Help me to do the math

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Namakwalander

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR250 Tornado
OK, so let's say I were to get a small commuter bike to "save" money. It is not replacing a vehicle and is additional to what I currently have. I also do not have any kit or a valid license and would like some input on these to make an accurate calculation.

Obviously there is some risk involved in commuting 40+km by bike/scooter and also the added inconvenience of things like rain and cold that one has to deal with, but let's leave tat out of the equation for now. Also mostly working on averages here because I am not looking at a specific bike for this calculation, but let's assume 150-300cc bike or scooter

Purchace price of new/demo bike/scooter: R35 000 (limit for sake of discussion)
Kit for a newb (helmet, jacket, gloves...): R???
Cost of getting bike driver's license: R???
Yearly license fee: R???
Monthly insurance for theft and third party cover: R???
Service interval: 4000km (assumed for now, I see some scooters require much more frequent oil changes)
Service cost: R600 (according to online price which includes a plug, air filter and oil and oil filter)
Set of tyres: R??? (I know this will depend heavily on the type of bike, but help me out here with an average)
Tyre change interval: ???km (same as above, but help with an average here)
Fuel consumption: 25km/L (Assuming max cruising to be between 80km/h and 100km/h with a smallish bike and heavy rider. Not on highway)

Anything else to consider?