Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: *** Sorted *** Advice for a new Lady Rider...?  (Read 2876 times)

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S3354.712 E01828.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
Re: Advice for a new Lady Rider...?
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2019, 08:55:38 am »
the Honda CRF 250L ticks a LOT of boxes, it will commute, it will do gravel, it does not feel top-heavy, and - importantly - if she commutes and say parks out of the sun under an afdakkie/carport, backing a 250 up is RELATIVELY easy, with a 650, not so much.

That little 250 will run and run, just may benefit a handlebar-mounted screen.

(and most of the ladies who visit us - w - are most-often on 250L and GS 650 TWIN or newer 700GS TWIN,, a good few X Country's, and a fair number of older NC700's and now NC 750's...)
not all of them will ride gravel as well, some are pure commuters.

Cheers
Chris

DYLAN 021 510 6455        bike@flyingbrick.co.za  
NICKY 021 510 6455            service@flyingbrick.co.za JAN 021 510 6455             web@flyingbrick.co.za
BEN 021 510 6455           sales@flyingbrick.co.za 
WERNER 021 510 6455   orders@flyingbrick.co.za
WHATS APP:                    067 278 1893

The following users thanked this post: Goose

Offline stcomza

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda CTX200
  • Bazinga!
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2019, 08:59:45 am »

My suggestions would be:
 - Go out a find a couple of bikes that a) she likes and b) recommended to her.
 - Extend the test rides to include commuting, highway, and gravel. Riding around the block won't cut it.
 - Weigh up the pro's and con's of each bike and make an informed decision from there.

At the end of the day, SHE needs to be comfortable with the bike as SHE will be riding it. I've been through this with SWAMBO. She wanted a light bike and when stationary wanted both feet flat on the ground.  I suggested a DS bike (Honda XR and the like) but she settled on a road bike (CBR 125R).
She is very happy  :biggrin:
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound...

Wynand Steyn

Offline DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ChrisL .. aka...Chris Louw
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2019, 09:20:40 am »
Jughead - so far she really likes the G650 ...... but I cannot give her advice on the bike as I've no experience with that model.

The XCountry 650 is a great ladies bike. Weight of a 250 and power of a 650. They are however not that low. at 1.67 Coco would be on her toes. My wife is 1.78 and she was spoton flatfoot on the XCountry. Great bikes find one she can sit on and feel the weight and height.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 09:36:14 am by ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS »
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Mev Vis Arend

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2019, 09:34:31 am »

My suggestions would be:
 - Go out a find a couple of bikes that a) she likes and b) recommended to her.
 - Extend the test rides to include commuting, highway, and gravel. Riding around the block won't cut it.
 - Weigh up the pro's and con's of each bike and make an informed decision from there.

At the end of the day, SHE needs to be comfortable with the bike as SHE will be riding it. I've been through this with SWAMBO. She wanted a light bike and when stationary wanted both feet flat on the ground.  I suggested a DS bike (Honda XR and the like) but she settled on a road bike (CBR 125R).
She is very happy  :biggrin:

You basically took the words out of my mouth.  I only enjoy riding now that I have a bike (Honda CRF250L) that was adjusted for my height.  I had a bike before which I could ride, but could not stop as I often fell over because the bike was to high for me.  I just had enough of falling and sold my bike.  I was a pillion for many years.  Although I enjoyed being a pillion, I missed many years of riding because of the wrong bike choice. 
Honda XR250 - Given to daughter.  BMW 1200 GSA met Karretjie  -  Suzuki 125 Scoota with a KTM topbox - sold.  Honda CRF 250 L

The following users thanked this post: stcomza

Offline Fransw

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2019, 09:36:22 am »
I know this is worn out old story but a 650 is a big bike for experienced riders.

Back in the 70's/80's only the toughest meanest riders dared riding a 28hp XT500 or XR500.
Today we recommend a 40hp 180kg bike to a learner girl. - CRAZY
To turn a bike on gravel at any cruising speed you have to be able to slide the bike and to get the confidence to to that you must not be intimidated by the machine. She'll be able to ride the big bike, but like 90% of adventure riders that's as far as she'll get and the chances of actually mastering bike riding are slim.

An XT250 is about the best choice at the moment and an ideal tourer for years to come. Honda 250 is also a good call if she has longer legs.

I've seen so many lady riders come and go, often because of poor bike choice.

Agree!  The XT250 is awesome. You will never want to sell it!..(and you can ride around the world with it if you want..)

Offline FrancoisTz

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2019, 09:43:34 am »
My wife is also short and rides a G650GS, perfect bike and easy to handle.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank amongst those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.

Offline Goose

• NAPIER Country life is great!
  • Shop Mods
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2019, 09:57:14 am »
Great amount of advice chaps & ladies....

