Reply #599 on: April 01, 2019, 08:25:24 pm »
The family is settling well, some more then others  :peepwall: My wife is still up till midnight/2ish in the mornings again and think jetlag still got her. That and the fact that she has not a lot to do at the moment. so this coming weekend I will be forcing her to drive the car so she can get use to driving here. Then she will feel more comfortable to drive on her own and not have to rely only where the public transport can take her.

I also went to pick up an old BBQ for free over the weekend. The plan is to clean it up nicely, take out the burners, get a 6mm steel box welded together and drop it in where the burners sat. Temporary braai that's not a Weber  :imaposer:

The area I collected it from is called Melrose, and it overlooks the airport and southern end of Wellington.

Some photos and a clip I took from a plane taking off.

&feature