Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Ben10 - Fuel range needed for a 3 day solo trip  (Read 266 times)

Offline Skeltonsc

Ben10 - Fuel range needed for a 3 day solo trip
« on: June 19, 2019, 03:25:12 pm »
Howzit Guys,

I'm planning to do the Ben10 over 3 days early next year however I don't know the area at all and am wondering how much extra fuel if any I will need.

My main budget will be spent on getting the little KLE ready and new MX boots, tyres, chain, sprockets etc so will be looking for cheap accommodation camp sites etc.

I'm planning to do this trip as cheaply as possible with regards to Camping etc but have no idea of the the routes or availability of fuel.

So if anyone has a route for the Ben 10 that I can import into basecamp/ mapsource I would really appreciate that.

Also my bike can do around 200km between full up's not using reserve, and from what I understand Rhodes has no fuel.

I'm was looking at those proper fuel tanks but this will be a once off trip and probably better to look at fuel bladders as these can be used later in the boat or other bikes? and yes I have thought about coke bottles and old oil containers  :deal: and yes they would probably work but........ if I fall in the middle of nowhere I don't want to lose fuel cause a fire etc as I will be alone on this trip.

Offline Grunder

• "bery bery serious...
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
Re: Ben10 - Fuel range needed for a 3 day solo trip
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 03:33:11 pm »
@Noneking did the trip recently

Muscles can't buy mad dog!

The following users thanked this post: Skeltonsc

Offline Skeltonsc

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 03:37:41 pm »
Thanx I see the guys who did it in a day mentioned 650km but I certainly dont plan on doing this in a day and I will need to camp somewhere

Online Noneking

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 03:53:06 pm »
@Noneking did the trip recently

I would recommend that you plan your route based on your fuel range. The route we did recently would be an issue with 200km fuel range. Maybe look at guys that did it on small bikes with similar range?
2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline RobLH

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 04:18:54 pm »
You can get fuel in Rhodes, we got it from a woman who lived at the first house on the right as you enter town from Naude’s Nel. Cost was R22 per liter in May.

Best is to pre-arrange with her.

The following users thanked this post: Skeltonsc, Grappa

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 04:39:41 pm »
My KTM 520 only has an 8.5l tank, with an extra 2l coke bottle in my back pack I managed fine.

200km range is more than enough.
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?

Offline Skeltonsc

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 04:41:56 pm »
What kind of range do I need? as this will decide how much extra fuel do I need?

am thinking either 5l rotopax tank or dessert fox bladder, I'm leaning towards the desert fox due to the ease of fitment to the bike :deal: but I dont think I will need an additional 12 litres of fuel and the guys who have done this route should be able to help me on this one.

my bike is not heavy on petrol and on my commute I hit 20km/l on my KLE500 but this is not loaded. so I'm going to work on 180 to 200km before hitting reserve thats 12 litres of fuel with 3 in reserve.

Offline Skeltonsc

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2019, 04:42:54 pm »
My KTM 520 only has an 8.5l tank, with an extra 2l coke bottle in my back pack I managed fine.

200km range is more than enough.

Thanks that makes my day  :thumleft: do you prehaps have the route you followed?

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?