My gut feel - would have been to get hold of a Honda 250 Tornado (if you can find one) or as I'm really a Yammie lover - an XT250 ...........  Chris (Flying Brick) and I have discussed this very issue in the past - wrt the smaller bikes being undersold as adventure bikes.
The older F650GS is also a great bike (recently sold my spare one for only R26k) and had a spare low seat as well.........

At the end of the day - Coco needs to "try before she buys" ................  I'm hoping there's a way that some of the WD's could assist her with options (without taking our own brand preferences into too much consideration :peepwall:)

Maybe she can visit Flying Brick and Chris could also advise and point her in a direction.......... better still would be if we can loan/rent a smaller bike for her to take a ride with to see how and what her preferences are....  :sip:
"Life is a Waste of Time..... Time is a Waste of Life........ Get Wasted all the Time and have the Time of your Life"  ()

Offline Minxy

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2019, 10:11:34 am »
Well it all depends on what she wants to do. Just commute with occasional easy adventure ride or does she want to go do some serious adv riding eventually? She could also buy a small bike first, then sell it later when she is comfy and get something bigger that can handle long distances easier.

I started adv riding on a bigger bike, Aprilia Pegaso Trail 650 (which is a wonderful beginners/commuters bike by the way), but I had ridden a little Honda 125 road bike when I was still in school which gave me a strong foundation. Even though I went over very quickly to a 950 Super Enduro after the 650 (being tall helps) :P , the learning curve was still pretty steep when it came to doing more difficult riding. Eventually I did do a lot of technical riding on the 950, but it felt like I learned the most when I got a second bike, a 450. Technical skills are easier to learn when on a small, light, forgiving bike and also then much easier transferred to the bigger bike.

So in short. If she plans on just doing the easy going stuff and commuting (which most of us do especially in the beginning), a lighter 650 could work. (I always advise ladies to stay clear of GS 650 as first bike as the thing is hugely heavy 190kg, that is 10kg HEAVIER than my KTM 950SE  :o and not as offroad capable :peepwall: ...). If you like the bike, good for you, but I've seen too many hubbies buy the 650GS for their wives as they thought it would go along nicely with their own 1200s, only to have the ladies quit riding soon after they hit the first sand patch and have a bad time.

Good choices for 650 class bike for ladies I'd say are:

BMW G 650 X Country (155kg wet) A very manageable bike especially for shorter ladies.
Suzuki DR 650 (165kg wet)
KTM 640 (154kg dry) Can be lowered, incredible offroad and easy to handle.
KTM 690/Husky 701 (146 dry) This bike can be lowered and is also fantastic offroad! There was an older model 690 that was already a bit lower than the standard, can't remember which exactly.
BMW G 650 X Challenge (156kg wet)
Aprilia Pegaso Trail or Yamaha XT 660 (same motor and both at 170kg dry),

If she wants to do more challenging adv riding I'd say something like the Honda 250 Tornado/Rally/CRF or even the Honda 450L could work. DR 400 also springs to mind. BMW G450X could also work, as long as you remove the pluggie to switch it to 250 mode. There are actually plenty of lovely smaller bikes out there, just not that many of them will make for great commuters unfortunately.

Anyway, get her to ride them all and see what she likes best :D We all have different needs and tastes and she needs to find what will work for her. Always try before you buy!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 10:13:09 am by Minxy »
*              ★.`.★   "I'm in love with a strict machine"  ★.`.★               *
www.facebook.com/barbara.muszynski/ Hit follow!
Current: KTM 950SE, Husqvarna 701, KTM 500, Honda LS 125 Previous: Honda Africa Twin CRF 1000 DCT, KTM 950 SE, KTM 950 Adv, Aprilia 650 Pegaso Trail, BMW G450X, Husqvarna 350FE, KTM 690RFR
Ride Reports:
Xmas Xtreme - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=233018.0 Hearts in the Desert -  http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=241236.0

The following users thanked this post: stcomza

Offline LRFan

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2019, 10:16:13 am »
Goose she can come and test drive both my DR250 and DR650, which are lowered to get a feel for them.
 My wife lover her DR650, but the weight remains issue to keep uptight if she looses her footing.
Regards.

Offline BuRP

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2019, 10:22:46 am »
Weight & height are most important when starting out, not so much the power as that's easiest controlled.
She best has to test a few a see what she likes - and 'liking' has to be learned as well, it simply is experience.
Let her ride a few if not many, and let her decide from there.
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kreidler RS (plated), Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro 2018, KTM 790 Adv R 2019, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally 2020, KTM 890 Adv R Rally 2021

Offline Yami Super 10

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • 1200 Super 10
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2019, 10:29:22 am »
Goose, I was in the market a year ago for a bike for my wife (Worth-It) She spent two days going to all the bike shops in and around CP.
She arrived late Saterday at BMW CPT where there was a GS700. It was lowered and fitted my "shorty" wife perfectly.

Before she opted to take to the road and not wanting to pillion with me, she was actively racing Ladies Intro @WCOC on a CRF230. Which taught her the basics and especially, lots of sand and dirt.

So far, year later she is enjoying her 700GS and we have done quite a few long trip.
Just a month ago we went to Ladismith (Koedoeskloof) and then back roads to Oudshoorn and Knysna.

Dont think a single is a good allrounder, its a bit to much for the long strips. Even taking a single to Langebaan or from CPT to Struisbaai is ringing the shit out of it.
Geduld
Is n stadige manier om jou moer te strip!
Bikes: 2010 & 2019 ST1200
          2014 660XT

Offline Yami Super 10

• Race Dog
  • 1200 Super 10
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2019, 10:35:22 am »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Geduld
          2014 660XT

Offline Fransw

« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2019, 10:39:55 am »
@Goose try to steer her away from the commuting idea. Look at the xt250/crf250 type. Safer to stay of the road as much as possible, especially for an inexperience rider..

Be the right influence! :thumleft:

Offline hugh101

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2019, 10:57:28 am »
My Girlfriend ride a CTX 200, she never rode a bike before
I have changed the sprockets added heated grips and a screen
She commutes with it every day between Stellenbosch and Somerset West
The 200-250 class inspires confidence in a new rider onroad and offroad
I would recommend the 650 class as an upgrade once rider is more confident and skilled
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 10:58:14 am by hugh101 »
"a wise man has money in his head but not in his heart"-Johnathan Swift
Bmw 1150 GSA
Bmw  RnineT
Honda CTX 200 bushlander "bosbulletjie" sold
F 650 gs

Offline Herklaas

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • Do it, you only live twice.
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2019, 11:09:33 am »
@Goose try to steer her away from the commuting idea. Look at the xt250/crf250 type. Safer to stay of the road as much as possible, especially for an inexperience rider..

:sip: That, I fully agree with, just too many cars, and too many cars with stupid people at the steering wheel. It takes a long time to become experienced for a new rider.
You need to be sort of an aggressive rider to survive commuting.  :3some:
Yamaha 50, Yamaha 400, 2 x Yamaha DR 350 LC, Honda CBX 550 F2, Honda TransAlp 650, Triumph Tiger 800 Xc,
Now 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 Xcx.and.. my favorite... 1996 Yamaha Tenere 660 5 valve single.And, the latest 1989 Yamaha Super Tenere 750.

Offline Goose

• NAPIER Country life is great!
  • Shop Mods
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2019, 11:29:43 am »

YOU CANNOT BE MORE right...... when she mentioned "commuting" ...I had the pucker-factor right away.... nee bliksem........... hence me introducing her here to WD's ...........  :3some:

"Life is a Waste of Time..... Time is a Waste of Life........ Get Wasted all the Time and have the Time of your Life"  ()

Offline sidetrack

• Keep it real, keep it a single
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2019, 11:54:10 am »
Get a 250, stick to as much dirt as possible and smell the flowers. She will have a ball. You dont need any bigger unless she wants to go on 700 plus km trips with long tar sections
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Offroadrider

« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2019, 01:05:02 pm »
Advice for a lady rider
1) Don't date someone riding a KTM, most cone riders ride a cone to make up for their small bit's.
2) Don'r date a GS rider, they spend more time looking at themselves in the mirror to check if their twat suits look the part
3) Date a guy who rides a Jap bike, due to their bikes never breaking down they will always be on time for date night and to top it off they have  spend a lot less on maintenance and stupid farkles so have money to spend on the lady.

Offline Yami Super 10

• Race Dog
  • 1200 Super 10
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2019, 01:06:58 pm »
Advice for a lady rider
1) Don't date someone riding a KTM, most cone riders ride a cone to make up for their small bit's.
2) Don'r date a GS rider, they spend more time looking at themselves in the mirror to check if their twat suits look the part
3) Date a guy who rides a Jap bike, due to their bikes never breaking down they will always be on time for date night and to top it off they have  spend a lot less on maintenance and stupid farkles so have money to spend on the lady.

Give the man some Bells :thumleft: :pot: :ricky:
Geduld
          2014 660XT

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2019, 01:32:55 pm »

:sip: That, I fully agree with, just too many cars, and too many cars with stupid people at the steering wheel. It takes a long time to become experienced for a new rider.
You need to be sort of an aggressive rider to survive commuting.  :3some:

Boom, Im surrounded by distracted drivers texting at the wheel.  If its the same way there, beginning on a heavy 650 is irrational.  Just like an old friend of mine, had to have her first motorcycle, what does she buy?  A Heritage Softtail Classic weighing in at around 800 pounds.  Shes had numerous close calls, almost hit me from behind because the porker she was straddling cant brake hard enough.

Start off riding off road!

Goose, quit being el cheapo and go buy her a small dirt bike!
If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it.  The felon does not fear the police, judge, nor jury.  The felon must be taught to fear his victim.