Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Who here also has a SCOOTER.  (Read 1593 times)

Offline FJR

Re: Who here also has a SCOOTER.
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2019, 11:55:18 am »

Baie nice. Ek het nogal nou die dag gedink die brieke is iets wat n upgrade kan kry.

Wat kos die nuwe modelle nou?
[/quote]

R54 995.00

Offline FJR

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2019, 12:22:36 pm »
Kymco is now also back in SA and is now supported  by Yamaha SA. You can now get the full range from your local Yamaha dealer.

I like the Kymco Exciting 400. The new BMW 400 is also nice but now we are talking about BIG money.

Did you know that Kymco is supplying BMW with scooter engines?  The Kymco 400 and BMW 400 share the same Kymco 400cc engine.
Kymco also supply the 650cc twin engine that is in the top spec BMW 650 scooters.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 12:25:31 pm by FJR »

Online sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Beware the 250 roost !
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2019, 01:59:46 pm »
How about this one? 2018 model with just more than 2K on the clock going for 35K.......  :deal:
Those 3 wheelers are very popular in Europe, guess for the icy roads in winter
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline meteldog

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Alive and kicking
    • Tankwa Biking
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2019, 02:09:21 pm »
I've got a SYM Citicom 300i. Use it every day, beats the hell out of commuting on my DS bike, so much easier. Cruises 140 easily, get about 28kms to a liter. Had it for 2 years now and it has not missed a beat, my wife and I ride 2up on it sometimes on weekends, she says its more comfy than my AT.

Only thing I don't like is that the suspension is not great and to stay within the manufactures 2 year unlimited mileage warranty you have to service every 3,000 kms, costs about R850 a service, not expensive, but just a bit inconvenient.

I went to Greece on holiday last year and out of curiosity hired a brand new Vespa 300 for a week, can't see why they cost more than double the price of the SYM 300, in my opinion the SYM is more comfy and handles way better
Cathsseta certified National Adventure Guide (WC9703)
it's all about the journey, not the destination
http://www.advbike.co.za
http://www.facebook.com/groups/111787138904704/

The following users thanked this post: FJR

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2019, 02:45:55 pm »
I recently bought myself a SYM Citycom300 to commute. I commute 80km a day.

It was one of the best decisions made to date.

The SYM comes with a 2 year unlimited warranty, is cheap (R30k less than the Yamaha), is backed by Kawasaki SA, gets 30+ km p/l, runs at 130km/h with ease and is comfortable.

I cannot see why one would take a big bike or bigger bike and waste it on a commute. This makes so much more sense.

These days I basically ride it everyday, everywhere. Unless there is a crises and I have to take the car.

Should clock 2000km today in less than 2 months.

I hear you and I think that a fair size scooter, say a 250cc min is a great way to commute, and you are right, they are very comfortable, but I would be hard pressed to buy a SYM 300 scooter over something like a CBR250R, then again I suppose I always look at older second hand bikes and not new.

I need a commuter for summer, I have been using my sons CBR125 but its just a tad  underpowered for my weight so I was looking at a CBR250, i'm busy looking for one now  which I can get for R20k.. when I look at the scooter prices that start heading to R45 or 50k I cant understand why someone would buy a scooter over something like a Honda NC750, especially doing 80km a day, my impression is that the scooters don't have the longevity of a bigger bike and their resale value is hammered.

Whats your thoughts

Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline meteldog

• Alive and kicking
    • Tankwa Biking
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2019, 03:13:28 pm »

The SYM comes with a 2 year unlimited warranty, is cheap (R30k less than the Yamaha), is backed by Kawasaki SA, gets 30+ km p/l, runs at 130km/h with ease and is comfortable.

I cannot see why one would take a big bike or bigger bike and waste it on a commute. This makes so much more sense.

These days I basically ride it everyday, everywhere. Unless there is a crises and I have to take the car.

I hear you and I think that a fair size scooter, say a 250cc min is a great way to commute, and you are right, they are very comfortable, but I would be hard pressed to buy a SYM 300 scooter over something like a CBR250R, then again I suppose I always look at older second hand bikes and not new.

I need a commuter for summer, I have been using my sons CBR125 but its just a tad  underpowered for my weight so I was looking at a CBR250, i'm busy looking for one now  which I can get for R20k.. when I look at the scooter prices that start heading to R45 or 50k I cant understand why someone would buy a scooter over something like a Honda NC750, especially doing 80km a day, my impression is that the scooters don't have the longevity of a bigger bike and their resale value is hammered.

Whats your thoughts
2 years ago when I bought my SYM 300, I first test rode the new KTM390 Duke and also the BMW 310R. I had about a 60k budget to buy a new commute at the time. A colleague of mine suggested I give a maxi scooter a try as well. I test rode the KTM, BMW and SYM all on the same day. I've never looked back. A scooter in traffic is just so much more comfortable and easy to ride and having the ability to get speeds of 140+ does for me. Storage under the seat for a helmet or 2 bags of supermarket shopping also a big plus.

A tall screen, comfortable seat and not getting feet wet on foot rests (like on a bike) is a great. With the CVT box, getting form robot to robot and off the mark is way quicker than on a bike with gears. I often drop bikes Robot to Robot, love the look on their faces when they pull up along side me an frown when they look at the Scoot :-)

Offline meteldog

• Alive and kicking
    • Tankwa Biking
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2019, 03:18:58 pm »
Forgot to mention that I've seen SYM 300's with over 70,000 kms on the clock. They do hold their resale value very well, I've been looking for one second hand  for a friend on a tight budget for a while, they don't come up often and if they do, not cheap at all

Offline eberhard

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2019, 03:19:14 pm »
Kymco is now also back in SA and is now supported  by Yamaha SA. You can now get the full range from your local Yamaha dealer.

I like the Kymco Exciting 400. The new BMW 400 is also nice but now we are talking about BIG money.

Did you know that Kymco is supplying BMW with scooter engines?  The Kymco 400 and BMW 400 share the same Kymco 400cc engine.
Kymco also supply the 650cc twin engine that is in the top spec BMW 650 scooters.

The C400X is made on a BMW-dedicated production line at China-based Loncin.
The Kymco X400i is made in Taiwan. I donít believe China and Taiwan are friendly toward each other. Why would a company in China import Taiwanese engines? The X400i is 399cc, the C400X is 350cc. Maybe the engine shrunk en route to China.  Or it was disguised in such a way as to confuse the Chinese customs.
eberhard
Agostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110

Offline KarooKid

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2019, 03:19:38 pm »

Whats your thoughts

I hear you, and battled with the same question.

I guess only time will tell if I made the right decision but currently I feel I did.

One of the bikes I really considered was a NC750 (probably my second choice). The SYM cost me R52k on the road and came with a two year unlimited km warranty. Suzuki south also gave me a buy back guarantee. My idea is to trade it as soon as the warrant comes to an end. It should be at about 30 000km then.

For R52k I probably could have gotten an out of warranty NC with 30 000km on the clock. Fuel consumption and running cost would also have been more.

The other thing the scooter does really well is protect me from the elements - wind and cold, because you literally hide behind a screen.

Let's just say if you asked me whether I would ever own a scooter 6 months ago then I would have laughed at you. Now you and everyone else can laugh at me  :)

It really is more fun than a bike to commute with at this stage.
Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies

Offline FJR

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2019, 03:22:01 pm »
Forgot to mention that I've seen SYM 300's with over 70,000 kms on the clock. They do hold their resale value very well, I've been looking for one second hand  for a friend on a tight budget for a while, they don't come up often and if they do, not cheap at all
Agree 100% with you, I was also looking for a 2nd hand one when I was buying my 200 and just could not find one.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 03:35:39 pm by FJR »

Offline FJR

« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2019, 03:32:22 pm »

The C400X is made on a BMW-dedicated production line at China-based Loncin.
The Kymco X400i is made in Taiwan. I donít believe China and Taiwan are friendly toward each other. Why would a company in China import Taiwanese engines? The X400i is 399cc, the C400X is 350cc. Maybe the engine shrunk en route to China.  Or it was disguised in such a way as to confuse the Chinese customs.
Hi, see below:
Our PE Yamaha and BMW dealers here in PE told me about the 400's.

Online subie

• Local Mods
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Liberalism is the ideology of Western suicide.
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2019, 04:17:23 pm »
Yip, I have a scooter. Actually 3 x scooters. Not for commuting though.

Vespa P200E
Vespa PX200E (e-start)
SYM Crox 125 

@stcomza - if you are looking to buy let me know, mine is for sale. Less than 3000km on and in excellent condition.

Going to use the PX200E for some touring - got luggage for it and testing a few changes out over the weekend with a 2 day ride.

Wow! Was vir baie jare my droom om netso n Vespa te he en mee te toer. Baie mooi  :thumleft:
As time washes by, our footprints are all for naught

Offline Vintage_Mania

« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2019, 04:40:37 pm »
Yip, I have a scooter. Actually 3 x scooters. Not for commuting though.

Vespa P200E
Vespa PX200E (e-start)
SYM Crox 125 

@stcomza - if you are looking to buy let me know, mine is for sale. Less than 3000km on and in excellent condition.

Going to use the PX200E for some touring - got luggage for it and testing a few changes out over the weekend with a 2 day ride.

