Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Exhaust options  (Read 757 times)

Offline DanieW

• Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
Exhaust options
« on: April 05, 2019, 09:48:09 pm »
Good evening everyone,

I am investigating exhausts for the 1290 SAR.

My first question: is there anyone on the forum that has a full system? Where did you buy it and, if willing to disclose, what was the cost?

My second question: what is the impact on warranty? Did you have to have a remapping done since the cat was out?

Where does one generally get exhausts these days, tips or full systems, for these bikes?

Thank you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Bells

Re: Exhaust options
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 10:00:47 am »
More Danie

I can only speak for the 1190R, decat breaches your warranty. Therefore, I put a slip-on on the bike. Only when the warranty expired did I have the section with cat cut out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Manic

• Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 10:14:11 am »
It depends on your dealer.

Akrapovic is the only approved exhaust according to KTM.

No remap is needed, the 1190 and 1290 can adjust by around 20% itself, so it will adjust the settings itself for your pipe.

Removing the CAT will make the heat a little bit better.

Again, its up to your Dealer. Our KTM will remove your CAT for you, and fit any slip on you want, and will still do warranty claims if there is any.

The Dealer is the one who will call KTM head office, and split on you for having a Leo Vince pipe on your bike. and then no warranty claim.

I fit Leo Vince on all my bikes, KTM and BMW. Its half the price of a Akrapovic, and it sounds twice as good. The KTM  approved exhaust sounds almost the same as the stock pipe, its no ways worth the R15k you will pay for it  >:D

A Leo Vince from Ebay, brandnew, will set you back around R7k delivered to your door. Then just let someone cut the CAT out for you.
1250 HP GSA
H2 Supercharged
990 SM

Online Roadhawg

• Technilube Oils and Greases
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2019, 10:16:38 am »
More Danie

I can only speak for the 1190R, decat breaches your warranty. Therefore, I put a slip-on on the bike. Only when the warranty expired did I have the section with cat cut out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends who you ask. RAD used to offer to do the decat for you on new bikes.

Having said that, for now I do t see the need. Thereís plenty power, I just wanted some more noise so stuck a stock Superduke can on. Sounds better than an Akra, can basically find them for free  :biggrin:

The only ďfull systemĒ I remember seeing was the Arrow one, but some folks had some quality complaints. I donít reckon itís worth the money and effort myself.

Offline Noneking

Exhaust options
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2019, 02:44:33 pm »
As is the case with most of these threads, Iíll obviously punt the one I have on my bike....

I imported the SC Project slip on directly from Italy. Looks the business, quality is on par with akrapovic and it is not as bulky as the akrapovic.

Compared to some of the other offerings, it just looks and sounds better. Priced between the akra and cheaper options. R11k delivered to my door.

Will do decat after warranty expires.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 02:45:43 pm by Noneking »
2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline Grunder

• "bery bery serious...
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2019, 05:39:02 pm »
I have the acropovic on my 800gs and I am very happy. But I must say, the next time I might consider Barker Exhausts. It seems they make quality exhausts for local prices. And everyone seems happy who bought one

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Muscles can't buy mad dog!

Online Roadhawg

• Technilube Oils and Greases
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2019, 07:11:46 pm »
As is the case with most of these threads, Iíll obviously punt the one I have on my bike....

I imported the SC Project slip on directly from Italy. Looks the business, quality is on par with akrapovic and it is not as bulky as the akrapovic.

Compared to some of the other offerings, it just looks and sounds better. Priced between the akra and cheaper options. R11k delivered to my door.

Will do decat after warranty expires.

Yeh, unless you get a great deal on the Akra, I donít reckon itís worth it, plus the constant worry of dinging it Offroad.  If it sounded like a 990 on twin Akras then itíd be a different story :biggrin: but stock Akra still sounds like a chainsaw.

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2019, 07:33:00 pm »
I had the Wings Shorty on my 1190 and moved it over to the 1290 when I bought it - It was about R9k - after 5.5 years it's still 100% and sounds great and weighs very little - it has three loudness 'settings' - two different inserts or 'naked' - I have it in the inbetween setting, with the large insert
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 07:34:04 pm by Bundu »

Offline DanieW

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2019, 09:12:01 pm »
So from what I can see...the best place to get a pipe is to import it yourself?

