Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: KTM 990 Adventure R vs KTM 790 Adventure R the battle for dirt supremacy  (Read 10772 times)

Online dirtWarp

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • I crash like a champ!
Ek was verbaas om te sien hoeveel 990's te koop staan op die forum.
En teen goeie pryse ook!

Dis nou tyd om te koop.

Hier in Europa lyk dit my is die manne minder tasbaar vir bemarking truuks, die 990's hou hul waarde baie goed-jy betaal maklik 8000 vir 'n 990S

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Offline 171steve

Objectively I recognize that the  new bikes are better by most measurable metrics.

Yes the 990 is a bitch to service, yes it had many flaws (undersprung front, clutch slave cylinder, starter sprag, gear indicator 0-ring, oil pressure sensor, acrobatic coolant change procedure, chain adjuster seizing, splash protector grinding the swing-arm etc. etc.) but learning to fix all this has made me a much better and competent adventure rider and mechanic (cue BMW rider jokes about how you need to be a mechanic to own a 990).

There seems to be a distinct lack of "character" for me in the new bikes.  They are implements, a means to an end, as opposed to a partner.  I could easily spend quality time, beer in hand, just admiring the lines and shapes on the 990.  Every scratch has a story and a memory behind it.

I think I can safely say I will never, ever love a bike as much as I do my 2007 990S.  No ABS, No traction control, No electronic suspension, no bullshit.  Just pure, visceral, screaming-in-your-helmet riding pleasure.

Very very true

Offline Noneking

• Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
KTM 990 Adventure R vs KTM 790 Adventure R the battle for dirt supremacy
« Reply #102 on: June 23, 2019, 04:56:51 pm »
As with most threads of this nature, it just ends up as guys posting why their current bike is the best (Myself included).

Good to read all the opinions.

Only bike I ever got attached to was my HP2. Never felt like that about a bike again
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 05:08:12 pm by Noneking »

Offline Noneking

• Gentleman Dog
I don't watch a lot of TV, but drive my family bonkers with the amount of biking channels I follow on Youtube >:D

I quite enjoy Nerb's Youtube Channel. He is a gnarly adv rider and I'm sure his review will be an objective one. Looking forward to the rest of the videos

Offline Noneking

• Gentleman Dog
Jeff Mawston's post after first ride on the 790 R:

Well, finally got to go out on this machine today. What a machine it is. The 990R has always been a great bike and taken me to a lot of places. But look out, it's time to really kick it up a notch. I didn't want to get off it. Some people have been saying, "it's a game changer" and "it'll add 10 years to my riding". We'll spot on I reckon. The electronics package (rally mode unreal), the suspension, the way it tracks through single track, very impressive. I could keep rattling on about it but you really need to ride one to know what all the hype is about.

Offline Roadhawg

I can understand the appeal of  "the 990 wants to try kill you" and I agree after owning a 990 road bike.

But sometimes you do just want to ride to work or the shops and not have the fear of death in you haha.  The electronics are quite cool at those times.

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Grey hound
I don't get this "990 wants to kill you"
what are you comparing it to? The time I have spend on them I haven't found the power particularly impressive
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline Noneking

• Gentleman Dog
what are you comparing it to? The time I have spend on them I haven't found the power particularly impressive

Was also wondering about that........ hence one of my previous comments that it feels like a tractor compared to 790/1090/1290.
My 1090 tried to kill me often, so I know what it feels like  :ricky:

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Grey hound

Was also wondering about that........ hence one of my previous comments that it feels like a tractor compared to 790/1090/1290.

I went two teeth up on the rear sprocket and raced a 2012 990.
Was an easy easy win, in offroad mode.

The 990 has a great(ish) suspension and awesome ground clearance, other than that its just another bike.

Offline Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
    • CFO Consult SA

The 990 has a great(ish) suspension and awesome ground clearance, other than that its just another bike.

Infidel!

But then, you also ride a Harley, so cannot be taken seriously.

:biggrin:
And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

www.cfoconsult.co.za

Offline Roadhawg

Its not so much the total power but how direct it came in. Mine was very twitchy.

Offline Noneking

• Gentleman Dog

Its not so much the total power but how direct it came in. Mine was very twitchy.

Switch off all the rider aids on your 1290, you'll soon know who wants to kill who..... :ricky:

Offline Roadhawg

Switch off all the rider aids on your 1290, you'll soon know who wants to kill who..... :ricky:

Yeah but even then it's not as twitchy as the 990 was.  It's more linear.   Once the 990 was over like 4k rpm it felt like the power was just instant everywhere.    But having said that I have a lot of respect for the 1290 with the aids off.

Offline KaTooMatt

Yeah but even then it's not as twitchy as the 990 was.  It's more linear.   Once the 990 was over like 4k rpm it felt like the power was just instant everywhere.    But having said that I have a lot of respect for the 1290 with the aids off.
That was the early 990's. Later they fixed this by remapping the throttle. The first ones were either on or off. Later they were programmed to be more linear on the throttle.
"These are not machines for the meek. Ride it like you stole it, cane it within an inch of its life. It will require a bunch of maintenance and generally tend to be, shall we say, harsh? It was bred for racing, after all. It will devour rear tires and its lust for fuel will astound you. It will suffer indifference and carelessness very poorly. Like heroin and Asian girls, it's not for everybody, but when you absolutely, positively, GOTS to beat every m*****f****** in the race, accept no substitu

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Grey hound

Infidel!

But then, you also ride a Harley, so cannot be taken seriously.

:biggrin:

Ouch

well on that....Philip on his early model 950 smoked that 1200 sportster of mine solid. I was not expecting that.

Offline Fransw

The older we get the faster it was!(the 990).. :lol8:

Offline Roxtar

• REV IT UP
  • Race Dog
  • Aka Sprocket Face
Yes all (OK most) new bikes are better just because of development and engineering progress. The 990 has earned its position in the Adventure Hall of Fame no doubt about it.... :thumleft:

The 790 sounds awesome (being KTM no doubt it is), but I cannot see myself now trading the 990 for a 790, to me the visual has to stir emotion, and looking at the 790 I get the same sensation as looking at a GS... f'ol.... :lol8:
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 03:34:14 pm by Roxtar »
Long live the Underdog.........

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
One must also look at heritage, the 990 comes off a Dakar big bike winning spree, and was thus built with high speed "touring" in mind, where the 790 package has doubtlessly been tuned

around much more of a quick handling package, from the videos I have watched.

Where the 790 lags way behind is in Dakar titles. :pot:

But, if the 790 was not a significant improvement on the 990, the engineers at KTM should be fired.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 03:49:08 pm by 2StrokeDan »

Online dirtWarp

• Race Dog
  • I crash like a champ!
There's an undeniable legend status that gets attached to endurance race winners.

Dakar: XT500, BMW R80, KTM660, 690 and 950
Baja: KX500, XR600R , 650R Crf450x.

When the 790 gets replaced by another model tomorrow, nobody will really notice.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 10:57:27 pm by dirtWarp »

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Grey hound
There's an undeniable legend status that gets attached to endurance race winners.

Dakar: XT500, BMW R80, KTM660, 690 and 950
Baja: KX500, XR600R , 650R Crf450x.

When the 790 gets replaced by another model tomorrow, nobody will really notice.

This depends on how old you are

I don't even know what the R80 looks like or what the 660 won in its time (Dakar it seems, but didn't know that).

So then the next question is what age bracket is/should be actually buying the 790....