Wow! Was vir baie jare my droom om netso n Vespa te he en mee te toer. Baie mooi  :thumleft:
Nou kry een en kom ry saam!

Sent from my Huawei P30

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day. And doing nothing often leads to the very best kind of something.

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2019, 04:48:01 pm »
I had a Vespa scoot for a short while but did not like the wind on my fanny so sold it........ :biggrin:
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Offline Grumpleton

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Live life like there is no tomorrow, For F#$K sake
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2019, 05:31:51 pm »
I have got a Big boy Revival 150 paid R 5000 for it , it now has 4000 km on the clock.
Kak suspension
kak power
kak lights
rag around the break master cylinder because it leaks
chrome peals off a little bit every day.
beer crate as a top box
but I use it in the summer and it still puts a smile on my face , took it off road the other day and frightened myself shitliss. :o
but its light on fuel R50 for a month so its great :thumleft:
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 05:33:11 pm by Grumpleton »
Bikes : 2003 KTM 950 adventure S, 2018 KTM 690 Enduro R , BigBoy Revival 150 for the drop.

Sun, Wind and Sail and for those colder days, My Bike.
Live for today, because yesterday has gone and tomorrow may never come.

Offline Blikkies1

« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2019, 06:57:12 pm »
@Fuzzy Muzzy check in with the guy at Bike & Boat Factory racing in Killarney, see if he has a CBR150 motor for you, it slots right into the 125 and has a lot more power considering the small displacement variance. I'm looking at starting a business and reckon I'll be getting the little GSX150R for commuting.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 07:01:13 pm by Blikkies1 »

Offline unishaun

« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2019, 07:55:55 am »
I had the Sym 300 gts evo for 4 years and put on 30 000km with no issues at all. Same motor as the city.com, just smaller wheels and different cosmetics.

It was comfortable, light on fuel and quick enough in traffic and on highways. The only issue was the service intervals and the cost to replace rollers and belts, which is every 12 000km. It landed up costing the same to service as my 800 Tiger

Sent from my A8 using Tapatalk

Offline Pavlovski

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • www.jamiezone.co.za FOR ALL YOUR W‹RTH PRODUCTS
    • www.jamiezone.co.za
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2019, 08:07:27 am »
Other than the price, I recon the 400cc BMW Scooter is a great commuter. I had the privilege of riding around with one for a week. The TFT screen in conjunction with the BMW app worked great and then of course there's the usual suite of BMW creature comforts. :thumleft:
Currently owns: BMW R1200R

Previously owned: BMW R1150GS, BMW G650GS, BMW R1150R, Suzuki SV1000, Suzuki DL650 V-strom, Hyosung GT250, BMW F800ST, BMW K1200S, Harley XL1200 Sportster Custom, SYM 125 Scooter, BMW G650 X-Country

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2019, 09:28:20 am »

Whats your thoughts

I hear you, and battled with the same question.

I guess only time will tell if I made the right decision but currently I feel I did.

One of the bikes I really considered was a NC750 (probably my second choice). The SYM cost me R52k on the road and came with a two year unlimited km warranty. Suzuki south also gave me a buy back guarantee. My idea is to trade it as soon as the warrant comes to an end. It should be at about 30 000km then.

For R52k I probably could have gotten an out of warranty NC with 30 000km on the clock. Fuel consumption and running cost would also have been more.

The other thing the scooter does really well is protect me from the elements - wind and cold, because you literally hide behind a screen.

Let's just say if you asked me whether I would ever own a scooter 6 months ago then I would have laughed at you. Now you and everyone else can laugh at me  :)

It really is more fun than a bike to commute with at this stage.

No laughing here, I promise.

I'm right at the point where I'm about to sell my sons CBR125 to buy the CBR250 and then I saw this thread. I remembered my old Jonway scooter and it really was a good option at the time.

Hearing that these scoots get 30, 40, 50 000km without much issue, and their after sales service is a very tempting thing

Im gonna check out this CBR250 and then make a call

Thanks for the input
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2019, 09:33:52 am »
@Fuzzy Muzzy check in with the guy at Bike & Boat Factory racing in Killarney, see if he has a CBR150 motor for you, it slots right into the 125 and has a lot more power considering the small displacement variance. I'm looking at starting a business and reckon I'll be getting the little GSX150R for commuting.

I'm not sure I would buy a motor from Michael. I bought the 125 off the showroom floor and it has been really well looked after, only serviced at the agent etc, it still looks like new so ill keep it original, once you start changing motors then nobody wants to buy a bike. I must admit, my intention with the 125 was to keep it for 30 - 40 years because one day it will be collectable likethe 50cc bikes are today

Alas there is not a lot of space in the garage. I'm building up a home office and the 125  parted in the office for now as a display.. looks quite tit.  :laughing4: