Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: One year on a DR650SE  (Read 2620 times)

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
Re: One year on a DR650SE
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2008, 08:09:25 am »
Wish that Dawg from CT still had his, that was a nice machine. Think it was a 33 liter tank, Corbin seat, Pro-Tapers and raised, VaporTech. It was a true steal. He wanted to visit his brother in Ireland via Africa, but he became a father and had to abandon the trip and the bike....for the near future.

I have a brother in Ireland??!!
my love for Guinness makes a lot of sense all of a sudden ;D

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2008, 09:04:24 am »
Re the tanks:
You get:
Clarke 16l
IMS 19l
Acerbis 25l (This tank is designed for the older DR650RS. You have to modify the seat and make a mounting bracket. Not sure if still available)
Aqualine 33l Expensive!
Pick the one that suits your needs.

Re: Seat: Get a sheepskin rug. Doubles as bar stool upholstery or camping pillow - cheap. Get padded bicycle pants - cheaper.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline BliknÍrs

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • I never finish anyth
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2008, 09:32:33 pm »
Great thread this, thanks LeCap!

I've also had my 2000 DR650SE a year it is now on 27000km's so would also like add some stuff.

Cosmetics (for lack of a more suitable word)
The bike has been in almost daily use and do a lot of gravel, so it looks like shit, even under all the shit.
I did wash it once when I puked on it after a rugby match because the neighbours dog couldn't stop licking it and it last licked it's balls (I saw it).
That thing above the chain (on the frame near the front sprocket) broke off a long time ago - I saw the warnings too late. I have a hole in my frame which could hide a sizable stash.
The chain guard also broke off and hangs in the garage - it's flimsy plastic so useless.
Handlebars are bent and the weights is a bit droopy.
Front brake lever is broken from when the bike fell over.
Headlight is broken from a stone but fixed with silicone and still working.
I sometimes carry an Oxford tail pack and got in the habbit of getting on and off via the footpeg (get on the footped and then swing my leg over so it can clear the tailpack) - well this habbit had the unexpected result of bending my sidestand or something so it now hits the swingarm in the up position and to top it all I can't get the nut loose so I can fix it (hammer)

Mechanical
It's always started and never made any funny noises or gave me reason to think theres something wrong.
The bike has been leaking oil from the top somewhere since I bought it, must make a plan with that.
I serviced the bike on 20000 and 25000km's.
Checked valve clearances on 25000 no adjustment was necessary

Consumables
Fuel consumption has settled around 19 km/l so I get just under 200km's before I hit reserve.
During the 13000km's I've had it I finished off what was left of the rear Trailwing and 2 x KT966's rears.
The front is still a Trailwing, maybe the original I don't know it was on the bike when I bought it and looked stuffed even then.
I have had to replace the chain and sprockets on about 25000km's and recently some new brake pads.

Living with it
I've finally broken in the seat, so no more sheepskin/cycling shorts for me.
Longest trip was about 500km's in a day, it wasn't as much fun as I thought it would be but certainly do-able if you have to. Bike had no problems.

Plans
I would still like to add a bashplate (pushing my luck to far) and some nice bark busters.
Need a set of new tires soon.

Overall I sometimes wish for something a bit faster but that happens less and less.

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • What me worry?
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2008, 03:41:21 pm »
The DR makes me giggle when i ride it ,.,,,i can be so naughty on it jumping pavements ,going thru veld areas,  on my commute ..

one of the most fun bikes i have owned in my 30 years of biking ... it makes me smile beeg time
Born to lose, live to win!!

Ganjora

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2009, 05:20:05 am »
it seems like i've come full cirlce.   yesterday i went into suzuki in 4ways.   getting me a dr.   my sojourn with bmw is over.   the pig is too big.

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zundapp (all models)
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2009, 07:51:28 am »
it seems like i've come full cirlce.   yesterday i went into suzuki in 4ways.   getting me a dr.   my sojourn with bmw is over.   the pig is too big.

Glad to hear :thumleft:

I am very happy with the DR and I think that you too will find it a great dirt-orientated DS bike.

Offline GRIM

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2009, 09:59:57 am »

When is the DeWildt Baptism...
Alcohol is essentially natureís Leatt Brace Ė with it, you might not be able to move worth sh*t, but you can take a slam or two and be no worse for the wear.

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2009, 10:39:23 am »
Congratulations to the new bike!

