Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Lane Splitting  (Read 2262 times)

Offline Blikkies1

Re: Lane Splitting
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2019, 11:06:58 pm »
2T or 4T?

Offline Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
    • CFO Consult SA
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2019, 05:53:10 am »
Crazy.
Admitting to blocking faster traffic, reckless driving, and causing an accident.
And you believe you did nothing wrong.

The mind boggles.
And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

www.cfoconsult.co.za

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2019, 07:02:56 am »
Crazy.
Admitting to blocking faster traffic, reckless driving, and causing an accident.

The mind boggles.
Not so sure... (not knowing all about the exact circumstances of the incident) But if I'm riding in a reasonable way, and an impatient rider endangers my life because they cannot wait a minute or two for a safe option to materialise, then I might just have to let him know that I don't appreciate his dangerous behaviour. One option would be to blip the brake lights to tell them to back off.

Having said that, sometimes one does end up tailing a lane jogger, who just won't move at all. That requires sitting back, looking around and appreciating how wonderful it is to be riding a bike on a fine day...  ;D

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Airheads are an admirable addiction
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2019, 08:04:52 am »
Rule no.1 of riding in traffic:
Do NOT ride into the back of the vehicle in front of you.

This is clearly another example of the road rage that is so prevalent in ZA.
Both riders at fault.
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

I'm not deaf... I'm ignoring you.

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2019, 09:27:00 am »
I had just come back from Knysna and was on a fully loaded bike splitting through traffic on the M5 on my way home. There had not been any reasonable gaps for me to pull into to let some impatient dipstick past and I was doing between 20 and 30km/h more that the traffic which I feel is the fastest one should go. The dipstick started getting really impatient and came up right behind me hooting, revving and gesticulating so I briefly touched my brakes and he rode into the back of me. Luckily we both stayed on but this really got him angry and he rode up next to me between the two lanes of cars and tried to push me off. My bike was heavier and as he pushed my bags on the back I leaned into him and he hit the car on his left. I heard lots of swearing and breaking of plastic, mirrors fairings etc and saw him and the car he hooked pulling of to discuss his riding ability. I have had guys like this force me to pull over before and invariably catch up with them later on. All they do is scare and annoy car drivers and irritate the shit out of other bikers. Just remember itís not a race!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brake checking is extremely childish and dangerous, especially when on a bike.  Being hit from behind while on a bike is possibly the worst that can happen to a biker.  That said, I doubt any one of us can claim that we have never done so in the heat of the moment.  I must plead guilty myself. It should however be avoided at all cost. 

Once you and the other bike made contact, it was an accident and you left the scene of said accident.  You were also instrumental in creating a second accident and you also left the scene of that accident.  One can only hope that it does not come back to haunt you via someone who got your number, description, or worse dashcam footage.

I see in a later post you stated you are not proud of your actions.  That is a good thing.  Hopefully you have also realised that brake checking is a truly bad idea.  It is so much easier and less dangerous to just indicate to the guy that you have seen him and then move over when you get a safe opportunity.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 09:27:49 am by TheBear »
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Mrak

« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2019, 09:39:20 am »
I had indicated that I would pull over when there was a gap and he continued revving and hooting. I regret touching the brakes now, but if I had braked for something he would have hit me as well and probably much harder as I would of been braking to avoid a vehicle. I agree I was wrong to brake check, but it was in the heat of the moment. By the same token he should have not been so close to me and definitely not come up alongside me .

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2019, 10:03:47 am »
I had indicated that I would pull over when there was a gap and he continued revving and hooting. I regret touching the brakes now, but if I had braked for something he would have hit me as well and probably much harder as I would of been braking to avoid a vehicle. I agree I was wrong to brake check, but it was in the heat of the moment. By the same token he should have not been so close to me and definitely not come up alongside me .

I hear what you are saying and I am not faulting that. We are, after all just human, but I am just an old fart who rides and over the years I have learnt to concern myself with what I have control over only.  Yes, he shouldn't have done a few things, but you have no control over that.  You only have control over how you responded to him.  Basically, if there must be a crash, I would prefer that he is the cause, not me. 
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Mrak

« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2019, 10:06:01 am »
Youíre quite right there

Offline 2-Stroke

• Forum Vendor
  • Bike: Britten (all models)
  • The Bike Show
    • The Bike Show
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2019, 03:00:16 pm »
Things could have gone wrong, but right now, and hopefully for the rest of his life, that knobhead will reconsider his actions.

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2019, 11:54:25 am »
If someone rides so close to your arse and you merely touch the brake for the light to go on they plough into you that would wind me up no end. It is one thing to touch the brake for the light to go on another to slam on brakes.

If you are filtering waiting for a gap to open how are you supposed to still indicate for the guy behind you he must just be patient and keep an eye out for anything that can come out of nowhere in front of you?

Let's be honest if someone is going to push or try push you off the road for the majority of us on this forum I (we) would make sure not to go down and do whatever in any means to ensure that the idiot get what is coming to him.

Mrak I am sure you could of done a million other things rather and as we get older we asses and react different to confrontation, I would of most likely done the same thing short of stopping the moment the guy went into the back of me.
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Offline Grunder

« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2019, 01:16:39 pm »
The beauty of hindsight...

If this guy was so close to you that he hit you when you touched the brakes then this guy was looking for trouble.

Lane splitting is an art so to speak.  You constantly have to have your fingers in the leavers ready to react to something.

Most of the time you will touch the brakes to keep your speed in check. 

Yes you did it with a purpose this time, but it would have been the same end result if it was a normal reflex brake scenario.
"Its always your fault when you hit someone from behind"  :deal:
F800gs

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2019, 02:56:48 pm »
Crazy.

The mind boggles.

Yeah man, exactly, just pull into the lane if there is space and let the organ donor ride on past but when someone is riding right up your ass sometimes the best thing to do is just stick to your line and let them go around you..

:ricky: :ricky: :ricky:
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2019, 03:02:58 pm »
How many accidents I wonder, have been caused by people riding dangerously close to the person behind them?  :deal:
Succumb not to the erosion of those born of unconsecrated union.

"Two Wheels, an engine and a place to sit." What more do you need?

"They" say I confuse wanting to stay young with wanting things to stay as they were when I was young.

Offline Odd Dog

« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2019, 09:32:46 pm »
You have nothing to apologise for, an asshole was riding up your backside endangering you and you reacted the way you saw fit, if he wasn't so close and behaving like his time has priority over your time there wouldn't have been an incident, he caused the accident by not adhering to the legal following distance.
If You're going through hell, keep going.

The following users thanked this post: Fuzzy Muzzy, XTZFegen

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2019, 01:09:07 pm »
Things could have gone wrong, but right now, and hopefully for the rest of his life, that knobhead will reconsider his actions.

Chances are, that he didn't because, just as we see here, many of his buddies will support his actions.

You have nothing to apologise for, an asshole was riding up your backside endangering you and you reacted the way you saw fit, if he wasn't so close and behaving like his time has priority over your time there wouldn't have been an incident, he caused the accident by not adhering to the legal following distance.

While we may differ in who caused the accident, it seems clear that we are in agreement that there was an accident.  The OP therefore left the scene of an accident without stopping as the law requires.  Lots of laws broken all round .....
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 01:11:47 pm by TheBear »
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline blauth

« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2019, 07:04:29 am »
Those guys going fast are not brave, they are stupid!

They are still fast.
And that is much more fun than slow.

:biggrin:

That's where the phrase; "it was fun while it lasted" comes from.     :pot:

Offline katana

• I may be cheap, but I am not a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Born again 1/7/2020
« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2019, 07:33:15 am »
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 07:38:04 am by katana »
If you want to haul ass, you gotta mix gas.

Offline Sylvester

« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2019, 11:01:47 am »
Trying to overtake in a lanesplit...eish...daar is nie pille vir stupidgeit nie.
I consider myself a pessimist. I am therefore always right...eventually.

Offline XTZFegen

• Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • Audere Est Facere
« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2019, 10:47:34 am »

I agree...what more are you supposed to do? Guys sits in your arse and then rides up your backside when you brake...WTF? He pushes you off the road and because you stand your ground and he goes down now guys want to blame you...mmmm

I cant see what you did wrong and don't see why you feel bad.
Oh when the Spurs, go marching in, oh when the Spurs go marching in, oh Lord I want to be in that number, oh when the Spurs go marching in.

Come on you Spurs.

The following users thanked this post: katana