Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Kawasaki KLX450 - Giving the old girl some love  (Read 4462 times)

Offline Buff

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
    • View Profile
Re: Kawasaki KLX450 - Giving the old girl some love
« Reply #80 on: August 06, 2018, 10:16:41 am »
Sunday I got stuck into some random cleanups. Cleaned and polished up the front wheel and checked bearing, all good there  :thumleft: I first hit the spokes with a lemon/lime juice and vinegar mix and then with Autosol, they cleaned up well.

Dogmatix mentioned the speed unit wasn't working and he suspected something broke because he heard a large click after installing the front wheel some time back. Turns out the tabs on the magnetic sensor were installed incorrectly and they broke off (common issue on the KLX). I cleaned it all up and I'll see if Dux can order me a new sensor separately.
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline Buff

• Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 06, 2018, 10:24:04 am »
Lastly the Airbox, Tank and Boil bottle got some attention. The airbox has been hacked to death by someone on a mission to extract extra power (I suspect @Dux  ;) ) but in the words of Lydon Poskitt... "You can't expect a bike to make more power if you don't give it air", so I'll excuse him this time  ;) I inspected the airbox intake into the carb as well and it was clean (before I cleaned it) so the box doesn't seem to be taking in any dust so no need to reseal the gaskets. They're now all ready installation  :thumleft:

If I get a gap this week, the Frame & Swingarm will be dropped off for vapour blasting.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 11:14:40 am by Buff »

Offline Buff

• Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 06, 2018, 10:24:59 am »
And Yes, I know my Beta has a puncture  :-[

Offline Bubby

« Reply #83 on: August 06, 2018, 10:26:02 am »
Hi Buff

Apologies for late posting.
Got your backing pad finally. I will include other odds & ends necessary.
Will PostNet tomorrow morning and you should be able to collect Thur / Fri. Will send you tracking number.

Cheers

Offline Buff

• Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 06, 2018, 10:29:43 am »
Wonderful, looking forward to try it out, thanks @Bubby   :thumleft:

Offline Cracker

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 06, 2018, 10:55:14 am »
Buff, where did you get that bearing kit? I've been using AllBalls which are fine but am always on the lookout for a cheaper option.

The linkage bearings seem to last a long time, with occasional cleaning and greasing. But the swingarm bearings don't seem to last as long as I'd like.
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline Buff

• Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 06, 2018, 11:11:59 am »
Buff, where did you get that bearing kit? I've been using AllBalls which are fine but am always on the lookout for a cheaper option.

The linkage bearings seem to last a long time, with occasional cleaning and greasing. But the swingarm bearings don't seem to last as long as I'd like.

@Dux sourced them for me, he'll be able to answer your question  :thumleft:

Offline katana

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Sheer Smiling Pleasure
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 06, 2018, 11:45:53 am »
That is not flat, it is optimized for traction using the Tubliss system.   :thumleft:
"The only man that has to remember anything, is the man who tells a lie" Mark Twain

Offline Buff

• Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 06, 2018, 11:51:41 am »
That is not flat, it is optimized for traction using the Tubliss system.   :thumleft:

LOL... you're not far off, I let it almost all the way down in an effort to find traction in the Macassar dunes but I must have torn the inner bladder riding it too soft on the way back to the bakkie because it's not holding air.

Offline Black_Hawk

• BackroadRiderZA
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com
    • View Profile
    • My Towns A to Z
« Reply #89 on: August 06, 2018, 11:59:38 am »
You are making good progress buff  :thumleft:.

Can't wait to see the end result.
Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com

2010 F650GS (Sold), 2009 BMW F800GS, 2002 BMW F650GS (Sold), 1982 Honda XR 200R

The following users thanked this post: Buff

Offline Dux

« Reply #90 on: August 06, 2018, 12:13:20 pm »

Turn it around , only the bottom is flat  :biggrin:
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline Buff

• Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 06, 2018, 02:46:30 pm »
Eish, I'm such a chop sometimes... rushed to Postnet now to collect the radiator sent from @Groenie only to discover he sent me only the RHS. I was actually expecting a set of radiators and it's the LHS I really need :-[ So now I still have 2 broken LHS radiators and 3 good RHS radiators  ???
Not Groenie's fault at all, he posted pics of the RHS radiator and mentioned he had one, it was just an oversight from my side. In my haste to have found a replacement so quickly, I never made my needs clear enough  :(

