Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: KTM 990 Adventure R vs KTM 790 Adventure R the battle for dirt supremacy  (Read 10775 times)

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
Like all fine specimens ..................... the undressing is half the fun  >:D
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
Like all fine specimens ..................... the undressing is half the fun  >:D

Always look on the bright side of life!! :imaposer: :imaposer:

Online dirtWarp

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • I crash like a champ!
Panels is a pain but access to the rear head is worse.

@blauth: im speaking rally bike here, not dirtbike or softcock DS targeted at millenials.
Ignoring the dakar/rally setups of today and a decade ago, I'd agree with you.
Fact is that the 990 rally had 300mm travel, not 240mm because "it will handle better" . Same goes for the current generation rally bikes.

If both were available new, I'd buy the 790, but with mixed feelings as stated before :)

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 08:12:23 pm by dirtWarp »

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond

@blauth: im speaking rally bike here, not dirtbike or softcock DS targeted at millenials.
Fact is that the 990 rally had 300mm travel, not 240mm because "it will handle better" . Same goes for the current generation rally bikes.

If both were available new, I'd buy the 790, but with mixed feelings as stated before :)

I agree, as far as big adventure bikes go, the 990 was ahead of it's time.

And funny how that only really gets apparent now, when it is seen fit to compare it head-on with models of 2 decades younger.

Pity that the majority slothed their lives away onboard the SS GS1200. :peepwall:

Offline BuRP

Pity that the majority slothed their lives away onboard the SS GS1200.

I feel the same.
The 800 is way better offroad and is actually capable to ride sand, but I also sold that one fairly quick for it lacks sporty genes.
KTM has been knocking on BM's door for a while now, and the current advent of the 790 may just set the scale properly tipping for them.
This may bring more riders on a bike that dives when braking, crucial feedback when one is learning to ride - taken away by a telelever & electronics on which many riders inadvertently lean heavily without knowing it!

Mind though, in Europe there's little dirtroads left, most GS's never see it let alone ride on it.... and then it aint a bad bike, especially the 1250 now has a peach of a motor: eager grunt low down, it actually feels a bit sporty.
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kreidler RS (plated), Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro 2018, KTM 790 Adv R 2019, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally 2020

Offline BuRP

I've often said that, but usually get taken out on here as SUSPENSION TRAVEL IS EVERYTHING!

Well now Noneking,

you're vindicated and proven correct by KTM themselves, with the release of the 790 Rally.
30mm more front & rear!  :P
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kreidler RS (plated), Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro 2018, KTM 790 Adv R 2019, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally 2020

Offline blauth

@dirtWarp, problem is, this discussion is about the KTM990 and KTM790, neither of which are Rally bikes. I'm not trying to be argumentative but your assertion that "it will handle better" is only relevant in a purely extreme offroad scenario which realistically is not the true objective of these bikes and on average, will only be the case maybe 20% of the time if you're lucky. Neither the 990 or 790 will handle better on the road with 300mm suspension travel.

What may be of interest to you however is the great KTM450 Rally for sale now on the for sale thread.

Online dirtWarp

• Race Dog
  • I crash like a champ!
Road handling seems to be more important to you than hitting g-outs at speed is, to me. (and perhaps most people nowadays)

Because of that and the direct lineage the 990 has to a full-on rally bike, which in my book is super cool, is what I based my assessment on.

Some were harping on about the 20kg weight difference, which I liked to address, coupled with the less than stellar aforementioned review.

In summary, the 790 might be mission accomplished by ktm as its more suitable for a much bigger crowd than the 990 but that doesn't mean that it's also better at everything.

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Top Biscuit!
The 790 probably isn't better at everything, but so far, the 990 is not better at anything.

AND, this is in an age where the modern bike is not allowed to be a real bike anymore, apparently. So far, it seems KTM have done very well with this 790. And if it doesn't have any stupid, self-made faults, so much the better.

The 990 cannot be the best bike forever .................. and now it's not.

Online dirtWarp

• Race Dog
  • I crash like a champ!
The 790 probably isn't better at everything, but so far, the 990 is not better at anything.

AND, this is in an age where the modern bike is not allowed to be a real bike anymore, apparently. So far, it seems KTM have done very well with this 790. And if it doesn't have any stupid, self-made faults, so much the better.

The 990 cannot be the best bike forever .................. and now it's not.
Well stated.
The second hand market will see a welcomed addition to the ranks and until that time, the cheaply priced 990 remains the best option for cheapskates like me.
;)

Offline blauth

Road handling seems to be more important to you than hitting g-outs at speed is, to me. (and perhaps most people nowadays)

Because of that and the direct lineage the 990 has to a full-on rally bike, which in my book is super cool, is what I based my assessment on.

