Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Op Die Berg - Rock thrown  (Read 1358 times)

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
Re: Op Die Berg - Rock thrown
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2019, 10:53:53 am »
A few weeks ago bumped into a German tourist in a Discovery at the copshop in Somerset West.

He was travelling with family between Stellies and Somerset West when he got pelted with rocks by kids.

He had two in the car WITH their mother.

Chased them down, rounded them up and took them to the charge office.

A boy and a girl of about 8 or 9.

Mammie staan rond met 'n bek sonne tanne.

I did not hang around to see what transpired.

Kids must have crapped themselves!

In 2009 we did Quads for Quads.  In KZN, near Weenen some kids pelted us with rocks.  The organiser went and spoke to the local chief who had previously given permission (money and stuff must have changed hands) for the quads to cross his land.  Man alive!  He had those kids rounded up and in 2009 in KZN in a Chieftain, the "no corporal punishment" law had not yet arrived!  He and two elders tanned some serious hide that day.   :lol8:
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2019, 11:10:47 am »
It is not a strange occurrence.  I tried to hit cars from the bus stop when I was small once, and my 6 year old managed to hit a bakkie with his kettie in Ais Ais once :eek7:. And you are talking about educated people! So less educated people might just do it more freely.
An interesting Australian study on why cyclists get hit by cars found that car drivers don't regard cyclists as people. Car drivers see cyclists as insects, and cyclists are more likely to get hit. So bikes are buzzing beetles, if I can use the same analogy:

Motorists who try to run cyclists off the road may be acting badly because they don't think the riders are completely human. ... The researchers chose the insect-to-human scale, they said, because of the number of popular slurs against cyclists that relate to insects.Mar 29, 2019
Why do drivers endanger cyclists? Because they see them as insects
https://www.timeslive.co.za/.../2019-03-29-why-do-drivers-endanger-cyclists-because-th...
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2019, 11:33:34 am »
It is not a strange occurrence.  I tried to hit cars from the bus stop when I was small once, and my 6 year old managed to hit a bakkie with his kettie in Ais Ais once :eek7:. And you are talking about educated people!

I plead guilty myself.   :-[
#33 #BRADICAL!