Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: KTM 1090 Adventure - Who's got one?  (Read 1389 times)

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
Re: KTM 1090 Adventure - Who's got one?
« Reply #80 on: June 14, 2019, 05:37:15 pm »
Thanks Hagen. Have you tried them in conjunction with an orange cover? I tried Phillips' Night Hawk?, the incandescent version previously and they did not work in conjunction with the orange covers. In fact, they did not work at all.
I will be fitting a set of 3000 lumen LED spots I had on my 800. They are brilliant and create the impression of something big coming.

Yes, I've got the Hyde orange cover that mounts with 3M dual locks - works well and together with my 30W LED spots, I'm very visible
Nice, post pic!

I'll take some pics tomorrow  :thumleft:

« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 04:45:07 pm by Bundu »

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #81 on: June 18, 2019, 09:39:56 am »
Thanks Hagen. Those spots are good. I still have a pair running on a bike. I like the mounting point - out of harm's way.
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #82 on: June 19, 2019, 10:23:00 am »
Thanks Touratech! Now I can install together with the BoosterPlug.
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #83 on: June 20, 2019, 12:30:20 pm »
I went to KTM Cape Town this morning for a mirror and software update. Tom helped me, and I am forever thankful.
As opposed to the old diagnostic system where you could select the make and model, the new diagnostic system identifies the specific bike and VIN no and updates the central KTM database in Austria. This database logs all faults from all bikes over the world, and software engineers are writing new updates as we speak. There were two updates available for the 1090 - Engine and Braking system. The diagnostic tool starts with flushing the old software, and the latest updates are loaded after a prompt.
The differences are subtle, but huge at the same time. The important thing to know is that this is still a KTM - it likes over 3000rpm. Previously I struggled riding under 3000, but now the engine is much more forgiving. Now one can actually drop below the 3000rpm mark in higher rpm. Full throttle is still not advisable here, but one can apply modest throttle under 3000rpm and get away with it. It makes for a much more relaxing riding style, and you can still nail it when needed.
I am forever thankful to KTM and Tom☺

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #84 on: June 20, 2019, 06:32:40 pm »
have you checked your bikes recalls and service history here?  https://www.ktm.com/za/service/safety-check/

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #85 on: June 24, 2019, 05:46:24 pm »
This weekend I fitted spots, a Unifilter and BoosterPlug (while one is there, just do the lot!).

I did not expect a lot from the BoosterPlug but was pleasantly surprised.
Once the tank is off fitment is a cinch.
1. Remove the cable from the AIT sensor on the air box cover
2. Plug in the BoosterPlug into the AIT sensor and
3. the other end into the cable that came out,
4. Run the BoosterPlug sensor to the front of the bike - mine lies in the channel above the lhs indicator.

Make tidy and close up. I hid the BoosterPlug inside the frame - out of harm's way.

Like I say, I didn't expect too much. This is a KTM 1090 and it likes above 3000 rpm.
What the BoosterPlug did do is to change the character of the bike just a bit. What I didn't like previously was its nervous nature. It is almost as if it is highly strung. Touch the throttle and it jumps. Go under 3000 and it baulks, chain chattering away. Don't ride in 6th under 100km/h. This highly strung nature is good when you are racing (Ready to Race!), but what if you want to ride normally, or lane split?

What the plug did was to make the bike grow up. Gone is that twitchy, nervous nature. Suddenly it is more secure, adult, assured. It still goes like clappers and might even go better in the lower half of the rpm range, with more oomph from 3000rpm on - almost if the slight flat spot is gone. 
What surprised me most is what the BoosterPlug did with the bike at lower rpm. Previously one could feel the ignition of every cylinder, then nothing, then the firing of the other cylinder and so on.  Now the engine feels more like a river flowing, smoother, with a more even progression from one ignition explosion to the next.
Now one can ride in 6th where only 5th was previously possible, without the feeling that the motor is labouring or the chain clapping.
The bike is much more forgiving when dropping below 3000rpm.
Pulling away at 2000rpm and shifting early into 2nd and 3rd is without effort. I don't have to worry about what the bike is going to do - I can just ride. Also, I don't have to check the dash to know to gear down should the engine go below 3000 rpm. It now forgives you, and you can either ride it there, or gear down one without the anxious feeling about what pistons or chain will be doing once you overstep the line.
Now the 1090 still goes extremely well, but it is just much more assured, confident of itself, knowing what it is and what it can produce.
I am sure that it will make a huge difference on the dirt and during technical riding where you don't always want to rev high or check the tachymeter.

