Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: I give up!!! - Suzuki DRZ250 - Updated  (Read 1729 times)

Offline Watty

• RIP 29-07-2011
  • Bike: Suzuki Djebel 250XC
Re: UPDATE - Suzuki DR & DRZ's sidestand switch (Rectifier)
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2008, 09:45:32 am »
InProgess and Herms....

I've got nothing to add, but seeing that I own the same bike, I'm following this thread with a special focus.
Thanks for all your special effort in communicating this whole saga with us.  :thumleft:

Ditto.  Although on my bike the sidestand switch was already gutted when I got it.

Offline Herms

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Gordon Shumway Karoo Boytjie
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2008, 10:08:21 am »
OK then, tonight we do the ignition switch and take some ohms measurements on the coil windings.

The measurements ought to tell us the condition of the windings......., must say, we are learning a lot.
When you pay R6k for riding pants......you are missing the point

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2008, 11:08:38 am »
That is what I noticed as well. Not one of them look out of place, but all of them look a bit dark, not what I would expect from these coils (thinking about what they do when saying that). I will try and find a place that is worthwhile. Just to clarify, the pickup coils, is that the bit that sits inside the housing, you can coincedentily just see it on the left bottom, right accross the screw? Or does the pickup coil sit somewhere else?

Hey thanks for all the help Sidetrack, I really appreciate this.

Mine had one or two coils that were clearly burnt as in almost charcoal like  ;D I'm not sure if it's normal for coils to get so dark, might be a heat issue. The experts maybe able to tell us. You did say when you unplugged the stator wires the bike ran fine (as long as the battery lasts on it's own) ? If that's the case it must be the stator that is faulty.

Mine :

« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 11:14:56 am by sidetrack »
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Help make the TSAT a reality
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=241580.msg4325284#msg4325284

Offline Inprogress

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Life's to short to be an adult!
    • Umfanjana Films
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2008, 12:00:13 pm »
I'm not riding it currently, but during my fault finding I saw that when unplugging the VR, it ran fine. But I noticed last night, that is why I asked how to measure just the stator, that with the VR unplugged, the stator is unplugged as well...DUH Inprogress. It is in a semi state of stripped. I thought this morning I might as well strip it down some more (just unbolting and screwing stuff, not engine stripping, although that is semi done as well with the stator out) and give it a good clean. I wanted to do it when I got the bike, just couldn't get round to it. Funny how one changes when the goal changes.

I did notice that all the coils look a bit dark to me. My infinite lack of knowledge does not mean to say that the dark coils means that it is busted. Will let you guys know what is happening.
If an idle mind is the devil's workshop, then a busy mind is God's canvas

Offline Herms

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Gordon Shumway Karoo Boytjie
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2008, 12:55:20 pm »
Nope, I think he unpluged the voltage regulator and took the bike for a spin, then it ran fine.

The electronic instrument panel(SPEEDO) remains on while the the engine losses power for that
brief moment. But the GPT RPM counter that uses the the coil lead as a pick up drops. So that tells me
electricity supply is still there(stator fine), but maybe the coil is on its way out or something affecting the coil.

But nou ja..... multimeter and unlimited supply of coffee,  we'll continue tonight.
When you pay R6k for riding pants......you are missing the point

Offline Inprogress

• Umfanjana Films
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2008, 09:44:41 pm »
Ok, so tomorrow I'm gonna take the following to get tested, I think at Ace Auto cause they are close to my job. But let me see where Postma & Postma is located   :book1: So Postma is also close. Ace is just up the street. Ace it is. Where was I..Oh...I'm taking the magneto coils, the pickup with the magneto (can't remove that unless you want to), the VR, and the spark coil.

I had a casualty though. In the process of taking the magneto coils of the casing, I damaged the gasket...lets not experience that exercise anytime soon.

I cleaned any seemingly important connections. I have checked the earth just short of removing it. Might still remove it since I just need to take the carb out...again...to get to the earth screw, unless there is another earth somewhere.

Even removed the neutral switch to check it. After all of this, when all turns out ok, I shall put it all back and if it still messes about riding, then I will be absolutely, most surely, positively perplexed and utterly flabbergasted. Then I shall have to get it to an expert to see if he can find the ghost in the machine.

Until we talk again, have fun.

Offline Inprogress

• Umfanjana Films
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2008, 08:46:01 am »
Ok, so, I had the spark coil and VR tested at ACE. By the way, Gary is his name right, ACE does not work on bikes anymore, and he needs the specs for the stator to know if anything is wrong. Postma can't test my stator nor do they know who can. Does anybody have a spare DRZ250 or RMZ250 magneto gasket laying around, I suffered a casualty due to being over careful when I removed my stator coils.   :xxbah: DAWG it was a mission to get that gasket off of the casting...jeepers I do not want to do that anytime soon.

