Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Why all the squabbling about bike weight?  (Read 3773 times)

Offline bronzy

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • the older i get the faster i was !!!
Re: Why all the squabbling about bike weight?
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2018, 04:46:21 pm »
:laughing4:
Bronzy Ė I also think that when  we reached the point where we can afford these toys, we realise that we donít bounce back so easily after a fall and that it is hugely expensive exercise to fix bike and body if we do lay it down
True that Bones dont heal so lekker at 57 thats why i stick to the soft riding will leave the heavy stuff for the youngsters    :thumleft: :thumleft:

Online Warren Ellwood

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2018, 05:52:14 pm »
When riders on this form vary between 80kg and 130kg.

A 5-10kg difference in weight between bikes seems irrelevant when half the riders are 130kg lumps of lard  :imaposer:

I take serious offence to your statement sir, I am only 126kg of lard  :biggrin:
"Before you speak, ask yourself, is it kind, is it necessary, is it true, and does it improve on the silence?"

Offline Sheepman

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2018, 08:47:48 pm »
When riders on this form vary between 80kg and 130kg.

A 5-10kg difference in weight between bikes seems irrelevant when half the riders are 130kg lumps of lard  :imaposer:

Brilliantly the truth  :laughing4:

Maybe true for someone who limits his riding to tar or dirt highways

So what's your take ?

My take is that if you ride technical rocky terrain you will feel every extra kilogram that your bike weighs, irrespective of how much you weigh.

Huge difference between riding a 130kg  and a 170kg bike in rocks. This has nothing to do with picking the bike up.

True it might be - but the rationale of the point is that a few bike kilos up or down the scale is fundamentally irrelevant if the purchasers and riders of those bikes differ mildly to hugely in body weight

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2018, 09:02:03 pm »
for the die hards you could cut the corners off your maps , remove all the labels from things and cut your tooth brush shorter - might be easier than dieting

Toothbrush??

Us real bikers just leave our dentures at home. :eek7:

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2018, 09:23:25 pm »
I weigh 75ish kg - every bike I have is a hand full.

My skinny bod can't compress the suspension on my 950 S, so I gotta ride footup-and-fall. The bike's weight is not an issue really but sometimes I'm just a passenger, while it fucks off all on it's own. To me, it's only heavy when I need to stop.

The 450, on the other hand, is just a rocket-ship with my weight. It's like trying to control a quiddich stick .......... I love it.  :biggrin: No weight whatsoever but still not easy to keep upright when farting around in the rocks.

Both are easy to pick up, I've had enough practice ..............  ::)
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline Ri

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2018, 10:07:56 pm »
for the die hards you could cut the corners off your maps , remove all the labels from things and cut your tooth brush shorter - might be easier than dieting

Toothbrush??

Us real bikers just leave our dentures at home. :eek7:
:laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4:

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2018, 10:30:39 pm »
After I bought my KTM 500 EXC all my other bike feel like lumps of lard. You just cannot compare the feel of a 115kg bike to any of the 200+kg bikes. And the thing is this 500 is lightning fast and stops on a penny. Such a hooligan tool! I love it.
18 till I die.
If hard work pays, show me rich donkey.

Offline Sycamore

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2018, 10:56:56 pm »
Iíve often wished (desperately) that I was on a lighter bike.
Iíve never wished I was on a heavier bike.

Offline zacapa

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
  • XR650L - 134.217kg lite weight special...
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2018, 11:33:00 pm »
because - = +

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2018, 05:22:25 am »
Depends on terrain, imo.

On a heavy adventure touring bike, such as the Triumph Explorer, KTM 1290 Tourer, or BMW GS ADV,  most whom buy them are posers who rarely leave tarmac or ride them on graded dirt roads and tell their friends they rode off-road, prefer a heavy bike for anti deflection.

For riders that really ride their adventure tourers in gnarly terrain, lighter is righter!

Simple physics really.  If one bike is 20 pounds heavier than a competitor, the rider has to wrestle that 20 pounds all day and will be more fatigued at the end of the day.

I enjoyed my 1200GS ADV and Super 10, but my 1290 SAR feels like a Corvette ZO6 while the GS and S10 feel like driving a V6 powered Toyota truck, overweight and abysmally underpowered.

Big Oil,

Why the statement that most GS ADV riders are posers just because they stay on tarmac or ride graded roads. The same should then hold true for someone buying a Corvette Z06 that can do 205MPH but 99% of the owners will never see more than 100mph or take it to a race track. I am a GSA owner that do 90% tarmac. I bought the bike because I liked the look and also because of the comfortable riding position. When I do want to hit the gravel roads then the bike is more than capable.  I think the bulk of the big KTMís in SA are also mainly used on tarmac and the occasional run through the Karoo gravel roads. There is nothing wrong with thatÖ

I know the bike is heavy and not the fastest but hell, it puts  a huge grin on my face when  I get to take it out - tarmac or dirt roads.