Any preferred sites?

Offline Noneking

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2019, 09:29:13 pm »

Any preferred sites?

Check the SC Project online store
2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Online Manic

• Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2019, 11:43:28 pm »
I have the acropovic on my 800gs and I am very happy. But I must say, the next time I might consider Barker Exhausts. It seems they make quality exhausts for local prices. And everyone seems happy who bought one

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

The 800GS Akra is awesome yes. But you cant compare it here.

The moment you buy the Akrapovic for the 1190/1290 and the GS 1200 bikes, they are the same size as the stock one, and they are still restricted, the Inserts are made not to be taken out, so the sound stays almost the same. You can get the Inserts out, but you need to take the exhaust apart.
Even on the Akrapovic website, they state there clearly, that the sound is still within the sound laws but it "flows" better....
1250 HP GSA
H2 Supercharged
990 SM

Online Manic

• Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2019, 11:53:38 pm »

Any preferred sites?

Ebay. You looking at about R600 Tax when it lands here. If you search on the pages, you will find some cheaper, sometimes with free shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Exhaust-Leovince-Nero-Stainless-Steel-Ktm-1290-Super-Adventure-R-S-T-2017-2019/401724583314?hash=item5d88a6ad92:g:7SgAAOSwWk5cgkwm&frcectupt=true
1250 HP GSA
H2 Supercharged
990 SM

Offline Noneking

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2019, 05:14:49 am »
Keep in mind that the titanium optioms like Akra and SC Project  are a bit more costly than say the Leo Vince which is made of stainless steel

Decide for yourself if the benefits of titanium justify the added cost.
2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

Online Manic

• Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2019, 08:33:35 am »
What the F does it make a difference if its Stainless or Titanium.
Average owner wont even know/see/feel the difference.
1250 HP GSA
H2 Supercharged
990 SM

Offline Noneking

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2019, 08:38:33 am »
What the F does it make a difference if its Stainless or Titanium.
Average owner wont even know/see/feel the difference.

Is dit vir jou ń touchy subject?
2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

Online Manic

• Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2019, 08:44:13 am »
Glad nie, maar Stainless vs Titanium het rerig fokkol met die gesprek uit te waai nie.
Wie wil nou meer betaal v Titanium as hy dieselfde job doen as stainless.

Of terwyl jy nou weet, verduidelik vir ons gou hoekom is Titanium die extra geld werd  :thumleft:
1250 HP GSA
H2 Supercharged
990 SM

Offline Noneking

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2019, 08:50:26 am »
Glad nie, maar Stainless vs Titanium het rerig fokkol met die gesprek uit te waai nie.
Wie wil nou meer betaal v Titanium as hy dieselfde job doen as stainless.

Of terwyl jy nou weet, verduidelik vir ons gou hoekom is Titanium die extra geld werd  :thumleft:

Dit het baie met die gesprek uit te waai omdat dit grootendeels vir prysverskil tussen sekere van die gewilde, kwaliteit sisteme verantwoordelik is. As jy weer lees sien jy dat ek sÍ dit is vir koper om te besluit of die ekstra koste vir hom sin maak. Ek persoonlik hou van klank en voorkoms van Titanium en dit is my grootste oorweging. Effense gewigsvoordeel wat Titanium dalk mag hÍ is nie na my mening rede om dit bo SS te kies nie
2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

Offline ianb

• Bike: BMW R80GS
  • BMW R80GS. KTM 790R
    • BLOMEYERS
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2019, 05:40:35 pm »
Have your standard exhaust silencer gutted and cut down. Sounds awesome cheaper and won't ding easy. Imo it looks better than a Akro. The Akro is still to long and big. And way over priced.

Offline DanieW

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2019, 08:58:30 am »
I had the Wings Shorty on my 1190 and moved it over to the 1290 when I bought it - It was about R9k - after 5.5 years it's still 100% and sounds great and weighs very little - it has three loudness 'settings' - two different inserts or 'naked' - I have it in the inbetween setting, with the large insert

any pics? :)

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2019, 09:17:19 am »

any pics? :)

only one I have with me at the moment