Anyway, I'm sure the RMZ250 gasket is the same as the DRZ250, might go and have a look at Suzuki today. They don't have gaskets for either. They are ordering me two (@ R85 I thought 2 is better, since they will be here in 3 to 4 weeks). The only other thing I can check, oh Ace says the stator coils look fine, is the pick-up. Dirtyrocks at Thumper had a similar problem with his bike back in 2001, or sometime, and had the pick-up replaced and the bike ran better that ever. Does any of you know how to measure the pickup. Apparently the pickup needs to have a resistance, don't know what, but have a resistance. If none, like Dirtyrocks, its stuffed. Might play around with multi-meter.

So, if all checks out, I am just gonna put it all back and hope the messy ride is gone. If not, I can only swop parts (Ace mentioned the CDI, maybe) with another DRZ250 and see when the problem stops.

If I can't find a gasket by Wednesday, this problem finding excursion will morph into a bike cleaning exercise. Removing wheels, greasing nipples and then the bikes, cleaning aluminum, maybe some paint, I am repainting the tappet cover cause it started to flake.

Well, since money is tight, warped shortime on the cards, does anybody have some kit to pay forward? Tim of Hammerite white or grey. High heat silver/grey paint? Maybe offer to sandblast and paint my frame...no that's pushing it, sorry, got carried away.

However, I am taking my magneto casting to Suzuki to compare to the RMZ250, positive that the gaskets are interchangeable. Till I update you Dawgz again, have a good ride this weekend.

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2008, 09:10:51 pm »
RMZ gasket will never fit, they are worlds apart. You should get something like 100 -120 ohm resotance between the two pick up coil wires. If you battle for a gasket get some Yamabond on there.
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Inprogress

• Umfanjana Films
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2008, 10:20:08 pm »
I had to take a chance with the gaskets. But alas, my substituted reality does not change reality. Yamabond? Never heard of it, like most things the last couple of weeks. Will give it a go cause I think I will become desperate for riding. I did manage to measure the pick-up, but can't recall what it was. I was only looking to get a no-resistance reading because then my problems would be sorted, but there was a reading and I got sad again. Will check tomorrow what the reading is. Thanks yet again.

Offline Inprogress

• Umfanjana Films
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2008, 04:36:13 pm »
Ok, if I did this right and used the converter right, and understand the multi-meter right, AND I'm not measuring my body's resistance which will mean the same result, I get 500000 ohm. Yes, half a million ohm. I don't see any other means to get an output measure of just ohm. I'll take it to work and ask out electrician to measure it as well and give me a proper answer.

By the way, does it make a difference if it is measured whilst running in the bike as oppose to measuring it whilst it is removed completely from the bike?

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2008, 10:01:04 pm »
On the bike off the bike same difference as long as it's plugged out.
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Frank Warner

• Bike: BMW R80GS
    • http://www.geocities.com/fwarner_au/
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2008, 01:00:39 am »
5Mohms is too high. Yes I'm too lazy to type all those 0's. Get use to SI multipliers.

Battery votalges between 13 and 14 are fine with the engine running .. see www.batteryfaq.org for all you never needed to know about batteries .. does not cover motorcycle alternators though. Nor their rectifire/regulators.

Frank Warner - Austarlia
http://www.geocities.com/fwarner_au/

Offline Inprogress

• Umfanjana Films
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2008, 08:51:38 am »
Ok, so, I assembled my horse for two reasons last night: ONE, had to try out Loctite Gasket Shellac Sealer without using a gasket, works great, so far; TWO, maybe, just maybe, eventhough I knew otehrwise, the problems was gone by just the cleaning of all terminals. No, problem still there.

But I did take some notice on what happens. It rides fine, it starts fine, it idles fine, but when it gets warm, the engine heats up properly, the problem is back. I rode for about 15 minutes (in the rain, soaked suit) when the sputtering started to come back little by little. By the time I was riding uphill on a back road, it was REALLY sputtering and struggeling to go uphill. Level road, fine, with occasional sputter if I keep it at constant rpms. My thinking is, what Sidetrack mentioned right in the beginning, the pick-up coil. Now, how do I replace that thing without the stator? I can buy the pick-up for R3500 from Suzuki, and it includes a free stator coil already connected into, saving you the time. Or I can order just a DRZ400 pick-up from RMSTATOR in the US for $45. Get it here, do the math, cheaper. BUT, how do I wire that thing in considering that the wires are moulded into a rubber seal that sits in the side of the magneto cover?

Any ideas? BikeSA advertising for 2nd hand parts? Someone on the whole of SA that can help, for less than R3500? Of course, it might not even be the pick-up, but it makes sense to me. Thoughts Dawgz?