Iím not singling out just GS ADV riders, I also listed Triumph Explorer and KTM SAT riders as well!!  I donít feel thereís anything wrong with how you use your GS ADV, when Iím old Iíll probably do the same thing.

My issue isnít with those of you who only ride graded gravel roads, my issue is with the guys who ride their GS ADVís, Triumph Explorers, AND KTM Super Adventure Tís to Starbucks and talk about how they did a bunch of off road, then you ask them where, and they tell you of graded gravel roads.  Thatís my pet peeve with those types.  Thereís absolutely nothing wrong with using either of the bikes I mentioned for all pavement use, as you said, and I agree with you, I like the looks and seating position as well.

As far as your ZO6 explanation, I agree with that too.  Though again, my perspective is most likely much different from yours.  I have personally driven cars at extremely high speeds in my state and Texas, where there are wide open spaces with little to no traffic.  I rode shotgun in a C6 ZO6 when we embarrassed a Ferrari F430 on our way to about 190mph.  Talk about pissed off, nothing pisses off a Lamborghini or Ferrari driver more than when a ZO6 embarrasses their $250,000 exotic sports car!!!  I agree with you that most ZO6 buyers will not see that kind of action, but there are those who do track days and race their cars as well.

Happy riding on your GS :thumleft:

Offline Noneking

• Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
Why all the squabbling about bike weight?
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2018, 07:02:41 am »
The Starbucks analogy doesnít have the he same impact in aa South African context....

« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 07:06:19 am by Noneking »

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Race Dog
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2018, 07:31:13 am »
The Starbucks analogy doesnít have the he same impact in aa South African context....

Starbucks has stores in SA?  They serve alcohol?  Just beer, or wine, whiskey, bourbon, brandy, etc?

Offline iamgigglz

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • The Hula hoop is Dead. Long live the Hula hoop.
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2018, 07:36:21 am »
It's like trying to control a quiddich stick ..........

Underrated comment  :lol8:
Bensien - Wife came home today with a Samsung 3D LED TV and 3D Blue Ray player with built in wi-fi and 1TB hard drive. What else do I need?
Kaboef - A cheaper wife.

Offline Africa_Sam

« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2018, 08:18:09 am »
 :thumleft: :thumleft:
Thanks for the explanation Big Oil.  Yeah, I think it is also about perception. For you the bar for off-road may be set at heavy technical riding but for the average Joe it is an accomplishment just to bring the bike back home in one piece from a ride on a graded road. I can do some technical single track or a long climb up a jeep track on my mountain bike - to me it is still mountain biking.

Taking the old heavy GSA tank off the tarmac on a set of Anakee 3's for me is taking it off-road. The  movement of the bike on the marbles or the  sand monster forcing it into a will of its own makes for heart stopping moments that you hardly experience while out on the black stuff.

Safe riding !!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 09:00:15 am by Africa_Sam »

The following users thanked this post: big oil

Offline hugh101

• Race Dog
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2018, 08:41:25 am »
I ride a big bike cause it suites my needs. I'm big and strong and can pick it up as many times as I need too
It tests my skills to ride a big bike in inappropriate places, it puts a moerse smile on my face  :ricky:

"a wise man has money in his head but not in his heart"-Johnathan Swift
Bmw 1150 GSA
Bmw  RnineT
Honda CTX 200 bushlander "bosbulletjie" sold
F 650 gs

Offline 2wdrift

« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2018, 08:50:53 am »
During the time I had my 1190R I had the misfortune of losing 20kg due to malaria, the weight loss was fine but all the rest sucked big time.

Before the weight loss I was the master of where we went and had no issue with sand or any of the other terrain I rode. After the weight loss I was much more of a passenger on the bike than before and it took me a month or two to gain confidence again. I had to exaggerate all my movements and weight transfers by a big margin to get the same effect on the bike.

Being a heavy guy on a light bike feels sketchy to me, the bike wheelies easier and you need to be more gentle with your inputs.

In my experience being heavier means having more control over the bike regardless of the weight of the bike.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 08:52:49 am by 2wdrift »
XR650R the one and only
Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls.  ~Stirling Moss

Don't worry my stutter is also bilingual...

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2018, 09:14:09 am »
I'd imagine that losing 20kg as a result of malaria would weaken you much more than losing the same amount due to diet and exercise, and the bike riding experience would be somewhat different.
Succumb not to the erosion of those born of unconsecrated union.

"Two Wheels, an engine and a place to sit." What more do you need?

2021 a milestone. 60 years a biker.

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2018, 09:21:16 am »
Why the squabbling about squabbling when you don't even have a bike yourself?
Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline J-dog

« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2018, 09:26:15 am »

:imaposer: My bike weighs nothing.

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2018, 09:27:22 am »

:imaposer: My bike weighs nothing.

At least you lost a lot of weight  :lol8:
Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy