Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Who would like to join the Dan's on a 10 day trip? – THE RIDE REPORT  (Read 3596 times)

Offline MiniDan

Sani Pass has been on my bucket list for a very long time. Ever since my dad did it for the first time and told me about its magnificent beauty, I just knew that I had to experience it for myself and, more importantly, it had to be on a bike.
Bikes are and have always been part of our lives. My father is without a doubt a bit of a bike fanatic, he lives and breathes motorbikes, and from a young age, I was exposed to the sport. I can clearly remember racing my Italjet on oval tracks in the old Transvaal. I even had my own mini motocross track in our backyard which my dad had built for me. Our weekends were spent riding the mine quarries. Just the two of us. It was the perfect childhood.
At the end of this year, my wife and I will be emigrating to the Netherlands. We’ve been planning this move for a while but one thing was certain: I could not leave for Europe before experiencing Sani Pass for myself. So, with a deadline lurking, we started planning for this trip of a lifetime.
View our planning here: http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=238210.0

The team

2StrokeDan – Wooden spoon holder; no further info needed.

MiniDan – Offspring of the guy with the wooden spoon.

Andy (aka “Dries”) – Andreas Lenz is an avid biker hailing from Germany. His current bike collection includes a BMW1000SS, a custom Harley, a 701, an HP2 Megamoto and a 690 that he leaves in SA. This visit to SA was his third for the year and all of them were for bike trips. 2StrokeDan met him via John from Wildwood Adventures and when he was invited to join the Lesotho expedition, Dries was quick to reply with a “yes please!”.

Andy's custom Harley

Now you may wonder how a tall German guy by the name of Andy turned into Dries…On one of our trailered sections, we were chatting and the German wanted to know what the Afrikaans equivalent would be for “Andreas”. We said it would probably be “Andries” but I mentioned that I would rather just call him “Dries”. Andy then piped up: “I like that, you can call me that.” And so “Dries” stuck.

The bikes
Andy had his 690, 2StrokeDan was on his 701 and here I would like to give a huge shoutout to Gideon Joubert aka GJ on the forum. For a small fee, he lent me his 701 for this trip. While I have full confidence in my trusty old XT, the 701 is just a lot more fun. Dankie Oom…
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 08:00:11 am by MiniDan »

The following users thanked this post: Fudge

Offline MiniDan

Re: Who would like to join the Dan's on a 10 day trip? – THE RIDE REPORT
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 09:05:18 am »
Day 1 – Stellenbosch to Mossel Bay

Bikes loaded and off to Mossel Bay. 2StrokeDan and Andy left Stellenbosch early on the Friday morning with all three bikes on the trailer. The stayed over at my place in Mossel Bay from where we departed for Maclear the next day.

*You’ll see that there aren’t a lot of photos of the first and last days, as the trip photographer (me) wasn’t there on those days.

2StrokeDan and Dries ready for the road.

Our bikes ready to go.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 07:58:49 am by MiniDan »

Offline BikerJan

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 09:11:24 am »
sub...

Offline MiniDan

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019, 09:11:36 am »
Day 2 – Mossel Bay to Maclear

Day 2 saw us hitting the road up to Maclear via Uniondale, Willowmore, Graaff-Reinet and Steynsburg. We stopped for breakfast at Sophie’s Choice in Willowmore, which according to Dries was like being back in his mother’s house in Germany. A compliment indeed, as the service was great, the food delicious and Dries could get his first of twenty decaf coffees in for the day. Dries does not drink coffee in Germany; he says that it is too strong and makes his heart race. So when he gets to SA, he overdoses on decaf.

Sophie's Choice accross the road.

When we started planning the trip, we toyed with the idea of doing the trip exclusively on bikes. I can tell you now that I am extremely happy that we decided against this. I was able to sit in the passenger seat next to my dad which meant that Dries had the entire backseat to himself (perfect for afternoon naps). My dad and I spent hours chatting about all kinds of shit – it was great.

Picture of Dries taking one of his numerous naps... :thumleft:

Road trippin with my dad.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 08:30:14 am by MiniDan »

Offline MiniDan

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2019, 09:14:58 am »
About 30 km outside Steynsburg, we ran into a gentlemen on a 1984 R80GS (I’m guessing here). Not standard at all, as he had built a sidecar onto it. We had just pulled over and saw him coming down the road making a very dodgy-looking beeline for us. His approach was unbalanced and every time he braked, the whole unit would make a sharp dip. Only after he had stopped, we noticed that he was paralyzed from the waist down. He uses bungee cords to strap his legs in place and has welded a metal bar to the gear shifter so that he can shift with his hand. He had also cut half his seat away so that he does not slide back. The bloke’s legs are like toothpicks and if his keys or helmet would fall he would have no way of retrieving them. But the only thing he complained about was not having enough money for fuel. All he wants to do is ride more. What a legend…

After this lekker encounter, we were off again. Our accommodation for the evening was a place called D’s. It is right next to the hospital in Maclear and at first, we struggled to find it. It had no signage and was located behind, what looked like, 3-metre-high fencing. The rooms were however clean, the shower good, and the beds comfortable, and we were all looking forward to a good night’s rest.

As we had arrived rather late, we dropped our stuff, unhooked the trailer and went looking for somewhere to eat. We ended up at Alpine Bistro where we enjoyed a delicious meal served by a very friendly young lady. Dries really took a liking to her, but we did not give him much time to socialize as we were quite tired after the day’s long drive.

Back at our accommodation, our planned peaceful evening soon turned into a nightmarish affair, when a pack of dogs started barking which kept us up for most of the night. These dogs became a running joke that would follow Dries throughout the whole trip.

A side view of his rig. Note the iron rod welded to the gear shifter.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 08:07:37 am by MiniDan »

The following users thanked this post: Rynet

Offline Noneking

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2019, 09:32:05 am »
 :ricky: :ricky:
2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline Sputnik080

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2019, 09:42:30 am »
Suuuuuuuub :ricky:
History:
1) 2008 Vuka XT125 (sold)     2) 2013 Motomia Java 170 (sold)     3) 2000 Honda XRV750 Africa Twin (sold)     4) 1994 Honda CBR600 F2 (sold)     5) 2004 Honda XL650V Transalp (sold)     6) 2004 BMW R1200GS (current)

Offline Clockwork Orange

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2019, 09:49:51 am »
I am not able to see some of the pics :dontknow: :dontknow:
When in doubt...grab throttle!!!

Offline briv

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • I know how an Ostrich sounds!!! knaplap huh !
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2019, 10:07:48 am »
Ek ook nie ... maar ek wil bitter graag !
oor B..erge en RIV..iere sal ons ry,
mag dit altyd tog so bly....
KTM 640 ADV. BMW 650 DAKAR. Africa Twin RD07. KTM 990 ADV. BMW R1200 GS

is jy moeg,,,,, of vaak groot gemaak?  (2StrokeDan)

Offline MiniDan

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2019, 10:32:09 am »

Ek ook nie ... maar ek wil bitter graag !

I'm sorry, but I can see them all. So not sure how to help you out.

Online iamgigglz

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • The Hula hoop is Dead. Long live the Hula hoop.
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2019, 10:36:14 am »

You can see them because you're logged into your google account.
You need to make the images public
Bensien - Wife came home today with a Samsung 3D LED TV and 3D Blue Ray player with built in wi-fi and 1TB hard drive. What else do I need?
Kaboef - A cheaper wife.

Offline MiniDan

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2019, 10:46:21 am »
Day 3 – Maclear to Himeville

The previous night we were discussing our trip to Himeville, which was a short drive by car. 2StrokeDan suggested that we get up a bit earlier, offload the bikes in Himeville and go up Sani Pass and back. Dries and I agreed and we set off in anticipation.

The road to Himeville was just fantastic. To our left, we could see the mountains of Lesotho, causing anticipation and excitement for the coming ride. We were planning to stop for breakfast in Matatiele, but as soon as we entered the town, it was clear that we were not going to find a coffee shop or restaurant. I suggested we go to Resthaven, the same place we were planning to stay later on in our trip. Phillip, the owner of Resthaven, told us that they do not cater to walk-ins and that breakfast had just finished, but that he would help us out with a small meal. Old Dries was dying for his decaf and we were all pretty hungry, so the “small meal” would just have to do. The “small meal” was, however, anything but small and neither were the coffees. Resthaven is an amazing spot and we were already looking forward to our future stay.

Resthaven. the best thing about Matatiele.

Dries enjoying one bad-ass breakfast.

We arrived in Himeville where we were supposed to check-in at the Himeville Arms. A while back I had read @Dwerg’s RR and his comments on The Arms and I was a bit worried about our stay. 2StrokeDan had stayed there in 2012 and remembered the good food and great atmosphere, so when we arrived we were not sure what to expect.

The place had unfortunately seen better days and it was sad to see. We chilled outside with the bikes while 2StrokeDan went to check us in. A little while later he was back and informed us that we would be hitting the road again. Shocked and disappointed, we got in the car only to be told we had been upgraded to the Premier Resort Sani Pass because of a broken water pump at The Arms. What a nice surprise!

The Premier Resort Sani Pass

It was already quite late by the time we finished checking in and unloading the bikes, and we still wanted to head up Sani. When I started that 701 the first time, I could not contain my excitement. The first section was tar road and it gave me a bit of time to get used to the bike. We then hit a section where they were busy with road works and after that, the rockiest part of Sani. We stopped at one of the lookout points, where I took some footage and we just enjoyed the fact that we were on Sani Pass. We decided to turn back, as we still had to head into Himeville and fill up the bikes for the next day.

Section of Sani where the road works are happening.

A view of the valley from one of the lookout points.

Sani in the background.

Almost at the top.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 08:37:56 am by MiniDan »

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2019, 10:54:59 am »
 :thumleft:
Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline Lem

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2019, 11:00:08 am »
ingeteken  :thumleft:
Faith is not knowing what the future holds, it's knowing who holds the future

Offline Noneking

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2019, 11:06:18 am »

You can see them because you're logged into your google account.
You need to make the images public

I'm also seeing all of them?
2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline OomD

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • #imstayingpositive
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2019, 11:15:23 am »
Sub! But, also not seeing all the pics...

Offline Kortbroek

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2019, 11:16:24 am »

same here
- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

Offline lowrider

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2019, 11:17:03 am »

same here

Ditto...see some, not all
2005 BMW F650GS Dakar
2007 Husqvarna TE450R

Offline subie

• Local Mods
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Liberalism is the ideology of Western suicide.
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2019, 11:31:16 am »
Sub.
Some of pics in beginning of thread not showing. Seems ok now :thumleft:
As time washes by, our footprints are all for naught

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2019, 11:58:52 am »
 :ricky: Wil ook saamry maar sien net so een foto by elke inskrywing

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600