Botswana- it isn't as good as Xpat says

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McKracken

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Husqvarna (all models)
Rewind about 6 months ago. I’m standing outside Craig’s in Maitland, on the phone to Hardy from Specialized Adventures- He’s just told me that the trip I was hoping to join him for is not going to happen… I’ve just paid for some parts for my newish to me Husky 501. It’s a deflating conversation, as my work as a Marine Engineer takes me away from home for 3 months at a time, and this is the only time that I could co-ordinate the work/leave pattern with Hardy.
Two weeks later I have registered as a student at CPUT to further my career and not going to Northern Namibia turns out to be a blessing in disguise, as I have exams during over tour that didn’t happen.
Another few weeks on and I am on a plane to Valencia to board a ship; the MV Cap Jackson. Before leaving I bought a second-hand Giant Loop Coyote, changed the oil and filters in the husky, with an idea that when I get home, I’ll do something…

My time at sea was tough, with any down time taken up by my studies. Whenever I had a sim card I’d check WD (it was blocked for some reason on our ship’s connection) and in April, while sitting at my desk, textbooks surrounding me and my brain scrambled with my efforts to beat some information into it, I spy a new ride report. It begins: “Simpson desert is probably the most iconic dual sport ride in Australia, crossing the biggest parallel sand dunes desert in the world - at least that is what my google-fu says. Depending on track the ride is about 550 to 700 km long…”
[member=9492]Xpat[/member]  had been to south western Botswana and found a playpen about 200 km across. I read the report in one sitting, and again the next day. The seed was planted, and I started thinking, promptly set off the fire alarms with the white smoke coming from my ears.

Now the whole idea behind joining Hardy was to get to know the bike, and the N. Namibia area with the comfort of support, and then once I had a better idea of what is important start doing solo trips.
How hard can it be? I wondered at night aboard my ship… By signoff date the seed had rooted firmly and had a leaf or two already. I was going to go and see for myself what this Kalahari edition of the Simpson Desert was all about.
The 2 weeks before my exams were taken up mostly by studies although I did a fair bit of work on the husky- new 45 tooth rear sprocket, new master link and a spare, and chain guide. New Motoz mountain hybrid rear and 2 sets of rear indicators. (The Husky seems to eat them every ride). I also made some rope loops to attach my luggage and bought an [member=7804]Amsterdam[/member]  custom heat shield (a silicon drying mat from checkers). As I was doing the final additions, I had a 2-day long search and rescue effort with sea rescue, then some nasty weather and suddenly the start of the trip was delayed by a week.

Attachments

• 20190516_150253.jpg
    20190516_150253.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 825
  • 20190511_150901.jpg
    20190511_150901.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 816