Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: AT-DCT Suspension Tuning  (Read 952 times)

Offline Leftless

• shop.Africa-ADV.com
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • License Plate: LFTLSS-WP
    • Africa-ADV
AT-DCT Suspension Tuning
« on: May 11, 2018, 04:32:10 pm »
So I spent a bit of time tuning my suspension.  It seems that the springs in the DCT are quite soft and cannot get the correct static or rider sag in the front and the rear.   The front seems to be worse, probably due to the extra weight of the gearbox.  I will run the bike like this for a bit, probably add some oil to the front forks, but will replace the front springs soon.

Below a tuning chart, I created (summary of a bigger doc) to help with the settings.  this is a work in progress.  this shows the factory settings as well as my current settings with the resulting sag measurements.

One's ability lies in what you let yourself to believe is possible, and not the perceived limitations your body might have.

CB50, XR500, YZ465, FZ750, XL250, XL650R, GS1200, HP2, KTM690,  AfricaTwin-DCT

Offline THROTTLE JOCKEY

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Number plate T JOCKEY EC
Re: AT-DCT Suspension Tuning
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 04:39:57 pm »
 :sip:
Ride it like you stole it!

OWN:KTM 950 SE***Suzuki DR650***Yamaha XT 600 Tenere***Yamaha XT 200***Honda CRF450X***Honda TRX 300 Quad***CRF1000AT
LIBERATED:KTM 640 Adventure***Suzuki 200 Djebel
SOLD:HONDA CRF450R***Honda CR250R***Yamaha YZ250***Yamaha WR200***BMW F800GS***YAMAHA XT660 extreme***Yamaha XT660

Offline Leftless

• shop.Africa-ADV.com
  • Race Dog
    • Africa-ADV
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 06:39:35 pm »
Went for a 300km run in and around Malmesbury and Piketberg.  I left the tyre pressure at 1.8 and 2.0 for the time being.  This helps with rocks that you inevitably find in the road.  There is a VAST improvement over the standard settings.

The front is still a bit soft and low leaving the rake angle very steep.  The only way to fix this is to replace the springs and will have to wait a bit.  in the meantime, ill be increasing the oil level 5mm. 

I also found that wider pegs will be on the immediate short list.  it is a bit difficult to balance or force wight on the narrow pegs. 

More testing next weekend.
One's ability lies in what you let yourself to believe is possible, and not the perceived limitations your body might have.

Offline DavidMorrisXp

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 07:48:45 pm »
cheers Leftless

Can you post the ABS/TC model settings
Check out my YouTube channel, please like & subscribe

https://www.youtube.com/c/DavidMorrisMedia

Offline Leftless

• shop.Africa-ADV.com
  • Race Dog
    • Africa-ADV
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 07:52:07 pm »
Just to reiterate, I generally do not commute with the AT, this is purely weekend riding.  Anything listed here is my personal preference.

When on tar I leave the ABS and TC settings at their default (moffie mode) as I do believe they add value on tar roads.  However, the dynamics of how a motorcycle behaves (steers, turns and brakes) on dirt is vastly different to tar.  On dirt ABS = OFF, TC = OFF.  The bike will NOT stop in the same distance on dirt with ABS ON.  I rely on the wheels to skid and slide on dirt - opposed to tar

This is a personal choice and specific to MY riding style.  In most cases, I would consider ABS = ON, on dirt to be irresponsible and dangerous!  I've been in ONE, and that was ONE too many incidents where I crested a blind hill on a high mountain pass at speed just to find a sharp turn and barely able to stop due to ABS thinking it a good plan to release the brakes as it thought I was skidding.  In fact, I was skidding, deliberately, cause that's how you stop a bike on dirt.    TC just does not make sense in the dirt - any time the system detects the two wheels turning at different speeds it removes power from the back - now try that in sand or a proper climb.   You'll just end up not going anywhere and in some cases where you think you want to "blip" over a bump, the TC just goes "nope" and you fall on your bum.

i

Offline Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
    • CFO Consult SA
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2018, 09:04:15 pm »
Its good to hear from you again here

I fully agree on what you saud about Abs and tc

On dirt I need to be fully in control of the bike. No electronic stuff please.

