Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Why all the squabbling about bike weight?  (Read 3772 times)

Offline Bappas

Re: Why all the squabbling about bike weight?
« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2018, 08:23:46 am »
With me redlining the scale at Kg 72, I have never had to complain about inadequate suspension.

You Me!! Part of a very small  % !!!!!!
"Life is like a jar of Jalapeno peppers...What you do today, might Burn Your Ass Tomorrow"

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #61 on: May 21, 2018, 08:48:34 am »
Nobody mentioned picking that 200+kg behemoth up after a spill. It is all very nice to ride such a bike, but when the going gets tough and it tips past a certain point, it goes down and there is nothing you can do about it. Then jump off and cheerfully pick it up again.....oh you cannot on your own, so wait for help, oh you are a Xpat wannabee and travel alone.....you are f#cked!
With a lighter bike chances are it wont fall over to start with because it is so much lighter and that point of no return is way more over. And if it should fall over it is no big deal picking it up again.
Hey different horses for different courses, me I ride a 500!
18 till I die.
If hard work pays, show me rich donkey.

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2018, 10:22:42 am »
Nobody mentioned picking that 200+kg behemoth up after a spill. It is all very nice to ride such a bike, but when the going gets tough and it tips past a certain point, it goes down and there is nothing you can do about it. Then jump off and cheerfully pick it up again.....oh you cannot on your own, so wait for help, oh you are a Xpat wannabee and travel alone.....you are f#cked!
With a lighter bike chances are it wont fall over to start with because it is so much lighter and that point of no return is way more over. And if it should fall over it is no big deal picking it up again.

My KTM990 weighed 250kg without luggage and it was not a problem to pick it up. Doing it over and over again might have been a problem though.
Friend on same bike which was about 15kg lighter.  No real difference we could experience between the two.

Offline wolf skaap

« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2018, 11:15:37 am »
My KTM990 weighed 250kg without luggage and it was not a problem to pick it up. Doing it over and over again might have been a problem though.
Friend on same bike which was about 15kg lighter.  No real difference we could experience between the two.

The terrain is the big distinguishing factor.
We kakked off getting a 950 up Penges pass while I rode my XTZ (170kg dry) to the top without a hassle.
But we are talking ~30kg difference
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 11:16:53 am by wolf skaap »
Let the good times roll!

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2018, 11:34:37 am »

Maybe you are very strong! :pot:
18 till I die.
If hard work pays, show me rich donkey.

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #65 on: May 21, 2018, 03:31:40 pm »

Have you considered entering the World’s Strongest Man competition?  :peepwall:

Offline iamgigglz

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • The Hula hoop is Dead. Long live the Hula hoop.
« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2018, 04:07:10 pm »
Again, it’s just as much about where the weight is on a bike as it is how much the bike weighs in total.
A 990 and an NC weigh the same. Which would you rather pick up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bensien - Wife came home today with a Samsung 3D LED TV and 3D Blue Ray player with built in wi-fi and 1TB hard drive. What else do I need?
Kaboef - A cheaper wife.

Offline AntonW

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
« Reply #67 on: May 21, 2018, 05:01:17 pm »
The big difference is fatigue, having both a 640ADV,  950SE and the 130kg. I am less tired after a day on the 640. i don't believe it just the weight. Having more power makes you work harder. Higher speeds means equals to more wind/air pressure on the body is one reason.
Henry Kissinger is said to have once opined that "academic debates are so bitter because the stakes are so low.

" It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you
realise that there is always a way to solve problems without using violence "

Offline wreckit

« Reply #68 on: May 21, 2018, 08:31:51 pm »
It's not about the weight of the bike /rider in so much as what you are working with. You have to manhandle the weight of the bike and that is what you feel. Its like trying to say if you lose 10kg of personal weight, you can now go bench press an extra 10kg at the gym because the total combined weight is is still the same

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #69 on: May 21, 2018, 08:41:05 pm »
Maybe you are very strong! :pot:

Have you considered entering the World’s Strongest Man competition?  :peepwall:

Have I expressed myself incorrectly? Is it abnormal to be able to pick up a 990 when it has fallen over?
Nah, I think most people can do it.

Again, it’s just as much about where the weight is on a bike as it is how much the bike weighs in total.
A 990 and an NC weigh the same. Which would you rather pick up?

Yip, with only 20kg luggage added on top of the seat right where you try to lift the bike it becomes difficult. Have to remove the luggage first.

Offline Toors

« Reply #70 on: May 22, 2018, 09:03:44 am »
de[ending on what you do weight makes one hell of a difference

A KTM 250 is 2.5kg lighter than a 450 - that is nothing right?  Yes if you are doing open high speed riding - but I dare you to to go ride a mountain all day - I promise you you wont still say that...

So weight is relative to the application of the bike. ::)
KTM 350 XCF-W
KTM 1050 Adv
Silent Submerge N-19 Saltwater
  "Those who say it can't be done, should get out of the way of those who is already doing it..."  Sheck Exley

Offline Sheepman

« Reply #71 on: May 22, 2018, 09:48:31 am »
de[ending on what you do weight makes one hell of a difference

A KTM 250 is 2.5kg lighter than a 450 - that is nothing right?  Yes if you are doing open high speed riding - but I dare you to to go ride a mountain all day - I promise you you wont still say that...

So weight is relative to the application of the bike. ::)

Jip  ;) Few people can ride a 450 all day long in a mountain......and the bigger the bike, the tougher it gets

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #72 on: May 29, 2018, 05:27:36 pm »
Just returned from a 4 day Cape Town / Verneukpan / Cape Town trip. Lots of sand and mud. In our group of 3 we had a pig 1150 Adv, 990 Adv, F800GS, and a good 10 spills or incidents.  Fortunately, we were there to help each other pick up the bikes or lift it out of mud, so the burden of the weight was shared as we helped each other.  Apart from being shaken and confidence levels dropping, there were complaints of heavy bikes to pick up. Fortunately a boxer only leans over so much☺. For the distances covered and speeds achieved smaller bikes might have complained, and it is comfortable to have an 800 ambling along at 4000 rpm at a decent speed instead of a screamer working hard all the time. Smaller bikes would have handled the sand and mud better though (less spills?), but then one would have had to do a mind-shift and travel slower and lighter, and perhaps provide for more travelling days. Keeping up with traffic close to the cities is important as well. You should be able to go 130 on the N1 for extended periods. Choices, choices...
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline Grant650x

« Reply #73 on: June 02, 2018, 09:29:25 am »
Your thumper / 650 should be able to cruise at 130kph on tar no problem and be far more fun off the tarmack where we like to spend our time

Heavy pigs don't make sense unless you spend a lot of time stabbing it

Just saying

Online Lord Knormoer

• Knight Kevlar: Order of the Alu Pannier
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2018, 05:29:44 pm »
Your thumper / 650 should be able to cruise at 130kph on tar no problem and be far more fun off the tarmack where we like to spend our time

Heavy pigs don't make sense unless you spend a lot of time stabbing it

Just saying

All a matter of preference.

I find smaller bikes uncomfortable and doing 130km/h on tar would put me to sleep. I also don’t do dirt for the sake of getting dirty but rather because it’s the only way to get somewhere interesting. My 1200 always served me well, including the times I took it off road.

Also never dropped it so many times in one day that I got tired of picking it up.

The only time the weight bothered me was after the EC Bash on the way to KTM Kev’s place by the coast with a sprained ankle on a sandy track. Makes for a good story though.

Offline Grant650x

« Reply #75 on: June 02, 2018, 09:21:32 pm »
As I said - try to keep off the tar
Much more fun on the dirt

Tarmack jockeys love the big bikes because they can moss fockoff