Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: @Garmin awful service.  (Read 730 times)

Offline WildWood

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Real dual-sport adventure tours
@Garmin awful service.
« on: February 13, 2020, 02:02:13 pm »

I was fortunate to buy a Garmin Montana 650 GPS unit at a good price over a year ago because a new model was coming out. I run a small tour business and kept it as a spare (I have a few similar units)
I used my new unit on its first trip last week and riding in the rain it took on water and died. It's a Garmin Montana 650 GPS, rated for outdoor and marine adventure.
I contacted the local agent in Cape Town (NavWorld ) who referred me to Garmin in Rosebank (jhb). After being told I need to post the damaged unit to them at my cost I could buy a new unit at a discounted cost. They do no repairs for Garmin products. I'm told this is worldwide.

I had a rant on Facebook and got a message asking for my contact details and the service department would contact me. Now 48 hours later I received the following reply:

Good day John
Thank you for contacting Garmin

Regarding your query, The Montana 650 is now un-supported device and no repair or replacement parts available, in light of this Garmin offers a discounted price on the upgraded version Montana 680 in relation to the Garmin recommended retail price of R9 999 (link: https://buy.garmin.com/en-ZA/ZA/p/523643).

Alternatively as the Montana is unsupported you also have the choice to select any other outdoor unit and get a discounted quote on it also. For official quotes your Montana would need to be booked in.

Kind regards

Ronald Mkandawire
Product Support Associate

So basically Garmin take no responsibility for their product after one year and offer no service / repair option.

The thing is in new condition kept in a genuine Garmin hardcase.

I would think a high end product such as this would have better backup than this or alternatively a warning that they carry no extended warranty for product after one year.
Their solution to their product failure is to sell you another unit at a profit, albeit a slightly lower profit.

I have a couple of Garmins and can do without the unit but it's the principal and really crap attitude.

I guess the GPS is fast going the route of the Walkman and cellphones with free apps have largely taken there place, but I like the separation. Guess it is the last time I go near a Garmin product and will go out of my way to convince mates of the same.

Kind regards
John Wood

Offline Roadhawg

• Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    • Technilube Oils and Greases
Re: @Garmin awful service.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 02:23:32 pm »
Someone really needs to "Disrupt" the GPS industry.  The interfaces and route planning software is pathetic, and Garmin is really the only game in town, so they can pull silly shit like this.

Offline edgy

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
    • A Stone's Throw Bed & Breakfast
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 02:31:50 pm »
Sounds like very shitty service!! :o
Try speak to Wessel VD Walt on 0836406693, hes been a great help to me regarding a GPS in the past :thumleft:
www.astonesthrow.co.za

BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"

The following users thanked this post: Appel

Online madmax

• Bike: Rotax (all models)
  • I may be MAD but it MAX no difference
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 02:57:53 pm »
took my 64s when it drowned to cape union mart ..they sent to garmin free (maybe cos i was in jhb) ..they offered me about 1/3 off on the new mk62b (68 or 65 whatever) i took it .. and well gps still in box in drawer cos i bought hd tourer that has built in real shitty gps and i use google maps a lot ..haven't done gs tour since april last year when the gps drowned
i was not overly upset at the offer cos i knew is what they do as my 62 died and they offered me the 64 on same deal around 6 or 8 years ago

but try loads old maps in mapsource if u replace machine or in basecamp..then u get told buy new maps ..but i gippoed em cos i had loaded on another machine so copied everything and basically managed to load what i wanted
fornicate the proletariat

Offline TheBear

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 10:13:23 am »
This has been Garmin's policy for some years now.  When my Zumo 500 passed, I bought a Zumo 660.  At that time ,the discounts were extremely worthwhile though.  I paid R1600 for the 660 which was retailing for around R6k at the time.
#33 #BRADICAL!

Online IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • What me worry?
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 11:19:45 am »
The cost of manufacture for a garmin I suspect is extremely low. The costs are mostly R&D and thus Garmin usually offer great replacement deals when a claim is lodged.

I would take this up higher up in the Garmin chain as I am sure you can get a better resolution than this.
Born to lose, live to win!!

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2020, 11:24:08 am »
really not good, especially with the smartphone market and apps just getting better and better...
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2020, 01:40:08 pm »
really not good, especially with the smartphone market and apps just getting better and better...

This is exactly what makes me wonder why nobody else has started another proper GPS brand. The technology on even an out of date iPhone is miles ahead of a Garmin....Granted most of it ius unnecessary on a GPS, but the GPS side is very much there. The user interfaces on Google Maps etc is infinitely better than any garmin.  Someone could easily make something orders of magnitude better than current Garmins.

Offline TheBear

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2020, 01:44:25 pm »

The draw back with Smartphone GPS and Google Maps for me, is the inability to do detailed route planning.  On every other level they are already beating the average GPS device.
#33 #BRADICAL!

