Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: New Honda Africa Twin Launch - Western Cape  (Read 2436 times)

Juan27 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline iamgigglz

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • The Hula hoop is Dead. Long live the Hula hoop.
Re: New Honda Africa Twin Launch - Western Cape
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2019, 10:04:02 am »
:blob9: Can't wait to have a go on Sunday. Power and torque are much the same as my 990 but the Honda is 27kg heavier, although that weight is lower down and the torque comes in at lower revs...should be interesting to compare.

The normal one should be about the same weight as the 990. The ATAS is heavier though

I'm booked on the ATAS DCT - full Monty.
Bensien - Wife came home today with a Samsung 3D LED TV and 3D Blue Ray player with built in wi-fi and 1TB hard drive. What else do I need?
Kaboef - A cheaper wife.

Offline Hollywood

« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2019, 10:04:46 am »
:blob9: Can't wait to have a go on Sunday. Power and torque are much the same as my 990 but the Honda is 27kg heavier, although that weight is lower down and the torque comes in at lower revs...should be interesting to compare.

...whats nice is that the you sit more down into the bike. The seat height stays the same as the previous model, but its 40mm narrower! 1.8m Guys like me can put both feet solid on the ground. Makes technical riding much easier.
Addicted to riding big bikes in tricky places.
Rode most of Southern Africa.
Currently riding a slightly pimped black Africa Twin Manual, named Fezile

Offline iamgigglz

« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2019, 10:10:09 am »

...whats nice is that the you sit more down into the bike. The seat height stays the same as the previous model, but its 40mm narrower! 1.8m Guys like me can put both feet solid on the ground. Makes technical riding much easier.

I'm 1.8m plus a bit with my boots on.
Both my 990 has an 860mm seat, the AT is 850~870 but much narrower (I believe) - another interesting point of comparison to check out on the day.
Bensien - Wife came home today with a Samsung 3D LED TV and 3D Blue Ray player with built in wi-fi and 1TB hard drive. What else do I need?
Kaboef - A cheaper wife.

Offline Mpandla

« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2019, 10:12:36 am »
I think they changed the position of the footpegs a bit on the newer model
I hated their placement on the first one. They were right where you naturally put your feet down, so had to end up sitting more wide legged if you had bigger pegs fitted
KTM 690
Mpandla - The bald one

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S33°54.712 E018°28.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2019, 10:24:13 am »

Quote from: Mpandla on Today at 10:12:36 am>I think they changed the position of the footpegs a bit on the newer model
I hated their placement on the first one. They were right where you naturally put your feet down, so had to end up sitting more wide legged if you had bigger pegs fitted

Interesting feedback, thanks, Mpandla :thumleft:
for us, we are hoping Honda SETTLE on foot-peg ATTACHMENT METHOD, never mind peg placement; lower foot-pegs for the CRF 1000L did not then fit the Adventure Sport, so we then designed a NEW lower foot-peg for the Adventure Sport, so H-O-P-I-N-G that all 4 new bikes  (A2 + A4 + D2 + D4) share SAME rider A-N-D pillion peg bracketry...!
thus same rider peg placement/attachment method, so that ALL foot-pegs will fit all 4 new bikes, and..
and same pillion peg placement/attachment method, so that ALL pannier racks will fit all 4 bikes...!
(they changed from a vertical to a horizontal attachment method, which played HAVOC with what would/would not fit, and effectively doubles our stock-holding!)
Since TWO of the bikes are supposedly TUBED, and TWO are TUBELESS, I am hoping they use the SAME frame and sub-frame across all four models, if any one knows yet, please let me know?
thanks  :thumleft:
Chris

Chris & Team 021 510 6455 S33°54.712 E018°28.208

MARINE DRIVE, into NEPTUNE street, 2nd left into SHROPSHIRE street, on the right hand side.
021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za sales@flyingbrick.co.za  support@flyingbrick.co.za
S33°54.712 E018°28.208

Offline iamgigglz

« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2019, 10:41:40 am »
I am hoping they use the SAME frame and sub-frame across all four models, if any one knows yet, please let me know?

I know the Adventure Sports model has a clip-on pannier system and the "Normal" model doesn't, but I can ask questions and take a look on Sunday if that helps? :sip:
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 10:42:36 am by iamgigglz »
Kaboef - A cheaper wife.

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2019, 11:20:12 am »

Quote from: iamgigglz on Today at 10:41:40 am

>Quote from: zebra - Flying Brick on Today at 10:24:13 am
I am hoping they use the SAME frame and sub-frame
across all four models, if any one knows yet, please let me know?

I know the Adventure Sports model has a clip-on pannier system and the "Normal" model doesn't, but I can ask questions and take a look on Sunday if that helps? :sip:
Will appreciate that, thanks  :thumleft:

MARINE DRIVE, into NEPTUNE street, 2nd left into SHROPSHIRE street, on the right hand side.
021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za sales@flyingbrick.co.za  support@flyingbrick.co.za
S33°54.712 E018°28.208

Offline ultraflight

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Always keen to ride.
    • Xplorer
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2019, 07:14:29 pm »
Strange that we cannot find any info on the integrated GPS.
Is there a way to get GPX files onto it?
Can it navigate Tracks, Like the Garmin Zumo range can (not Routes, but Tracks - big difference).
Can it load Garmin compatible maps, i.e. can Tracks4Africa be installed?
Is there an SD card slot?
Etc.
I sure hope its not like the new 1250GS which uses your phone’s GPS.

I would love to get hold of a PDF User Manual /Owners Manual.

Offline iamgigglz

« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2019, 10:01:14 pm »
It uses Apple Car Play, so yes, essentially it’s just an extension of your phone. The upside is it supports third party apps, so you could use something like Sygic for offline maps.
Kaboef - A cheaper wife.

Offline iamgigglz

New Honda Africa Twin Launch - Western Cape
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2019, 09:29:34 am »
My mate just let me know he can’t make it, so there’s a 12:00 ride on an Adventure Sport DCT at ADA today going wanting.
Not sure if it’s transferable or if they need proof of who you are, but message me if you want to take it.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 09:29:55 am by iamgigglz »
Kaboef - A cheaper wife.

Offline iamgigglz

« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2019, 12:57:03 pm »
Ok so the frame and subframe is the same across all CRF1100 variants. The rear carrier is the same part number across all the models too, although I’m sure there would be bits of fairing that would have to change if you fitted the carrier to the base model.

Got pics of the foot peg mounting points for you too if you need them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kaboef - A cheaper wife.

The following users thanked this post: zebra - Flying Brick

Offline KarooKid

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2019, 09:32:08 pm »

Kyk nê - as jy 1.8m is dan vertolk ek n rol in 7de Laan....... 😊
Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2019, 08:20:40 am »

Quote from: iamgigglz on Yesterday at 12:57:03 pm>Ok so the frame and subframe is the same across all CRF1100 variants. The rear carrier is the same part number across all the models too, although I’m sure there would be bits of fairing that would have to change if you fitted the carrier to the base model.

Got pics of the foot peg mounting points for you too if you need them.

Yes, would REALLY appreciate those pictures, info@flyingbrick.co.za
thanks  :thumleft:  Cris

S33°54.712 E018°28.208

Offline Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2019, 08:30:58 am »
We went to ADA on Saturday to test ride the New Adventure sports, I opted for the Manual and DCT models (Had never ridden an auto)

First off, journalists cant ride!!!
We were the first to ride on Saturday morning, the bikes had taken a serious beating on Friday with the journalists, broken plastics, scratched and cracked plastics, Dented exhaust pipes. Seriously, they dont seem to care much, its not their bikes  :eek7:

I have only ever ridden the 2018 Africa Twin (My other halfs)
I havent been a great fan of it, the front suspension nose dives and I always feel like I am going over the handle bars when I brake hard.

I was more interested in the Adventure sports, its bigger, has a bigger tank, has more presence, looks better too, its also a better comparison to my current GSA

The stock AT looks pretty, in red at least, I dont like the Black and red configuration, it just looks crap IMHO

The Adventure sports got my attention in many things, mostly the bells and whistles, yes I know that shit can cost you money when it breaks, but its still cool, they come standard with Apple Carplay (This is a little sucky, as I am not a sheep, I use Android phones)
Why do manufacturers think that the majority of the world revolves around Apple, here in SA I think by Far Android is market leader
But I am sure with a software update in the near future and Android Auto will be part of the package.

That screen (Touch screen) is absolutely awesome, clear, easy to read, doesnt get effected by sun shining on it. you can play with your ride settings choose from 4 riding mores and also have 2 extra user specific ride modes that you can customise to your own personal taste.. They do not come out with any form of crash bars as yet, thats not a plus for them, but I am sure they will sort that out soon.

It comes with Tubeless tyres, YES!!!

Then we got off to the ride, I started on the Manual, with a quick Shfiter.
Unfortunately the handlebars on my first bike werent set correctly, they were too far back, making for a kak ride, my elbows hanging behind my back and standing was very uncomfortable, I must have looked like the hunchback of notre dame.
I came back sore and not really feeling great about the bike, but I told the guys that they should sort that shit out as its going to influence people perceptions.

Power!!! Holy crap, its got lots of it, you open that throttle, WOW, it shunts, I was gobsmacked, 100cc's more and its chalk and cheese to the std 2018 Model. It move, quick response.
On the dirt it handles very well, sticking to the dirt and it feels super light. I felt more confident on the dirt on this than on my GSA, I do suspect it could be the 21" front though.
The screen which is adjustable it perfect, blacks all the wind and on long trips you will sit comfortably without being buffeted, its also adjustable up and down, so for taller guys you have no problem, no need for unsightly clip on aero trims

On my second ride I felt more comfortable, the DCT handle bars were set better, handlebars still felt slightly low when standing, I also felt that the foot pegs are a little high  and maybe too far forward, it could still be due to an incorrect setup but when standing I felt very far forward over the front.
DCT is something else, its basically an auto, makes for easy riding, in some places I think I would prefer manual but in other scenarios I feel that the DCT makes things some much easier
Slow riging through trees and cattle  paths I found that it must made things so much easier.  And it doesnt really change your power delivery, even when cruising, if you twist that ear it will kick down a gear or 2 instantly and unleash massive power.

R250 for the Manual and R260 for the DCT its just about within the market range, add the extras like crash bars and quick shifter and youre going to be at the same price as a GSA

I loved it, its pretty, would I buy one, absolutely, if I had the cash, for now I can only dream.
:paw:

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

The following users thanked this post: zebra - Flying Brick

Offline iamgigglz

« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2019, 10:34:42 am »
Nice one Mikie. I went through on Sunday and rode the Adventure Sport DCT. The power and torque is deceptive. 1st gear is really short so you're in 2nd almost immediately after pull-off. After that the acceleration doesn't feel like much until you look down and you're suddenly doing 180. Just for the record it seems to top out at an indicated 210. My 990 feels faster but probably isn't.

The DCT is amazeballs though. Smooth as anything without feeling slushy, perfect downshifts under braking, really easy to work with at ultra-low speeds, and giving it a quick squirt to rotate around sharp 1st gear turns worked better than on my 990. You just need to remember to switch to neutral before blipping the throttle when stationary. One guy dropped a bike like that yesterday.
And you want to blip the throttle all the time - that exhaust note is amazing. There was a CRF1000 there with a slip-on and the new bikes sounded just as good with their stock pipes.

The only things I didn't like about the DCT was it was a little slow to downshift for overtaking, and a very specific situation: Coming into a gravel corner fast, lock up the rear to get it to step out, then off the brake...and you're free-wheeling. No engine braking - it's the bike keeps the clutch disengaged after the lock up. The only way to get it to hook up again is getting back on the power - which I guess is the right thing to be doing in that scenario anyway.
It's probably something I could get used to but it gave me a serious fright the first time.

Great bike all in all, it's just difficult to justify the R50k~70k extra over a 790 or 1090R
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 10:36:00 am by iamgigglz »
Kaboef - A cheaper wife.

Offline Hollywood

« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2019, 03:38:14 pm »

Kyk nê - as jy 1.8m is dan vertolk ek n rol in 7de Laan....... 😊

Kak seepie, maar nou ja... Wat is jou karakter se naam?

Offline Hollywood

« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2019, 03:51:06 pm »
Nice one Mikie. I went through on Sunday and rode the Adventure Sport DCT. The power and torque is deceptive. 1st gear is really short so you're in 2nd almost immediately after pull-off. After that the acceleration doesn't feel like much until you look down and you're suddenly doing 180. Just for the record it seems to top out at an indicated 210. My 990 feels faster but probably isn't.

The DCT is amazeballs though. Smooth as anything without feeling slushy, perfect downshifts under braking, really easy to work with at ultra-low speeds, and giving it a quick squirt to rotate around sharp 1st gear turns worked better than on my 990. You just need to remember to switch to neutral before blipping the throttle when stationary. One guy dropped a bike like that yesterday.
And you want to blip the throttle all the time - that exhaust note is amazing. There was a CRF1000 there with a slip-on and the new bikes sounded just as good with their stock pipes.

The only things I didn't like about the DCT was it was a little slow to downshift for overtaking, and a very specific situation: Coming into a gravel corner fast, lock up the rear to get it to step out, then off the brake...and you're free-wheeling. No engine braking - it's the bike keeps the clutch disengaged after the lock up. The only way to get it to hook up again is getting back on the power - which I guess is the right thing to be doing in that scenario anyway.
It's probably something I could get used to but it gave me a serious fright the first time.

Great bike all in all, it's just difficult to justify the R50k~70k extra over a 790 or 1090R

Within the first 18 months of buying a 790 you'll spend that 50-70K on fixing little niggles....and the rear shock... and AT has 12000km service intervals.
Ag, relax man! Just pulling your chain.

Offline Ian in Great Brak River

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2019, 05:38:57 pm »
Thanks for the reviews gents, keep it coming. DCT is the one I am interested in ... :thumleft:
1978. It's 6am, mid winter...two up on a XL 185S ... off to my first casino ever with all of R40 and we've got a full tank of fuel, so enough to get there we reckon.... that's determination...

Old bike: '82 Eddie Lawson Replica
Other bike: '05 Honda Varadero 1000
New bike: '16 Honda Africa Twin.

Offline BLK

« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2019, 05:52:43 pm »
Thanks for the reviews gents, keep it coming. DCT is the one I am interested in ... :thumleft:

"He who hesitates is Lost"

Offline iamgigglz

« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2019, 05:56:35 pm »
Within the first 18 months of buying a 790 you'll spend that 50-70K on fixing little niggles....and the rear shock... and AT has 12000km service intervals.
Ag, relax man! Just pulling your chain.

You might be pulling my chain but you're not wrong. I did nearly 70,000km on a Transalp 700 including falling over in rivers, overheating in sand dunes and bottoming out over rocks - the only thing I had go wrong was a snapped clutch cable.

My 990 has been a very different story and it's done half the mileage...
Kaboef - A cheaper wife.