Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Why all the squabbling about bike weight?  (Read 3779 times)

Offline J-dog

Why all the squabbling about bike weight?
« on: May 17, 2018, 11:53:54 am »
When riders on this form vary between 80kg and 130kg.

A 5-10kg difference in weight between bikes seems irrelevant when half the riders are 130kg lumps of lard  :imaposer:

The following users thanked this post: ETS

Offline Roadhawg

Re: Why all the squabbling about bike weight?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 12:29:49 pm »

A 5-10kg difference in weight between bikes seems irrelevant when half the riders are 130kg lumps of lard  :imaposer:

I think this may be aimed at me hahah.   Your point is kinda my point as well. But also I just find it funny at guys going "Sheesh, 212kgs is flipping heavy."  and the "Wow! Only 207kg!! Massive weight saving. Definitely the new middle weight king" :biggrin: :biggrin:

I think people fall for the manufacturers marketing departments a bit easily, instead of actually looking at the facts objectively.

Online Noneking

• Unverified
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 890 Adventure R Rally
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 12:57:07 pm »

Depending on terrain.....

A 130kg rider will benefit more from a 40kg lighter bike on a technical ride than losing 40kg and staying on a big bike

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 01:03:23 pm »
When I am riding more technical terrain the bike does the work of lifting my weight over obstacles, but I have to do the work of fighting the bike weight to keep it upright.  ;)
Your body stays more constant and you don't have to fight against it so much.

Offline shanti

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • rest stop moon
    • derek saul
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 01:12:12 pm »
it comes down to picking the thing up at the end of the day not so much the weight while upright but I guess the shocks might disagree

Offline iamgigglz

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • The Hula hoop is Dead. Long live the Hula hoop.
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 01:32:32 pm »
it comes down to picking the thing up at the end of the day not so much the weight while upright but I guess the shocks might disagree

I'm less worried about how much weight there is and more about where the weight is. My 990 weighs the same as an NC750X - any guesses which is easier to pick up?
Bensien - Wife came home today with a Samsung 3D LED TV and 3D Blue Ray player with built in wi-fi and 1TB hard drive. What else do I need?
Kaboef - A cheaper wife.

Offline Battlestar

• IF IM NOT HERE IM ON MY BIKE
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250L
  • "LUX NOBIS DUX"
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 01:52:19 pm »
I ride the probably the heaviest beast out at 258kg dry  :snorting:

But it doesnt bother me. Dont plan on dropping it anytime soon and generally keep to the terrain the bike is designed for
Pass this way once!

Offline Sheepman

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 02:00:33 pm »

Brilliantly the truth  :laughing4:

Offline shanti

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • rest stop moon
    • derek saul
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 02:16:54 pm »
for the die hards you could cut the corners off your maps , remove all the labels from things and cut your tooth brush shorter - might be easier than dieting

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 02:29:26 pm »
When I am riding more technical terrain the bike does the work of lifting my weight over obstacles, but I have to do the work of fighting the bike weight to keep it upright.  ;)
Your body stays more constant and you don't have to fight against it so much.
Best explanation in a long time. I weigh 100kg and prefer a lighter bike. There is a reason why a KTM 690 handles better on dirt than a 1200GS. I can feel it with the Honda 125 Estorm I sometimes ride. Corners like mad, stops in an instant, handles light and naturally. On a racing track lighter bikes pass the big ones in the corners - weight makes the difference every time.
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

The following users thanked this post: Sláinte Mhaith

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 02:33:47 pm »

Maybe true for someone who limits his riding to tar or dirt highways
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?

Offline Sheepman

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2018, 03:09:50 pm »

So what's your take ?

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2018, 03:26:05 pm »
Depends on terrain, imo.

On a heavy adventure touring bike, such as the Triumph Explorer, KTM 1290 Tourer, or BMW GS ADV,  most whom buy them are posers who rarely leave tarmac or ride them on graded dirt roads and tell their friends they rode off-road, prefer a heavy bike for anti deflection.