I hope you get the suspension sorted.
Safe miles.
And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

www.cfoconsult.co.za

Offline Leftless

• shop.Africa-ADV.com
  • Race Dog
    • Africa-ADV
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 07:49:54 am »
Thanks Kaboef, took a while but was inevitable   ;)

Yea.  The suspension is not that far out at the moment.  It's just annoying that I cannot set it the way I want it.  My assumption is that they have the same springs in both the manual and the DCT.  The DCT is around 10Kg heavier with all the wight right in front of the engine (clever gearbox) but they did not change the front springs to accommodate this.

Currently, the rear rider sag is 34% instead of 33% with the front at 36%.  these are both tuned to max preload.  The rear static sag 35mm (16%), that is spot-on.  The front static sag, on the other hand, is 60mm (26%).  In my opinion, this should be stiffened a bit.  These are all small variances and should not bother most riders.  I'm just picky. 

With the suspension set as it is currently, one could live with this if you have to.  It is a vast improvement over the stock settings.  I must admit it is hard and not great for town riding.  This is however great for moderate to bad gravel tracks.  If the front is stiffened up a bit more, it will be more better.

Offline Grunder

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Maak 'n koffie
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 09:36:15 am »
 :sip:
NC700 F800GS

Offline Boerbok

• Race Dog
  • Melbourne (ex-Centurion)
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2018, 01:03:57 am »
Thanks Leftless, how much do you weigh all kitted up?
Hans

CURRENT: 2017 Honda CRF1000L
SOLD: 2013 BMW F800GS - 2007 BMW G650 XChallenge - 2004 BMW R1200GS - 2002 KTM 640 Adventure - 1998 Honda XR600R

Offline Knucklhead

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • aka: Mooseknuckle/ knucky/knuckles/philistine
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2018, 06:03:48 am »

Offline Leftless

• shop.Africa-ADV.com
  • Race Dog
    • Africa-ADV
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2018, 07:45:44 pm »
That's open for discussion.  I would like to say 85kg but my wife seems to differ.  I also don't wear a size 28 jean either...  All my riding gear seem to have shrunk in the past 5 years.  It must be the heat in attack where I stored it.  Realistically I would need to guess around 100 to 105kgs all kit on.  We don't own a scale (my wife banned it from the house - bearer of bad news and all) so it's difficult to say - definitely not 85  :eek7:

You should do the measurements for rider sag.  This will give you the correct setting.   Setting the preload to an estimated weight is not that accurate as your riding position might differ from mine placing the moment of your mass different to mine.  Also, if you have an AT-D or AT-A will influence the shock loading.  Currently, both the front and rear preloads are set to max with the rebound and compression damping set to fairly slow both ends.

Then remember this is purely for solo off-road riding.  I even removed the rear pegs and would prefer to fit a narrow rally style one-piece seat, but all in due time. 

I picked up fork oil earlier and will be adding 5mm to the front and run that for a while to how this helps before replacing the front springs.

Offline BlingKing

• Don't just fix it - BLING IT!
  • Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • R3k Vendor
    • Bling King Motorcycles
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2018, 09:36:48 am »
It is probably the best money you will spend on the AT judging by the feedback I have had from the customers I have helped.

Fit a set of WILBERS Progressive front fork springs - they are better weighted in nM strength and of course the progressive side of the springs take care of the high speed compression that causes handling head-aches such as corrugations in the road etc.
This coupled with the better grade fork oil and the corrected air gap will end the front end woes.
They are on special at R 2899.00 fitted here in Rivonia

Contact us on 011 234 8161 or Denver@blingkingbikes.co.za
Professionals is Suspension Matters
We Service & Repair Dual Sport & Adventure Bikes
Upgrades, Repairs & Replacements of Shocks & Forks
Importers for WILBERS Suspension AG, TFX Suspension, HAGON Shocks UK, WUNDERLICH for your BMW!
Agents for: HYPERPRO, BiTUBO, OHLINS, RACE-TECH, K-TECH

Online BikerJan

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2018, 09:40:49 am »
I did the Wilburs conversion, front and back, and am extremely happy with the way the bike handling has improved. Service from Blingking is also first class.

Offline Leftless

• shop.Africa-ADV.com
  • Race Dog
    • Africa-ADV
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2018, 08:56:26 pm »
Thanks, will definitely keep that in mind.  For now, I will need to live with what I have.  I'll look for a distributor in Cape Town. Rivonia is a bit far :)