T4A on older Garmin Nuvi. Battery/power?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rival

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF 300L
Recently bought T4A maps to check how it works. I have a Garmin Nuvi in the car for day-to-day use that I prefer to keep on the Garmin maps and settings. Thought I'd see whether the T4A maps will work on two older Nuvi's I had lying around that has outdated maps. Played around with the old units this weekend, loaded T4A onto both with no issues. Even managed to send a track I had on basecamp to both and I could import it as a route on the GPS. Was pleasantly surprised.

Both older Garmins have dead batteries. As soon as you unplug, they're off.

I can run the one (2460) from a power-bank as the powered mount has a mini usb plug. It also has a micro-usb input in the GPS, but it goes directly to "sync-mode" when I use power from a power-bank. The mount is bulky and would prefer not to use it, but it works, so remains an option.

The other one (760) has a powered mount as well, but has a custom connection into the mount, and plugging the power-bank directly into the GPS's mini-usb again goes directly into "sync-mode".

Can one still find batteries for the older models? Is it worth replacing them? Is there a way to get around the "sync-mode" issue and power them directly off the power-bank?