Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: KTM 690 ENDURO SUSPENSION  (Read 546 times)

Offline AlanDoyle

• Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Certified Motorcycle Mechanic
KTM 690 ENDURO SUSPENSION
« on: June 10, 2019, 02:48:15 pm »
I bought my KTM 690 ENDURO 2009 second hand from a guy here in Eastern Cape, he complained about the harsh suspension too. The 690 has a major flaw in the setup of the suspension and can only be rectified by having the suspension revalved, there is no other way. The springs are correct for the bike, and my weight, (80kg) so no changes needed there. I stripped, rebuilt and modified mine and it makes such a big difference. I am so much much happier with my bike now. Nice and supple on the big and small bumps, like it should be.  :biggrin:

« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 07:43:28 am by AlanDoyle »

Offline Gee S

Re: KTM 690 ENDURO SUSPENSION HARSH, need I say more.............
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 03:45:47 pm »
You have PM
All that wander are not lost

Offline MechanicalCamel

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • 2 humps are better than 1
More details?. What valves did you go with?

Offline AlanDoyle

Happy to report, comfortable ride through Baviaanskloof on the weekend, bike is so pleasant to ride now.

Valving has to be done by a qualified person, don't try tackle it if you don't know what you are doing. I am a qualified motorcycle mechanic and have extensive experience and knowledge in this regard from racing off road bikes for over 30 years. I would suggest you get a qualified suspension fundi to sort it out for you.

Offline Thumper Dumper

Happy to report, comfortable ride through Baviaanskloof on the weekend, bike is so pleasant to ride now.

Valving has to be done by a qualified person, don't try tackle it if you don't know what you are doing. I am a qualified motorcycle mechanic and have extensive experience and knowledge in this regard from racing off road bikes for over 30 years. I would suggest you get a qualified suspension fundi to sort it out for you.
So in other words, you not going to tell us what you used we must just take it to a suspension fundi?

Offline AlanDoyle

As above, imagine someone gets badly hurt or worse, crippled or killed because they tried to do their own suspension and did not get it right. I would not like that on my watch. Sure you would feel the same way if you were in my shoes. Suspension is a critical component on a motorcycle and can be lethal. 
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 07:40:18 am by AlanDoyle »

Offline Beesboer

Nice cop-out!  :imaposer: We are all irresponsible on this site and will sue anyone that is giving telling us what they were up to even if they were not telling or training us what to do
Elsie = BMW 1200GSA LC
Springkaan = KTM 690R Enduro
Plastic = KTM 525 EXC

Offline AlanDoyle

:imaposer: Yes, that's what I'm afraid of LOL  :imaposer:

Offline BuRP

Are we allowed to replace our oil?
I mean, I've seen huge oilslicks already, very dangerous indeed..
Or change the countersprocket?
If you do not seat the locking washer properly it can come off, and locking up your rear wheel then is a real possibility.
Let me not even touch exchanging the handlebars if you do that without using a torque wrench, Russian Roulette springs to mind!
Spoked wheels you must send overseas for repairs, of course you have to, can't take a chance.

Erm, that's a bit condescending don't you think AlanDoyle?
There's many an oke present here who will take their bike up to the last screw apart and put all back properly again, shocks and stanchions included.
If you just would mention what you've done to your bike, say changing a few shims or put a certain-length spacer on top of the springs, then those reading here can decided for themselves if they a) will also want this done, and b) will decide to tackle this themselves or ask the neighbour to do it.... after all Chris Lessing will have two neighbours!  ;)

So, what did you do to address the bits you were unhappy with?
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro, KTM 790 Adv R, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2016 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally ordered

Offline Thumper Dumper

As above, imagine someone gets badly hurt or worse, crippled or killed because they tried to do their own suspension and did not get it right. I would not like that on my watch. Sure you would feel the same way if you were in my shoes. Suspension is a critical component on a motorcycle and can be lethal.
Seriously, why even post that you have sorted out your suspension if you not willing to share. Is it just to share with us that you are super skilled.
I notice a previous post of yours about grinding away on the throttle, you better hope some fool doesn't cut his finger off with a grinder.

Offline AlanDoyle

I'm sharing that you need to have your suspension fixed by revalving it, and that it needs to be done by a qualified person.  :)

Offline AlanDoyle

Hi Guys, go to the new post I just shared all the info is there.  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 10:54:17 am by AlanDoyle »

Offline AlanDoyle

Re: KTM 690 ENDURO SUSPENSION
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2019, 07:42:32 am »
Moved to this heading:         KTM 690 HARSH SUSPENSION FIX - THIS IS HOW I FIXED MINE

Offline BuRP

Re: KTM 690 ENDURO SUSPENSION
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2019, 10:32:42 am »
Alan,

great to post that thus giving info, as I think I said it's what forums are for  :thumleft:
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro, KTM 790 Adv R, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2016 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally ordered