6500KM around Mzanzi on a 500EXC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy K

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
I tried the touring thing a few years ago and it never really stuck as I had a 990 and always felt it was a bit big for what I wanted to do so continued with my enduro racing on my plastic bikes. 8 years later the bug bit again and I decided to try again but this time on my preferred weapon of choice a KTM 500. I purchased one of the last remaining 2018 models out the box, added a long range tank, soft luggage and a rally screen. I had been needing some time away so set aside 3 weeks to head off on a journey with no real destination. I planned the first 4 days more or less with the help of Xpat as he had been this way before. I wanted to head north west but took my laptop along so I had the flexibility to change my route at any time. I never booked any accommodation as I didn't want the pressure of having to make any destinations on time, so basically I rode until I wanted to stop and then stayed over. Sometimes my scheduled stop wasn't what I expected so carried on till I hit a town worth staying in. It was one of the most amazing trips of my life and I got to see places and things I probably would never have dared to see in a car, the beauty of traveling on a motorcycle is that you can go at great speeds comfortably over rough terrain and cover greater distances than you could ever in a car or 4x4. I will post my experiences and photos in the next coming days.

Attachments

• IMG_1080.jpeg
    IMG_1080.jpeg
    140.4 KB · Views: 836
  • IMG_1081.jpeg
    IMG_1081.jpeg
    180.1 KB · Views: 842
  • IMG_1092.jpeg
    IMG_1092.jpeg
    151 KB · Views: 841
  • IMG_1067.jpeg
    IMG_1067.jpeg