Some were harping on about the 20kg weight difference, which I liked to address, coupled with the less than stellar aforementioned review.

In summary, the 790 might be mission accomplished by ktm as its more suitable for a much bigger crowd than the 990 but that doesn't mean that it's also better at everything.

Nope, being realistic is important to me but different strokes for different folks.

I know that when I buy a KTM300 or KX250, I can do G-outs until the cows come home on the MX track or enduro route, in a safer and more competitive environment. As much as I like my adventure bikes to be great offroad, riding bikes for 30 year (primarily offroad by the way, much in the lines of enduro racing), I've come to realize that there are horses for courses. Fit for purpose if you will and being an adventure bike, I'm guessing it's gonna need to get me to that distant place for the adventure....probably on the road (or on the back of a trailer but that's not how I role). I don't judge bikes based on paper because paper says one thing, the riding experience is almost always a completely different experience and I for one would take quality suspension with less travel over mediocre suspension with lots of travel any day of the week. The multitude of reviews about this 790, ALL rave about the suspension but they must all be wrong because it's only got 240mm. Defend you 300mm 990 as much as you want....it's still gonna be outgunned by the newer kid on the block.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond

The harsh reality is that on a high-powered D/S bike you cannot afford not to have good on-tar handling anymore, as roadspeed capabilities of these monsters are high.

The more the travel, the worse your roadhandling becomes, as suspension starts wallowing and the rider gets thrown off and he, being a millenial usually :pot:, blames the manufacturer.

Online dirtWarp

• Race Dog
  • I crash like a champ!

Nope, being realistic is important to me but different strokes for different folks.

I know that when I buy a KTM300 or KX250, I can do G-outs until the cows come home on the MX track or enduro route, in a safer and more competitive environment. As much as I like my adventure bikes to be great offroad, riding bikes for 30 year (primarily offroad by the way, much in the lines of enduro racing), I've come to realize that there are horses for courses. Fit for purpose if you will and being an adventure bike, I'm guessing it's gonna need to get me to that distant place for the adventure....probably on the road (or on the back of a trailer but that's not how I role). I don't judge bikes based on paper because paper says one thing, the riding experience is almost always a completely different experience and I for one would take quality suspension with less travel over mediocre suspension with lots of travel any day of the week. The multitude of reviews about this 790, ALL rave about the suspension but they must all be wrong because it's only got 240mm. Defend you 300mm 990 as much as you want....it's still gonna be outgunned by the newer kid on the block.
Yes I'm from the unrealistic side.
The type that used 450's for 1000km DS trips.

For me, a 300mm travel rally bike as commuter makes perfect sense ;)

Offline Noneking

• Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
One of the better reviews I've seen on Youtube

This guy can ride! owns a 950, rode the Merzouga Rally and also KTM Ultimate Race in Merzouga

Just to give you an idea of his riding

« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 05:40:19 pm by Noneking »

Online dirtWarp

• Race Dog
  • I crash like a champ!
Nice pace.
He bottomed it at 4:50 but recovered well.

Nice video.

Offline Noneking

• Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
Nice pace.
He bottomed it at 4:50 but recovered well.

Nice video.

One of his written comments below the video:

The main times it bottomed were going over some of the more awkward water bars, since I wasn't getting the back end down quite enough. It's quite well balanced; both the front and rear would just touch the bottom on flat landings. Nothing like the old 950/990 adventures where the front would bottom easily and the rear was really too stiff most of the time.

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Top Biscuit!
Watched the show ...................... was good ..................... both bike's came across quite well ............ which was lekker.

But, watching that, I reckon Kamanya would kick Dylan's butt on a 990 - even in JHB.

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Top Biscuit!
But then, after that, they had a pizza delivery bike race .................... which was funny.

So, I guess the show is a bit more tongue-in-cheek than I thought ..................................  :biggrin:

The following users thanked this post: 2-Stroke

Offline Sabre

No, the 990 is actually very easy to service, once you've spent the 3 hours removing the fairing panels. :pot:

Like a road superbike.
Ditto for replacing the spark plug on a KLR
"Riding a motorcycle is technology's closest equivalent to being a cowboy. Our modern horse has two wheels instead of four, but it's nervous system is appropriately rated in horsepower" Robert Edison Fulton jr. From his book "One Man Caravan"

Kawasaki 650 Klein Land Rover
BMW 1150 Groot Seun

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
No, the 990 is actually very easy to service, once you've spent the 3 hours removing the fairing panels. :pot:

Like a road superbike.
Ditto for replacing the spark plug on a KLR

Every 100 000 kays? :pot: