Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 1190 tire question  (Read 262 times)

Online NEON DEON

1190 tire question
« on: August 20, 2019, 03:32:47 pm »
 I am due for a new set of tire on my 1190 , last set fitted was Metzeler tourance , and I got around the 15k kilos on them , not bad as most of the riding was two up with top box and panniers touring . Only gripe I have is on dirt they suck , or I suck , not sure .
Last long weekend we rode up to Magoebas kloof via Dullstroom and Sabie , wet weekend , encountered bad mist on long-tom pass. Part of our plan was to stop at Hobbs hollow for lunch , on turning off the main road onto the dirt , the front tire washed a bit , scary moment , but I managed to save the day. On our way home , dry tarmac , we made a pit-stop a Toeka just outside Bela Bela , parking lot is a gravel , patch , again the front felt loose , no grip . makes the ass bite the seat and So bitch as she get a skrik thinking we going to kiss mother earth .
Most of my riding is tar , but dont want to have the bad feeling when one has to ride a bit of dirt. So do i take the knock on mileage and fit Karoo 3s ? or maybe the Pirelli MTR? something a bit more nobly ? Personally I am keen to take a chance on a set of nobbies

Offline Roadhawg

• Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    • Technilube Oils and Greases
Re: 1190 tire question
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 03:36:57 pm »
I've heard good thing about those Pirelli STR jobs otherwise the older MT90s.  They're very decent on Tar and I did a Lesotho trip on them with minimal issues.  Anything is gonna suck in mud though.

Offline Rexc-w

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 05:32:30 pm »
Deon I only use the 50/50 type tyres on my 1190.
Fronts I've had. Tkc80 x1, Mitas E10 x 2, Pirelli STR x 1. I have a Karoo 3 waiting in garage when current E10 is finished. The best one on tar I would vote for Pirelli STR.

Rears I have used TKC80 x 2, Mitas E10 Dakar x 2, Mitas E07+ Dakar x 1, Pirelli STR x 1 and Pirelli MT90 x 1.  I've used one Metz Tourance and will never use any of those kind of tyres on a dirt trip. Not because they are slippery, just because they are too soft to carry weight on rough dirt. It buggered up my first dirt trip in Eastern Transvaal with the soft carcas tyre.

From my experience I would suggest a set of Pirelli STRs. They are the best in my view on wet and dry tar,  and pretty good on dirt. They wear pretty good and give fair mileage.
The only reason I prefer the Mitas E07+/E10 Dakar tyres is because of the strength. I carry luggage and pillion on all my trips and want maximum puncture resistance.

When the roads are wet - don't do silly things.
Oh and don't look for something that works good in mud. It will be a long search.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 05:43:10 pm by Rexc-w »
Rex
(KTM 1190 Adv R - 2013, KTM 300 XCW - 2016, Specialized Epic S-Works)

Offline quicksilver

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • RRRRRRRRR........
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 03:21:21 pm »
Deon, the Pirelli STR front is great tyre for gravel\tar combination. I have a Mitas E07 rear which provides great mileage for back tyre...and also not bad for gravel and tar.

Offline Mzee

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Bikes: DL 650 Suzuki; Honda 250 Suzuki 125; Vespa
    • Mzee-Jaki
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 04:12:07 pm »
Is the Pirelli STR a new tyre on the market?  Forgive my ignorance. :lol8:
Life is kind to those who afford it kindness

XT1200Z Super Tenere

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2019, 04:20:16 pm »

Fairly new.  They used to have the Pirelli Scorpion Rally or something, kinda looked like the Shinko 805 with big deep blocks.  The STR is the "Street" version of that so the same pattern just shallower tread really

Rally:

STR:

Offline hiltonph

• :( BAD COMPANY :(
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2019, 04:35:28 pm »

Fairly new.  They used to have the Pirelli Scorpion Rally or something, kinda looked like the Shinko 805 with big deep blocks.  The STR is the "Street" version of that so the same pattern just shallower tread really

Rally:

STR:

Not to throw a spanner in the works but have any of you tried the anlas capra x. My feeling on them are the front is great on tar and fantastic on  gravel. Its got a strong carcas and a 190kph speed rating. Front last long rear not so much. With them you can still keep up with the superbikes in the twisties and have plenty of grip and know exactly where your traction is on the dirt.  I will def fit another set as i am loving these tyres. I do more gravel than tar but you have to do stretches to connect the gravel sometimes. I had the str on the rear and it does give more mileage than the anlas. Its great on the gravel too. it would make a great combo fitting a anlas front and str rear. just my 2c.
Ride it like you stole it... Wait What????

Kawasaki KLR650 / Honda varadero xl 1000v/ BMW r1100s / Aprilia Caponord etv 1000 / KTM 1190 ADV R

Online NEON DEON

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2019, 07:38:40 am »
My only concern is life on the rear tire , from product revue , the STR has a life of around 6000 ks , did 15 odd on the tourances , and they about R500.00 more expensive . I was/am very happy with the Tourance , They just not suited for offroad at all , more a road tire , would say closer to 80/20 . My major concern is  when turning onto a dirt stretch driveway and the front has no traction and it feels you are going to see your ass. Now if I have to give up tire life for stabilty , then I have no choice but to fit a more off road tire with good road manners , and here I think the Karoo3 is what I will fit , also last around the 6000 ks but slightly better price .

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2019, 08:31:41 am »
My only concern is life on the rear tire , from product revue , the STR has a life of around 6000 ks , did 15 odd on the tourances , and they about R500.00 more expensive . I was/am very happy with the Tourance , They just not suited for offroad at all , more a road tire , would say closer to 80/20 . My major concern is  when turning onto a dirt stretch driveway and the front has no traction and it feels you are going to see your ass. Now if I have to give up tire life for stabilty , then I have no choice but to fit a more off road tire with good road manners , and here I think the Karoo3 is what I will fit , also last around the 6000 ks but slightly better price .

A Karoo 3 is going to last much less than a STR, and is much more offroad focussed than the pirelli as well. They are notoriously soft. I'm pretty sure I could kill one in 2000kms, if not less. Karoo 3 is much like the TKC80 in terms of longevity on these big bikes.

Offline Pheiffer.M

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2019, 10:23:35 am »
Ek het die karoo 3 agter, nog nie eers 2000km gedoen nie en die tire is klaar.  Dit is die 3de karoo band wat ek opgesit het, ek kry gladnie kilo's nie. 

Offline KTMjedi

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Cleared for take off
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2019, 10:48:05 am »
Try the E-07 front and rear as this will give you most of the on-road performance you looking for and they are miles better off road!

Online NEON DEON

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2019, 05:58:02 am »
Any review/ thoughts on the new Bridgestone AX41 ? ITS A 60/40 tire , may be wort a shot ?

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2019, 07:22:05 am »
seems like you are happy with your rear so why change?
Its normal to fit a more offroad focussed front vs the rear, so seems like you have a solid answer on that as well, STR front and metz rear.

you cant expect 10k km from an offroad rear, eg the Karroo 3. You will struggle to see 5k km on it, don't know who told you 6k km. Same with the Anlas Capra X same as all knobbly rears. (I love the Anlas BTW, cheap and solid, cant do 220kmph though....)

remember the more aggressive you go the bigger the chances of struggling with headshake's and such.
also, a front generally gives good mileage, a 50 50 front (don't get eo7 front, imho) should give the same mileage as a 20 80 road biased rear like what I think that metzeler is
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

The following users thanked this post: NEON DEON

Offline Rexc-w

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2019, 08:37:03 am »
Any review/ thoughts on the new Bridgestone AX41 ? ITS A 60/40 tire , may be wort a shot ?

They look quite lekker.  Give them a try and let us know.
Rex
(KTM 1190 Adv R - 2013, KTM 300 XCW - 2016, Specialized Epic S-Works)

Online NEON DEON

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2019, 10:40:54 am »
Thanks to its impeccable wet performance combined with the excellent characteristics on dry surfaces both on asphalt and off-road, the Milanese brand won the comparative tyre test of the prestigious German magazine
The Pirelli SCORPION™ Rally won the comparative enduro on/off road tyre test organised by the authoritative magazine Motorrad, declaring them the best tyres in this popular segment.

In issue 12/2019, the German magazine compared the Pirelli SCORPION™ Rally with Metzeler KAROO™ 3, Michelin Anakee Wild, Bridgestone AX 41, Continental TKC 80, and Mitas E-07+. All tyres, in the 120/70-19 front and 170/60-17 rear sizes, were tested by equipping six BMW R 1250 GSmotorcycles.

The test was carried out in Sardinia, with departure and return to Olbia, on a five-day route that included country roads, dirt and off-road tracks.
The comparative test was divided into four parts: the ride on asphalt, the off-road use, the wet test and tyre wear. A score was assigned to each part, based on the individual parameters evaluated.
As for the test on asphalt, criteria such as handling, steering precision, cornering stability, cornering grip, traction in acceleration, stability at full load, braking reaction, behaviour in ‘limit’ conditions, noise and stopping distance at 100 kms/h were all taken into consideration.
In off-road use, in addition to handling, parameters such as grip on dirt, grip on mud, ‘holding a line’ and braking behaviour were evaluated.
During the wet test, carried out in the Bridgestone test circuit near Rome, handling, steering precision, cornering grip, traction in acceleration, behaviour in extreme conditions and braking capacity were assessed. The last point was assessed on the basis of results obtained in terms of stopping distance at 100 kms/h, speed in the Omega section and lap time.
Finally, a score was also assigned for the wear of the front and rear tyres.

Pirelli SCORPION ™ Rally was therefore declared the winner thanks to its first-in-class wet performance combined with the excellent characteristics demonstrated on dry surfaces both on asphalt and off-road. In the final standings, the tyre achieved 387 points, out of a total of 500 available, confirming itself as the best product in its segment.

Below are the final standings:

1) Pirelli SCORPION™ Rally - score 387/500
2) Metzeler KAROO™ 3 - score 383/500
3) Bridgestone AX 41 - score 380/500
4) Continental TKC 80 - score 380/500
5) Mitas E-07+ - score 364/500
6) Michelin Anakee Wild - score 358/500

The editorial staff of Motorrad commented on the result obtained by the Pirelli SCORPION™ Rally: “Its balanced performance undoubtedly makes it the best enduro on/off tyre of this test. It demonstrated brilliant performance on the road combined with good off-road behaviour and first-in-class results on wet asphalt".

Online NEON DEON

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2019, 10:43:10 am »
From all the info , seems I am going to try a set of Pirelli STR . As the saying goes its only money and when the tires are shot we will fit another set .  :imaposer:

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2019, 02:02:37 pm »
Not much in the top 4
buy the cheapest....
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2019, 02:03:33 pm »
Not much in the top 4
buy the cheapest....

Seems like Bike Tyre Warehouse is having a special on Karoo 3 for R1999 for a SET on the R sizes!! seems too good to be true.