Online Kortbroek

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2020, 01:56:05 pm »

The draw back with Smartphone GPS and Google Maps for me, is the inability to do detailed route planning.  On every other level they are already beating the average GPS device.

Android and the locus map app can do all of that. In fact you can make routes in basecamp then save them as a gpx and import them into locus on your smartphone.
- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

Offline TheBear

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2020, 02:01:32 pm »

Android and the locus map app can do all of that. In fact you can make routes in basecamp then save them as a gpx and import them into locus on your smartphone.

Will check out the Locus Map App, thanks.

How do you use Basecamp without the Garmin maps on a Garmin device?  Sorry, a tad technologically stupid.
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2020, 02:04:34 pm »

I find it impossible to do any sort of detailed routing on Basecamp and the like.  I end up building the route on Google Maps, exporting that as KML and then opening that in Basecamp and managing to convert it somehow.

I wish I could bypass the Basecamp absolute horrendous pain in the ass.

Offline TheBear

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2020, 02:07:46 pm »

I find it impossible to do any sort of detailed routing on Basecamp and the like.  I end up building the route on Google Maps, exporting that as KML and then opening that in Basecamp and managing to convert it somehow.

I wish I could bypass the Basecamp absolute horrendous pain in the ass.

I still use Mapsource as I absolutely detest Basecamp.  To my mind, the best route planning software available.  That will however end soon I suppose.
#33 #BRADICAL!

Online Kortbroek

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2020, 02:11:43 pm »

Will check out the Locus Map App, thanks.

How do you use Basecamp without the Garmin maps on a Garmin device?  Sorry, a tad technologically stupid.

you need to make a garmin data folder on a flashdrive or something, then the pc thinks it's a gps that is plugged in. I just keep the maps on there then. You need the maps to be unlocked of course for that.
- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

Offline OomD

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • #imstayingpositive
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2020, 06:02:05 pm »
Tom Tom make a really good outdoor GPS, just a pity they do not have a proper map/planning utility except the old Tyre software they used.

Garmin is kak. Pure and simple.

Offline Robin Brown

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2020, 06:26:55 pm »
I rode with a Montana for a few years until one day we rode in solid rain for many hours. And it leaked and stopped working.
Then I learnt that any touch screen device on a motorbike with vibration and dust eventually loses the ability for the seal between the soft and hard screen to seal out water.
So I wrote it off.
Now only ride with a button GPS.

Offline WildWood

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2020, 11:02:58 pm »
Robin this is the first time I rode with it and it leaked.

Offline WildWood

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2020, 11:04:32 pm »
Got my bugger off and die letter from @Garmin today.

Incedently the 610's were still sold freely in South Africa in 2019 at retailers like Cape Union Mart.

Good afternoon Mr Wood,

Garmin Southern Africa is aligned with the Garmin global service policies, devices are not opened and component level repair is not offered at support sites and an alternative option known as a fixed repair rate is offered, a fixed repair rate would be a flat repair cost in order to replace the device.

Your device, unfortunately, is no longer supported and has been discontinued a number of years ago, which means a fixed repair rate offer is not available for the model, this is why we will, in the absence of a fixed repair rate cost, offer a discount on the purchase of a new device, as relayed by Ronald below.

Our service policies are aligned with local consumer legislation, if your device was purchased from an authorised Garmin retailer less than 12 months ago then it would still be covered under the standard manufacturer warranty, regardless of support status and I would suggest returning the device with a proof of purchase attached so that we can assist.

Best Regards,
Dalton Nel
Technical and RMA Process Administrator
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 11:06:01 pm by WildWood »

Offline Noneking

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2020, 04:52:55 am »
Been following this thread with interest.

I have owned quite a few Garmin products and they have served me well for the most part. My Zumos have been almost indestructible, even washed on the bike with pressure washer on every bike wash. Never had issues on 660, 595 and BMW Navigators which are essentially BMW branded Zumos.

Only issue ever was with a Zumo 390 bought new from vendor on here. On a trip from Cape Town to Nelspruit. The two-pin electrical connection is a weak point on the unit in my opinion and on the unit I had it got destroyed  on the trip from Cape Town. Vendor gave me excellent service and refunded the unit in full.

I guess my point is this:
 - Garmin make motorbike specific units that have been designed and tested for withstanding the hardships of offroad riding  . These units perform mostly faultlessly and are developed to cope with vibration, moisture and the touch screens work well with gloves. I can see why units like the Montana are popular on bikes, but I often wonder if they can really take the beating on an offroad bike.

- I understand your frustration about an unused unit failing on the first trip. I also understand the frustration about Garmin not being able to service the unit. In the end you knowingly bought a unit that was being discontinued And furthermore, the unit is out of warranty whether u used it or not.

Would be great if you had better outcome in your dealings with Garmin on this issue, but in the end it is a discontinued, out of warranty unit.
2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline WildWood

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2020, 06:56:23 am »
The unita are still available for sale in SA at Takealot