So if anyone needs a RHS radiator for a KLX450... I'm your man  ;D

Offline Buff

• Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 07, 2018, 08:24:49 am »
Pressed in the new linkage bearings last night, running smooth as silk now  :thumleft:

1. Testing the depth of bearing according to manual specs

2. Another part ready for installation
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 08:25:24 am by Buff »

Offline Buff

• Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 07, 2018, 08:34:09 am »
During the evening Vince dropped of two disks for me to try out that he had skollied from one of his Chinese clients earlier in the day  ;D

Needless to say, I needed to see what they could do so I found something to polish. The courser flappy paddle type disk never did much but the smoother disk (left side) that looks like a less abrasive scotchbrite pad has some sic polishing moves and works quickly as well  :thumleft: Not Autosol required at all.

1. The 2 disks

2. Before

3. After

I wasn't able to remove the bearings on the wishbone because of it's collar/shoulder design. It doesn't allow you to push the bearings through so I need a bearing puller to get them out. I'll pop around to @Dux for some assistance when I get a gap.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 08:35:37 am by Buff »

Offline Buff

• Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 07, 2018, 02:51:52 pm »
I forgot to mention that I had a go at straightening that Sub-frame on the weekend... masekinners, that frame is seriously strong, Dogmatix must have seen his gat properly to bend it like that  :o

Firstly I stuck it in my Triton vice expecting to "lean" on it slightly and bend it straight. Not a chance, I wasn't strong enough, not even with the missus and daughter holding the vice secure and me throwing my body weight into it.
Then I placed some wooden blocks on the floor and tried to encourage it straight with a wooden punch and a few lusty blows of a 4 pound hammer. The missus eventually refused to hold it any longer because her ears were ringing too much  ::) I manage to get most of the left/right bend out of it but the up/down bend was proving stubborn.
So then it was on to the heat gun and then back to the vice... aikona, no difference  :-\
Then it was heat gun and hammer... niks, fokkol, nada difference  :-[
Then onto my bench vice, smeared the jaws & subframe liberally with grease so it could slide a bit and then clamped the crap out of it to try and press it straight. I only have a small vice and I was eventually scared I was going to break it if I turned it any more. That seemed to work best and I managed to get it a lot better but it's still not perfect, well not to my liking anyway. Once it's fitted back on the bike I'll try encourage it straighter with a longer lever through the rear of the subframe.

Offline Buff

• Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 10, 2018, 08:38:40 am »
Woman’s day, the perfect time to give my 3 girls some peace and quiet and disappear into my garage, or rather Dux’s garage  ;D

The idea was to get an early start but the carpenters arrived to refit part of my kitchen cupboards after a water pipe leak so I eventually only ended up at Dux around 12pm  :(
I needed some assistance and tools to open up the motor, remove the triple clamps (air wrench was required) and C cup spanner for the rear shock, which we decided to service at the same time. It was one of those slightly frustrating days when some things worked and others didn’t, leaving us unable to close out certain jobs but that’s the nature of the beast.

First up was the motor, the valve/tappet cover was removed to check the valve clearances, plug condition and more importantly, to replace the gasket where we believed the oil leak to be coming from. At this stage we were simply going to check valves and replace the gasket but after sleeping on it, I might take it further and redo the top end while the motor is out the bike (cost dependent).
The valve clearances were all out with the one inlet having zero clearance. Quite amazing the bike started without issues   :o
So Dux set about giving me a lesson in mechanics and I got to learn all about shims, clearances and micrometers, it was pretty cool  :ricky:
Then we hit a snag when closing up the motor, the gasket didn’t fit perfectly… arghhhh  :eek7: There’s an outside chance they sent me the 250’s gasket because it’s ever so slightly out, so Dux will order me an OEM one today to make 100% sure of the correct fit  :thumleft:

Some pics:

1. A highly specialized tool is required to remove the stator plug. Top end bikes require a R5 coin  ;D

2. The internals of a 450

3. Cam removed and shimming started

4. Dux checking clearances with a feeler gauge

5. Dialing in his micrometer (cool tool  :thumleft:)

Offline Buff

• Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 10, 2018, 09:17:12 am »
So then onto the oil screen. Like most race bikes, the KLX450 has an oil screen to filter out the bigger piece of gunk that float around in a motor, like excess silicon used on gaskets and small metal filings etc. On my WR250 it was simple to get to, just remove 2 bolts and replace. On this bike you need to remove the starter motor cover and ring gear, stator cover, pull the flywheel off and remove 2 over little covers before getting to it  :eek7:
We got us far as pulling the flywheel before discovering that of the 4 pullers Dux has, none fit the 450. So it got closed up until we find the right puller  :-\

So we moved onto the rear shock. I needed help getting the lock-nut loose so I could get the spring off and clean the base up which was badly corroded. Dux decided that while it’s off, he’ll teach me how to service a rear shock  :3some:
Onto problem 3 of the afternoon… the little cap on the nitrogen canister had corroded tight. We sprayed it with Q20, heated it up, gently knocked it but nothing worked  ??? It was so tight that the whole internal bladder turned when you turned the cap.

Dremel time, with a miniature grinding disk attachment… and so I got to see another tool in action that I suddenly desperately need in my collection  ;D. The top of the cap was ground off with surgical precision to get to the valve to release the nitrogen. Fortunately the localized heat of the grinder loosened the cap just enough to allow it to be turn off after that. Amazing how something so small can give you so much grief  :o
Then the shock was pulled apart and cleaned and it’s now ready for fresh oil (this weekends job).

Next we removed the Triple clamps and now the frame and swingarm are now ready for some cleaning.

A HUGE thanks to @Dux for all his help, he's like a walking, talking KLX450 service manual  ;D :thumleft:

1.   Inside the Stator cover trying to get to the oil screen

2.   The Dremel disk in action

3.   Flushing the oil, which actually didn’t look too bad.

4.   Rear shock body cleaned up and ready for fresh oil.

Offline Buff

• Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 10, 2018, 03:52:46 pm »
It's times like this that I'm humbled by the guys on this forum. @Bubby was tagged in one of my posts last week as a possible supplier for Scotchbrite type disk pads and he PM'd me saying that he'll send me some stock of the products he stocks to try out. I offered to to pay for them but he wanted to hear nothing of it, not even the Postnet charges. Bear in mind he doesn't know me from a bar of soap  :) So today I get an sms to collect the goodies and I'm expecting 2 or 3 disk pads and this is what he sent me  :o It's 2 photostat boxes full of their products, way more than I ever expected and it includes drill attachments and a few other really cool flapper disks and goodies and rolls of scotchbrite etc. Roll on weekend  8)

I really can't thank you enough @Bubby , I really appreciate it, you're a man among men  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 03:54:32 pm by Buff »

The following users thanked this post: Fuzzy Muzzy

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Husaberg (all models)
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 12, 2018, 09:56:32 pm »
It's times like this that I'm humbled by the guys on this forum. @Bubby was tagged in one of my posts last week as a possible supplier for Scotchbrite type disk pads and he PM'd me saying that he'll send me some stock of the products he stocks to try out. I offered to to pay for them but he wanted to hear nothing of it, not even the Postnet charges. Bear in mind he doesn't know me from a bar of soap  :) So today I get an sms to collect the goodies and I'm expecting 2 or 3 disk pads and this is what he sent me  :o It's 2 photostat boxes full of their products, way more than I ever expected and it includes drill attachments and a few other really cool flapper disks and goodies and rolls of scotchbrite etc. Roll on weekend  8)

I really can't thank you enough @Bubby , I really appreciate it, you're a man among men  :thumleft:

Give us some more pictures and reviews of the stuff that work please.

Offline Buff

• Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 13, 2018, 12:35:00 pm »
I managed to spend some more time on the bike over the weekend. Fri evening I finished up the triple clamps. Fortunately the bearings on top & bottom are still good, the only thing that needed attention was a snapped off bolt on one of the front fender mounts. Luckily only the head had snapped off, leaving me with a very short section of shaft to work with, which was just enough to grip with vice grips.
What followed was about an hour of heating, spraying & praying. I’m soon discovering that the smaller the item, the bigger the problem  :o I eventually got it out and cleaned up the thread with a new bolt.

1. The problem
2. Problem solved
3. Triple clamps ready for installation
4. Pretty much spot on, even with something this small  ;D