Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Beginner ride : looking down  (Read 616 times)

Offline Sithe

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • gewig versplasing
    • View Profile
Beginner ride : looking down
« on: August 26, 2018, 07:54:37 pm »
I’m teaching my 8 year old son to ride. He has been riding for some time now and we just moved up to a petrol bike with gears.

The biggest obstacle I’m facing is to get him to look ahead. He is forever looking at the bike , when pulling off he looks at the dash and then when moving he looks very near the front tire. When he makes a turn his head does turn around to look through the corner.

What exercises can we do to help him ?

I operate at a level supreme to the devil

Offline eberhard

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner ride : looking down
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 10:16:54 pm »
Cover the dash with blank white paper.

When I started riding, my bike had a small fairing. With the fairing on I could not see the front wheel. When I removed the fairing, I also looked at the front wheel. It pulled my attention. With the fairing on I did not look for it. It did not bother me.
eberhard
Aggostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 10:46:42 pm »
You tell him to wait for your signal and then he need to rid towards you. So what I did was I walked away from him a good 80meters or so at first, and he will then look ahead and focus on you. Then you ride in front of him, tell him to follow. They learn fast, he just needs to get the confidence going with the 'petrol bike' as well.

Offline IanTheTooth

• Bike: AJS (all models)
  • The past is a foreign country
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 11:04:38 pm »
Scary stuff Sithe. You know how much you've been hurt on bikes! At my wife's request I kept my kids off bikes and we went sailing instead. In retrospect there wasn't much in it terms of fatalities and my kids got into bikes at the end of the day anyway. Just don't push them, all things will come to those who wait. Ian
Rule #12// The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
While the minimum number of bikes one should own is three, the correct number is n+1, where n is the number of bikes currently owned. This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner.

Offline gmac

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 09:20:54 am »
Get him to go faster - the faster you go the further ahead you look

Just kidding - it will come in time once he gets some confidence - but great you are setting him up for a lifetime of fun

Offline FrancoisTz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2018, 09:41:21 am »
Put a pair of goggles around his neck with the lenses under his chin.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank amongst those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.

Offline Andy Tastic

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2018, 10:51:01 pm »
When teaching new Beginner Riders, the "looking down" is a very difficult habit to break. They are looking at the Speedo or Rev Counter or looking down to see where the Gear or Brake Lever is...grr.
That and "grabbing" the Front Brakes in a panic then turning the Handle Bar to "knak" to the Right, at the same time, is likely the most common causes for a slow speed fall.
I know this because on all my Training Bikes, I replace almost twice as many Right Hand Mirrors and Indicators and Front Brake Levers than ever. Also, most new Riders tend to put their Right Foot down first to stabilze themselves so sore Right Legs or Feet after a Lesson...very common..because the Bike falls on those body parts....ha ha

Where you are looking, is where you are going to go.. and if you look down, thats where you are going to end up, so I get Riders to sit up straight, roll their shoulders back and "point their chins" to where they want to go.

If I find that a Beginner Rider has his or her Balance together with a basic understanding of Clutch and Throttle Control, but they still persistently struggle with the "looking down" issues, then I ride one of the other Bikes and then I get the Rider to follow me, about a Car Length behind me, their Front Wheel follows my Back Wheel. I start off with a large "figure 8" shape, gradually reducing and tightening the corners. To determine which direction I am going to go, the Rider must follow the direction that my head is facing and they must look to the direction that I am looking at and .... within a few minutes, that "looking down" habit is history... !
The mind is so powerful...ha ha

Offline QuintenMarais

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2018, 08:51:06 am »

I know this because on all my Training Bikes, I replace almost twice as many Right Hand Mirrors and Indicators and Front Brake Levers than ever. Also, most new Riders tend to put their Right Foot down first to stabilze themselves so sore Right Legs or Feet after a Lesson...very common..because the Bike falls on those body parts....ha ha

:laughing4:
True that... Sitting with half a brake lever, missing right hand guard, and a limp on the right foot..

Offline Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • WAT KYK JY
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2018, 09:45:08 pm »
Let him wear a Leat brace or... walk in front of him and let him ride you over. He'll get the message.
A F'ugly is a different sort of bike, the 1150 is boring and the 1100s makes me smile. The RT ?... Once you ride one, there is no explanation necessary.

...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Offline Sithe

• gewig versplasing
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2018, 07:50:07 pm »
Thanks guys for the input ... I will try the different ideas and see how we go ... I am at a total loss because the one kid has got it right the younger one I have to keep shouting every 2 minutes look up , look ahead
I operate at a level supreme to the devil

Offline benreaper

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2018, 09:17:20 pm »
Thanks guys for the input ... I will try the different ideas and see how we go ... I am at a total loss because the one kid has got it right the younger one I have to keep shouting every 2 minutes look up , look ahead
Its like that with kids, my 7year old is on a 2stroke auto pocket scrambler at the moment. We only get to go take him riding about every 3weeks or so and somehow in this time he forgets half of the things he was taught the previous time, but after stopping him and correcting him on his mistakes a couple of times he gets back into the flow.
I've concluded from this that repetition is key to teaching some of these things, if they don't do it repeatedly or aren't corrected repeatedly they struggle to learn it.

Offline 2wdrift

• KLR Flip...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2018, 04:42:36 pm »
Do you have any trees with low hanging branches around?
XR650R the one and only
Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls.  ~Stirling Moss

Don't worry my stutter is also bilingual...