BTW: You can get the Clarke tanks from Topbox ;D
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Umko

• Bike: Yamaha XT600
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2009, 09:26:59 pm »
Like Blinkners, I have to climb on my XT600e on the side stand because I am too old and slogged out to get my leg over my Ventura pack. I'm on the brink of getting a DR650 and will be very disappointed if this habit bends the sidestand!
Are you enormous, Blinkners, or is the stand much weaker than my XT's?
Incidentally, this put me off the KTM640 - the stand looked very flimsy.

Offline jenks

• just call me slim
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2009, 11:58:44 am »
Like Blinkners, I have to climb on my XT600e on the side stand

Umko

You know the dr can be lowered about four centimetres??

Makes a big difference for shorties.

I may be selling my 08 dr (eyeing greener pastures overseas) It's been babied and self serviced with love. I'm open to offers between 40 and 45K.

Will come with Airage exhaust, top box, rack and skidplate, lots of gear and some spares (including stocker tyres).

Has 8800 on the clock.

PM me if yer interested.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 12:05:53 pm by jenks »
dr650se "Honest Joe"

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2009, 01:31:50 pm »
Like Blinkners, I have to climb on my XT600e on the side stand

Umko

You know the dr can be lowered about four centimetres??

Makes a big difference for shorties.

I may be selling my 08 dr (eyeing greener pastures overseas) It's been babied and self serviced with love. I'm open to offers between 40 and 45K.

Will come with Airage exhaust, top box, rack and skidplate, lots of gear and some spares (including stocker tyres).

Has 8800 on the clock.

PM me if yer interested.

Jenks,

If you decide to sell the goodies seperately please give me first option :thumleft:

Offline Beserker

• Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Agito ergo sum
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2009, 04:39:06 pm »

....ut come at the price of a seat as comfortable as an ironing board.

Funny, had a spin on my mates DR a while back, and my first thought was: "OK...This is why everybody complains about the XR650R seat...this is so sofa-like"  :D
My Ride  :ricky:  Angola   Namibia  Northern Cape  Kids

Offline Macburn

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2009, 04:53:55 pm »
Any big guys out there own a DR? I'm 6 foot 5 (1.98m) and 130kg. My KLR is fine if I am alone (Ilike to ride slowly  ;D), buit how would the DR cope? Better? Worse?
REMEMBER - EVERYONE SEEMS NORMAL UNTIL YOU GET TO KNOW THEM.

Offline Umko

• Bike: Yamaha XT600
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2009, 08:47:45 pm »
Jenks, I'll remember you might want to sell if I decide to buy.
This thread has, actually, put me off the DR. My XT's been pretty unreliable so I thought I might get something similar but new. And then I see that the first thing it might do is rip the chain roller off and leave a hole in the frame!!
And there seems some doubt whether it can putt-putt up Sani Pass without slipping the clutch.
You have to wonder what goes through the minds of some of these bike designers. My XT600E had silly plastic "flaps" on the side of the tank that vibrate and break off at great expense. (Fixed with an Acerbis tank). And yet, the latest in the line of "famous Yamaha rugged adventure bikes", the XT660, not only has silly flaps but unprotected exhausts under the mill and protrudent plumbing that makes it look like a "Rhodesian boiler".

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2009, 07:56:38 am »
Any big guys out there own a DR? I'm 6 foot 5 (1.98m) and 130kg. My KLR is fine if I am alone (Ilike to ride slowly  ;D), buit how would the DR cope? Better? Worse?

I am 6 foot 1 and 128 kg's so pretty similiar. I had a 08KLR and now have a 08DR. Choosing which one is "better" depends on what your needs are.

I wanted something more off-road capable and in that sense the DR is the better choice. For touring the KLR is probably the better choice.

Offline Macburn

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2009, 08:43:10 am »

I am 6 foot 1 and 128 kg's so pretty similiar. I had a 08KLR and now have a 08DR. Choosing which one is "better" depends on what your needs are.

I wanted something more off-road capable and in that sense the DR is the better choice. For touring the KLR is probably the better choice.

I am not ready to change away from the KLR- I am just a little uninformed as to what bike does what and who it would suit. Just fishing for info for the day when I do decide to move on to something new. "Better" is subjective. The truth of the matter is I spend more time on tar than on gravel because I use my bike everyday as my main mode of transport. So perhaps the KLR is "better" for me. But I do like the potentially better off-road capabilities of the DR.
REMEMBER - EVERYONE SEEMS NORMAL UNTIL YOU GET TO KNOW THEM.