For riders that really ride their adventure tourers in gnarly terrain, lighter is righter!

Simple physics really.  If one bike is 20 pounds heavier than a competitor, the rider has to wrestle that 20 pounds all day and will be more fatigued at the end of the day.

I enjoyed my 1200GS ADV and Super 10, but my 1290 SAR feels like a Corvette ZO6 while the GS and S10 feel like driving a V6 powered Toyota truck, overweight and abysmally underpowered.

Online Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2018, 03:31:24 pm »

All you have to do is put a scale at the bar of a Wild Dog bash to make that point a fact  :laughing4:
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2018, 03:37:21 pm »

So what's your take ?

My take is that if you ride technical rocky terrain you will feel every extra kilogram that your bike weighs, irrespective of how much you weigh.

Huge difference between riding a 130kg  and a 170kg bike in rocks. This has nothing to do with picking the bike up.
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?

Offline blauth

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2018, 03:42:47 pm »
We all have a choice to buy lighter bikes (of which there are lots), but most don't want to sacrifice the lower HP that goes along with that choice.

Online Altie7deLaan

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Vroom vroom vroom blah blah blah
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2018, 04:01:53 pm »
marketing angles and testing/review of bikes plays a big part.
i remember with the new africa twin how it was overstated that " ja it is a fairly heavy bike, but does not feel like it."
at the end of the day your body will be as tired as the weight it had to control all day out riding but your head may thinking different.

xl185  cb750f  gsx600f  fz750  gsxr750  cbr600f2  cbr900rr cbr929rr  cbr954rr  vtr1000f  fzr1000exup  650dakkie gsxr1000k4  lc4 supermoto  bandit1200s   project fartblood (fireblade streetfighter)  f800gs 690 kaboem

"Choose a bike that will be the most fun in the challenging spots, not one that will be the most comfortable in the easy spots." Walter Colebatch

Offline Africa_Sam

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2018, 04:11:53 pm »
Depends on terrain, imo.

On a heavy adventure touring bike, such as the Triumph Explorer, KTM 1290 Tourer, or BMW GS ADV,  most whom buy them are posers who rarely leave tarmac or ride them on graded dirt roads and tell their friends they rode off-road, prefer a heavy bike for anti deflection.

For riders that really ride their adventure tourers in gnarly terrain, lighter is righter!

Simple physics really.  If one bike is 20 pounds heavier than a competitor, the rider has to wrestle that 20 pounds all day and will be more fatigued at the end of the day.

I enjoyed my 1200GS ADV and Super 10, but my 1290 SAR feels like a Corvette ZO6 while the GS and S10 feel like driving a V6 powered Toyota truck, overweight and abysmally underpowered.

Big Oil,

Why the statement that most GS ADV riders are posers just because they stay on tarmac or ride graded roads. The same should then hold true for someone buying a Corvette Z06 that can do 205MPH but 99% of the owners will never see more than 100mph or take it to a race track. I am a GSA owner that do 90% tarmac. I bought the bike because I liked the look and also because of the comfortable riding position. When I do want to hit the gravel roads then the bike is more than capable.  I think the bulk of the big KTM’s in SA are also mainly used on tarmac and the occasional run through the Karoo gravel roads. There is nothing wrong with that…

I know the bike is heavy and not the fastest but hell, it puts  a huge grin on my face when  I get to take it out - tarmac or dirt roads.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 05:01:42 pm by Africa_Sam »

Online bronzy

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • the older i get the faster i was !!!
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2018, 04:22:01 pm »
most of the Posers aret fat and to old to ride off road  (like me) :imaposer: :imaposer:

Offline Africa_Sam

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2018, 04:29:12 pm »
 :laughing4:
Bronzy – I also think that when  we reached the point where we can afford these toys, we realise that we don’t bounce back so easily after a fall and that it is hugely expensive exercise to fix bike and body if we do lay it down

The following users thanked this post: Skipskop