PS. I only tested in Sports mode - it will be interesting to see what it does in street and offroad mode, but I am sure it will be more of the same.

Like I said, BoosterPlug made my 1090 Adventure R grow up. This is a bike I can now ride confidently. I am duly impressed.

Offline hiltonph

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • :( BAD COMPANY :(
« Reply #86 on: June 25, 2019, 07:08:27 am »
This weekend I fitted spots, a Unifilter and BoosterPlug (while one is there, just do the lot!).

I did not expect a lot from the BoosterPlug but was pleasantly surprised.
Once the tank is off fitment is a cinch.
1. Remove the cable from the AIT sensor on the air box cover
2. Plug in the BoosterPlug into the AIT sensor and
3. the other end into the cable that came out,
4. Run the BoosterPlug sensor to the front of the bike - mine lies in the channel above the lhs indicator.

Make tidy and close up. I hid the BoosterPlug inside the frame - out of harm's way.

Like I say, I didn't expect too much. This is a KTM 1090 and it likes above 3000 rpm.
What the BoosterPlug did do is to change the character of the bike just a bit. What I didn't like previously was its nervous nature. It is almost as if it is highly strung. Touch the throttle and it jumps. Go under 3000 and it baulks, chain chattering away. Don't ride in 6th under 100km/h. This highly strung nature is good when you are racing (Ready to Race!), but what if you want to ride normally, or lane split?

What the plug did was to make the bike grow up. Gone is that twitchy, nervous nature. Suddenly it is more secure, adult, assured. It still goes like clappers and might even go better in the lower half of the rpm range, with more oomph from 3000rpm on - almost if the slight flat spot is gone. 
What surprised me most is what the BoosterPlug did with the bike at lower rpm. Previously one could feel the ignition of every cylinder, then nothing, then the firing of the other cylinder and so on.  Now the engine feels more like a river flowing, smoother, with a more even progression from one ignition explosion to the next.
Now one can ride in 6th where only 5th was previously possible, without the feeling that the motor is labouring or the chain clapping.
The bike is much more forgiving when dropping below 3000rpm.
Pulling away at 2000rpm and shifting early into 2nd and 3rd is without effort. I don't have to worry about what the bike is going to do - I can just ride. Also, I don't have to check the dash to know to gear down should the engine go below 3000 rpm. It now forgives you, and you can either ride it there, or gear down one without the anxious feeling about what pistons or chain will be doing once you overstep the line.
Now the 1090 still goes extremely well, but it is just much more assured, confident of itself, knowing what it is and what it can produce.
I am sure that it will make a huge difference on the dirt and during technical riding where you don't always want to rev high or check the tachymeter.

PS. I only tested in Sports mode - it will be interesting to see what it does in street and offroad mode, but I am sure it will be more of the same.

Like I said, BoosterPlug made my 1090 Adventure R grow up. This is a bike I can now ride confidently. I am duly impressed.

Dont like to say things like i told you so but...... I did say it. Awesome product and well explained even beter than I could ever. You'll find it even better off road in technical sections. It just crawls over rocks and through ditches without much effort. With this being said i do have 45 rear and a 17 front sprockets fitted. Dont have to use the clutch so much when going slow. Great review!!
Ride it like you stole it... Wait What????

Kawasaki KLR650 / Honda varadero xl 1000v/ BMW r1100s / Aprilia Caponord etv 1000 / KTM 1190 ADV R

The following users thanked this post: Jacobsroodt

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #87 on: August 08, 2019, 07:09:14 am »
Honeymoon is almost over....

you did proper mileage over the weekend, care to give a 1090 review?
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #88 on: August 12, 2019, 12:17:05 pm »
Honeymoon is almost over....

you did proper mileage over the weekend, care to give a 1090 review?
Will do.
After 3500km the rear TKC80 has 3mm of its original 10mm wear left.  Did anyone say that the 1090 goes through rear tyres quickly? :peepwall: