Annual 1150GS Bash in Botswana and then some

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seank

Pack Dog
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
Annually the R1100GS/R1150GS owners groups gets together and this year we are going to be visiting Botswana. I have always wanted to got to Botswana by motorcycle, and I guess this year is the chance. I then started thinking that while I am in the neighbourhood, I should ride back via Namibia, originally, I thought maybe I should ride via Maun and then through to Namibia via Gobabis and down, the ride didn't seem that inspiring. That got my brain thinking. How about, after the Bash, I ride from Kanye, to Gobabis, then across to Swakopmund and then down. That sounds like a lot more fun, adds 1700km to the trip, certainly is more interesting then just riding up and then down.

This is my planned route:
Day 1 - CPT to Kimberly - 940km (maybe to Maselsfontein/ Douglas - confluence of Orange & Vaal River 900km) - Tar - camp on the banks of the Orange river
- Fuel along the route no problems

Day 2 - Kimberly - Kanye - 476km (Maselsontein to Kanye 600km) - Tar - Lodge
- Overnight Day 2 & 3 @ Kanye - Lodge

Day 4 - Kanye - Gobabis - 818km - Tar - Lodge / Camp
- Fuel along route:​
- Kanye to Jwaneng (124),​
- Mabutsane (124),​
- Kang Ultra Stop (120),
- what fuel if any is in between?​
- Tshootsha (414), Gobabis (207)​

Day 5 - Gobabis - Swakopmund via Khomashochland - 542km (always wanted to go look at Liebig house entrigued me since I was a kid, Neuheusis) - Tar then Dirt - Lodge
- Fuel along route, carry extra for Khomashochland to Swakop section

Day 6 - Swakopmund to Sesriem - 346km (Sossusvlei - need to find a campsite always busy in this area maybe Neuhof Campsite 50km) - Dirt - Camp

Day 7 - Sesriem - Oranjemund - 627km Dirt then tar - to mouth of the orange river - Lodge / Camp
- Fuel along, Maltahohe (115km), Helmeringshausen (141), Aus (109), Rosh Pinah (169), Oranjemund (103)

Day 8 - Oranjemund to CPT -Tar

I haven't driven the trans-kalahari highway since it was opened, I am kind of not very concerted regarding fuel on the Trans-Kalahari highway and would assume that their is always fuel at the stations. Anyone experiences anything different to that, the GS has 360km range and then I carry extra 6 liters good for another 100km. Other thing that I want to do differently, other then the usual photos is to video the entire trip then upload it to Youtube when done. Much easier to show what things look like then then explain photos.

Attachments

• 1693934027167.png
    1693934027167.png
    257 KB · Views: 0