Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: GPS/ NAVIGATION - HELP  (Read 115 times)

Offline NEON DEON

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
    • View Profile
GPS/ NAVIGATION - HELP
« on: July 12, 2018, 10:47:10 am »
I have a gps in my jeep , factory fitted and a roadfinder in another vehicle , but think its a good/nice to have on the bike when touring , With options as long as ones arm what is the most user friendly option  ? I have toyed with using the roadfinder , just need to get a nice mount . But then one also read that phone apps work very well , problem here is some use data and some not , advise please . but I see a small hick up in that a cell phone image could be on the small side and I would think using a I pad mini would be a better option , nice big screen .
If I chose to go with this option , and I elect to buy myself a good used Ipad , whatever these things are called ,run it on a pay as you go sim , and download the app . and mount it on the bike , I have a 12v power out let so the battery wont run flat . Good idea or not ?

Offline meurig

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
    • View Profile
Re: GPS/ NAVIGATION - HELP
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 10:54:01 am »
Try https://wego.here.com/?map=-33.9258,18.4232,10,normal

Nokia maps - FREE called HERE WE GO has an app for IOS & Android, you can download the app, then the maps for the country you want.  Your data usage should be low there after
Other members will have other suggestions too
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 11:45:25 am by meurig »
Check out my YouTube channel, please like & subscribe

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUyKBSrBu-N5oswrTlAhphQ

Offline Greenshields

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 11:17:51 am »
GPS on a bike is not just about navigation-the ability to see what is coming your way(sharp turns,straights etc)is a prerequisite for high speed gravel touring.Cell phones are just for navigation,their small screens are useless for road info.
My Montana 600 mounted on its side gives a fantastic track/route view in a large screen format.
Hope this helps
R1200GSA
2007 XR650R
2007 XR650R
TW 200

Offline Robin Brown

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 12:24:27 pm »
276 cx large screen, not touch screen, takes many maps, comes loaded with Africa Topo. We also run OSM topo and T4.

Offline troos

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 02:50:07 pm »
You could also consider a garmin zumo 395/396/595

These models are targeted for the motorcycle world. For me, one of the great features is it is glove friendly (you dont have to remove your glove to operate it).

My 2c......

Offline NEON DEON

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 02:57:48 pm »
possible to get some pic of the devises .

Offline troos

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 03:02:52 pm »
see garmin's website http://www.garmin.co.za/prod_detail_motorcyle_gps.php?productid=636

i have the 395 and veryhappy with it.

the 396 was released roughly a couple of weeks ago (not sure if it is available in rsa)

Offline Clint_G

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 03:10:22 pm »
The problem with the iPad Mini will be that it isn't waterproof. I use my Samsung S8+, and it works perfectly.

Even just in the top of my tank bag, it's more than adequate to see basic directions. I bought the KTM GPS mount, and will be attaching my phone to it using a second cover with heavy duty velcro on the back.
I used that on the GS, and it worked great, even off-road. If mounted properly, its great for seeing the road ahead.

For on road navigation, Google Maps is perfect. For off-road, I use Osmand+. It's available on the Play Store, and it has loads of gravel roads. SA maps are around 450mb, then it doesn't use data any more.
You could then use a cheap Huawei phone with a big screen as a GPS without a SIM card, as the GPS still works without a SIM card in the phone.

The following users thanked this post: NEON DEON